1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gifts from our Loving PIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by ShilpaMa, May 28, 2013.

1. rkarunak

rkarunak Silver IL'ite

believeme coolgal123 I was naive!! now I know things better.

1 person likes this.
  2. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Arch dear, why do you still call it a gift, hope this is what your MIL says to everyone, " is the earring nice, I bought it for my DIL"

1 person likes this.
  3. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

Wow, they call it Gift, ShilpMa?

And I thought my MIL was the worst to give me an outdated saree. Of 6 yrs of marriage, she has gifted once, an outdated cheap saree when they came to see DD. And after marriage no shirt/dress or any gifts to DH. And twice they have gifted DD, everytime DH informed of each and every single dress, promptly with price tag, to make sure I wont throw anything.

Our In-laws are one species!

1 person likes this.
  4. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

The only time my MIL has got anything for me was more than 10 yrs back for my wedding. That too, she had to do it out of peer pressure because it is a custom that the groom's family will buy clothes for the bride. They made a 8-10 hr drive to Coimbatore and MIL keeps bragging that they went in AC car for shopping for the bride etc :), only to buy the cheapest of dresses for me. Most salwar sets were for less than Rs 200. She could have very well saved the taxi money and got me something decent.. but then she doesnt get to show off as the rich and well off family who went all the way to Coimbatore silk shops for shopping for the wedding .It is not that my inlaws are poor, it is just that they feel that I dont deserve anything more than that.

Same with food. If MIL cooks and if it tastes decent, she will save it for herself, FIL and DH. Every single time MIL welcomes me with a loving smile and offers me to eat something I know for sure that it is stale food or something she, FIL or DH do not want to eat. "MIL thy name is cheapness "

3 people like this.
  5. pavithrakutty

pavithrakutty Bronze IL'ite

dear shilpama,know my ILS &SIL gave me some gift that i can't never use i think no body can use it know they bought it from street for

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. skans

skans Silver IL'ite

All I have ever got from MIL was a mangalsutra at my wedding. It has been 9 years since then...nothing.
    My BIL and Co-sis have been more generous. At my first birthday after wedding, BIL got me a plastic Ganesh idol. On top of that Co-sis said "Just because this is your first birthday in our house we are giving you this, dont expect every year". And I still took the gift and thanked them graciously. I was such a fool.
    And what did we give them? A FabIndia salwar suit, which she never used. Every time we would visit, she used to give a broad smile and tell me how she has not even unfolded it yet!
    Oh, and we presented them a 2bhk flat in Mumbai! Oh how I regret it now. This lady troubled me during pregnancy. I will never ever forget it. It was then that I came across IL. The ignore mantra helped me a lot. Now, anything they do or say does not affect me and I have distanced myself from them emotionally.

1 person likes this.
  7. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Same here... Every trip to In, my MIL makes a show of how we(H, D & I) have very few clothes with us (i have to sort our clothes 3 different sets, my p's place, Ils and trips). So she said lets go buy, I'll get clothes for my son, long time I got him clothes etc..
    In the shop, fight started between Mom and son... By the time they decided on 3 sets, lunch and around 5 miles of running by me and my D. After that, for my daughter, after that a browse thru silk sarees, two for MIL, and by then DIL (me)has a splitting headache. so, we reach the counter and son wandered off to chat with the owner.. Mom says, pay.. and, I paid around 10 k for H and D, around 12 k for MIL !!!
    p.s. I did get some cotton towels(?) to use at my ILs place..

Next week we are going to In,hope it rains or something, I dont want to shop again...

2 people like this.
  8. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

BTW shilpama, dont they(mils) give their very precious son( to boss us around)their golden family (to make us um, suffer), all their kitchen, wisdom(?), their house keys(except the locker keys, of course!!)as their very first gift? And, you complain about material gifts?too bad!!!

2 people like this.
  9. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

I don't understand why do they have behave so mean with dil?
    shilpma..u please use it to mop bathroom floors and clean kitchen utensils..if you have infant or toddlers..hope it helps with their potty training aswell..!
    I don't mind if they give beautiful 300/400 rs worth saree but they purposely take heavy sarees which they themselves don't prefer,..then why dil..?
    this time I decided to wear the sarees they bought on retirement function of my fil and another saree on mil side relative's wedding..?this is the best way to answer their evil acts..

7 people like this.
  10. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

Shilpa,
    You should have shown them the condition of the clothes given by them and you should tell them what you are going to do with it.

It looks as if you have cribbed them for dress and just to escape from you they have given you something.
    Seriously Shilpa I think keeping our mouths shut makes them to dance like this.

My moms cosis did the same thing in her DDs marriage to me. They have given me one ready made chudidhar which is Largest size available (For me even size "S" is loose) and that the one that would be put on dolls for display in small towns.
    Pathetic thing was they had not removed even the bell pins attached to it.
    My moms told right on face that she wouldnt allow her DD to wear such clothes and hence given it maids daughter.

2 people like this.