1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Why structure matters?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by bharthi, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

We all know that men love women who have a great figure. Following is a pretty interesting article as to why that might be the case...

The article says that women who have hour glass figures (narrow waists and large breasts) are more fertile than others. Read on...

It figures
    May 6th 2004
    From The Economist print edition
    In terms of fertility, geometry seems to matter

[​IMG]

GENTLEMEN may or may not prefer blondes. But, in rich countries at least, they do seem to prefer women with hour-glass figures. There have been various ideas about why this is so. The politically correct suggest that it is mere fashion—and point to evidence that tastes are sometimes different in poorer societies. Those of a more biologically deterministic frame of mind suggest that wide hips, relative to waist size, are good for child bearing, and that large breasts deliver more milk. What has not been widely suggested is that women with classic figures are simply more fertile. But that is what Grazyna Jasienska and her colleagues at Harvard University hypothesise in the latest edition of the Proceedings of the Royal Society. They have found that in women of child-bearing age, the levels of two hormones known to be associated with fertility are, as it were, geometry-dependent.

Dr Jasienska measured the vital statistics of 119 women aged between 24 and 37. She also took saliva samples from them over a whole menstrual cycle. She then divided her sample into four categories—a combination of narrow or broad waist-to-hip ratio with small or large breast-size—and looked for statistically significant differences between them in the levels of progesterone and 17-b-oestrodiol, two hormones whose concentrations are known to be related to a woman's fertility.

In the case of progesterone, both groups of narrow-waisted women had high hormone levels. In that of 17-b-oestrodiol, those with narrow waists and large breasts had elevated levels—and that level was particularly high at the time of ovulation. Indeed, it was so high that Dr Jasienska estimates such women are three times as likely as the others to become pregnant on any given occasion. In evolutionary terms that makes them very desirable mates indeed.

Why a woman's shape should reflect her hormone levels is not yet clear. That is one obvious next question to investigate. Another might be to put the boot on the other foot, and ask whether men with beer guts are less potent than their hunkier fellows.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005

2. vishnu vandana

vishnu vandana New IL'ite

how structure matters in men?

Well the article educated us on womens structure, but does any one know , wat structure man should have ?

3. Sharmili

Sharmili New IL'ite

That is a really interesting question. The stereotype is that women need to be beautiful and man needs to be wealthy inorder to be attractive to the opposite sex. Women are also not vocal about the physical requirements.

If you ask me, I would say man should not have the belly that most Indian men seem to have. They should also have good muscles in their body, particularly chest muscles, which give them a majestic look.

I can't believe I am discussing this [​IMG]

4. vishnu vandana

vishnu vandana New IL'ite

Well sharmili, don't know why its always looks for a women are seen and considered. If she is dark, fat , ugly it matters a lot. But the luck man , if he has money , his looks are not considered . Luck them.

Also we women are worried if we put on little weight and try to all possilbe ways to reduce ,

but they are never bothered .

Strange na

love vishnu

5. bangaloremsg

bangaloremsg New IL'ite

mmmm, this is a very old post, but seems very interesting to me.

Sharmili thanks to the comments about the beer belly, i will restart going to the gym. well i am O.K with my chest muscles as my wife says they are strong enough for her to sleep

Well in a man' perspective, we like women who are well dressed and who got the confidence in their eyes and keep their head high.........no matter how she looks, dark or fair, or cast or religion, or fat or thin or flat chested or bunny. We appreciate the sparkling confidence in their eyes and their behaviour and ofcourse the well dressed.

We like to see and enjoy all those, who reaveal a lot and scarsly dress and hang around just for the sake of it and many time to show off others that i am "modern".........but will we never respect them or admire them. I know many IL are going to jump on me.......but its a fact, you ask any man in private, they will tell you this truth.

6. been27

been27 New IL'ite

nice article bharti....