1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My almost 13 month old still wakes up for 6:30 AM bottle and sleeps til 8 -8:30AM

Discussion in 'Infants' started by jakaasbaby, May 18, 2013.

1. jakaasbaby

jakaasbaby New IL'ite

My LO has been sleeping through the night. Knock on wood. However she daily wakes up between 6-6:30 AM , drinks 3 oz formula and dozes to sleep while I am burping her.
    She will sleep until 8-8:30 Am. Her bed time is 8:30-9 PM. Only wakes up around 6 for milk.

I tried not to give her one team and call it a day but she was not happy waking that early. Did not eat or play well. I think she needs her sleep until 8 -8:30 AM. For some reason, she does not know how to sleep without milk after 6:30 AM. ANy suggestions? Any experiences- will this end?

She has to be on toddler formula due to her milk allergies. Moving to bedtime earlier than 8 might not work

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think its perfectly normal for her to feel hungry at that time as she already had good 10 hours without feed. Since you say moving bed time to earlier than 8 might not work, the only thing I can suggest is to keep her tummy full before goes to bed. But honestly, I think she will skip this habit in a few weeks by herself. She seems genuinely hungry. If you are very particular about not feeding at 6:30, just dont give anything until 7 and feed her breakfast early. It usually takes at least 1 week for the routine to settle down. So, dont worry if she fusses in the beginning. But I really think she is hungry at 6:30.

3. Honeyteddy

Honeyteddy Silver IL'ite

I dont think its something abnormal, my twin babies who are 14 month old stil wakes up around 3-4 am drinks milk and sleeps till 7-8 am. If you feel its not correct or good to give milk at that time as Rakhii already told give her some breakfast at 7am. If your problem is with her sleep till 8:30 then give her milk around 4-5am and check whether she will wake up soon.

4. jakaasbaby

jakaasbaby New IL'ite

thank you ladies.. I think I am giving her bottle at 6:30 AM for next couple of months.. she is not ready to start the day at 6:30 AM. She is very active and I want her to get as much sleep as possible , so if with some extra milk at 6:30 , she can sleep till 8:30 and then take 2 naps during the day, why not? I was more concerned that the feeding at 6:30 AM has become a habit now.. I guess her sleep will automatically decrease after 18 months until then doing wat I can do to get her longer to sleep is better :)

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Very normal. My daughter did too and they soon forget it as they get older. It will go away pretty soon. Nothing to worry. Sleeping longer is definitely good for kids her age.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

exactly, usually kids pretty much guide us when they are ready. If you are in no hurry for her to wake up, then i guess, just let her sleep :)

7. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

WOW..I think thats fabulous. My 1 year old child, still wakes up at 3;30 AM (7-8 hours) for a bottle of milk and sleeps until 6:30 AM. His bedtime is 8 PM. When I tried to take away that feed, his day starts at 5 AM and mine too and both of us are not ready for it. Your baby is going 10 hours and I think thats awesome:)

8. satyasrinivas80

satyasrinivas80 Silver IL'ite

OK! Lovely suggestions by amazing moms. I think for a 13 month old 8 or 8:30 is good bed time. Before you or your DH go to bed can you feed that formula? I'm talking about this from my experience but this may not work with a 13 month old. My DD started to sleeping through the night when she was 4 months old. She used to be asleep by 7:30 or Max 8 so I used to give her the formula at 10 or at 10:30. Now, you may ask how can I make an asleep child eat? All we did was lightly stroke her lips with the bottle's teat.. that's it. Or, can you increase an ounce/ feeding during the day time and see what happens?