1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband stare at other women, while going together

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sacredbell, May 23, 2013.

1. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

I wear shorts pretty frequently in summer. My husband doesn't mind it--because he thinks I look good in those. I can vouch that my objective is not to get glanced by every pair of eyes that cross my way. I wear those because I love the admiration in my husband's eyes--and I want my friends to think that I look good, plus I enjoy the warm, fuzzy feeling in the heart that I am wearing clothes that suit me and make me look nice and fit. Ofcourse women can look pretty in saree and salwar kameez, and jeans too--but that's their choice, this is mine. Getting attention from random people on the way, isn't my objective---however if some people like to look for sometime-then fine, power to them -they own their eyes, it's their privilege...and I don't think that they are harassing me; I don't want /invite their glances..I am just indifferent to those.... their eyes...their problem!!

Just wanted to add my opinion on the notion that women who dress in short clothes want everybody to look at them. I want to look good for the same reasons as other women wearing pretty covered clothes do. I wear shorts when i think they make me look nicer than my full length jeans do, just the same way you might wear your pink dress because it makes you look better than your green dress. Yes I have a thick skin, don't care--sort of attitude to random people's glances...doesn't mean I am waiting for all unknown people to open out their eyes wide for me...they just are not in my priority list and bear no space in my mind--that's why I don't include them in my decision making process on what to wear and what not to !

Same way ...if another woman looks hot or whatever and my husband looks at her for a while...I am sort of ok. I know he loves me and I do not have to compete with every feminine creature for my husband's love.

1 person likes this.
  2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

I had posted a comment on shorts and there wasn't anything wrong I had
    mentioned on that but the MODERATOR has deleted that post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

I'd like to add I am a student who goes to a university where all the women wear really short stuff(and for sure all of those hundreds of women aren't all 'attention seekers', if that's how we brand women wearing shorter stuff) . If I were going to a work place, there I CARE how people look at me; I am concerned about my colleagues and want them to not stare at me -- I'd want to build a nice, formal, working relation with them, want them to take me seriously, consider me for important projects and promotions--I 'd wear formal work clothes, which wouldn't go much above the knees.....but that's because I am not indifferent to them like I am indifferent to random strangers I'd pass by on train or subway. So when i am especially concerned that people should absolutely not stare at me---and pay complete attention to my work, that's when I take care in choosing longer clothes; otherwise I don't care--and wear whatever looks better on me.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

If one wants admiring looks from one's hubby - then why won't one wear the mini-short clothes for the hubbys eyes only at home? Why wear them outside if the goal is admiring looks from hubby?

I think it is ok to wear them (upto the individuals what they wear) - just that one may honestly admit that it is because one possesses God given good looks, has taken effort to maintain that, and likes to display the good looks? In order to get admiring looks - from more than the hubby? People say we "wear it because it makes us feel good"...imagine no one else is there to look at you. Will it make you look good, you can't look at the mirror 24 hours? The "feel good" comes because others look and admire??

Does it boost confidence? or ego? or self esteem? when others (even randomers) admire us?

8 people like this.
  5. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

nothing personal but often the girls who say "i dress up for myself(and/or dh) and not for appreciation from others"
    leave me wondering why do they look so shabby [oily nighty day & night, unkempt hair] at home but extra trendy on roads.

10 people like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

This whole "I dress up for myself to feel good for myself" - I am sorry to say - sounds a bit hollow, because if there is not going to be a single person that will look at you - then how many days are you going to dress up for yourself?

This is like people working in "Home offices" - do they wear the best dress when they work at "Home office" or when they go to an "actual office"?

1 person likes this.
  7. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

most of the things can be rationalized.

8. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

I think we are separated at birth :) In other words, I agree with you so much!

3 people like this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In my personal experience women dress to impress other women, not men. Most men are woefully unaware of fashion trends or labels. At least mine can't tell the difference between leopard vs. cheetah print, or Kanjeevaram vs. Banarsi to save his life! When I go to work or to a store and another woman says,"Hey I love your shoes" or "I love your makeup". Now that makes me feel wonderful for the rest of the day. If I ask my hubby how I look, I usually get a nonchalant, "Good." I seek the appreciation (or perhaps even envy) of my fellow women only because I know they can appreciate the effort that went into my outfit or my makeup. Most women I know don't dress up to have random men on the street stare at them.

As to the topic of this thread, there is a difference between "looking to appreciate" and "looking to desire". We humans are programmed to appreciate beauty. If we weren't, we wouldn't have found our mates! I appreciate men that are good looking and well put together, but I don't desire them. Same applies to my hubby. He has this ongoing thing for Rachel Weiss, and every time she is on screen he fake sighs. I always tell he him he should thank the gods I fell for him; Rachel Weiss wouldn't have given him the time of day. Sometimes at the gym, I may point out a guy with an awesome six-pack or pecks. My hubby laughs it off by saying, "Look all you want. These jiggly man-boobs are all you're going to get!". This type of looking is very different from the leering, tongue-smacking stares some men give. The kind that make you start adjusting your clothes.

If there is trust in a relationship, it is not hard to differentiate an appreciating glance from a lascivious stare.

7 people like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Truer words were never spoken. :)