Old Age Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ramya2205, Oct 18, 2011.

1. desikudi2013

desikudi2013 New IL'ite

Every family has own problem. Our old age parents should live in old age parents depends upon the financial and physical situation of a person. It is easy to point fingers on others, sometimes you are in better position than other person or your parents are better than other parents. I have old mom in law who lives in India, I want to help her but my sis in laws scam all the money and she doesn't get any care. They want her to live at home, so money won't stop coming and they can save for their own retirement. So when greed is there, no matter how hard you try, elderly doesn't get the care, they deserve it. In my family my mom lives in US with my brothers, she is healthy and can take care of herself. But she herself told us, if she is ever bed ridden she wants us to put her into senior citizen house since she doesnot want to burden any of us. Is there anything wrong? My sis in laws have kids to take care off,my brothers are aging too and have their own health problems. So it always depends on individual situation.I have seen how the elderly get treated by their own kids hands.if kids are not able to help them physically or financially old age is not a bad option.

1 person likes this.
  2. veenago

veenago Bronze IL'ite

HI Ramya,

My chitthi is staying in S.S.M. Residency – 'Subhashraya' http://www.ssmhome.in/ssmrhome.htm .I am not sure about the cost.Please visit the website or call them for more information

3. preity12

preity12 Senior IL'ite

Oh my God, some of the replies are just a reflection of my mind and thoughts.

I am single and take care of my ailing mother... i work in IT in mumbai and often have long working hours. Somehow I still manage to run home quickly just to satisfy my mom...
    With age she has become so much nagging and irritating that I sometimes feel that if children want to keep their parents to OAH then there is nothing wrong in it...
    I have a maid at home and however nicely you treat them, she just disappears all of a sudden... I have a huge debt to be paid off plus the medical expenses so I really cant quit job as there is no other source of income.
    Plus she puts so much pressure on me that within almost 30 min she expects me to travel 17 km in peak traffic hours...
    I almost end up running :(

But inspite of all these things i love my mother and will want to take care of her at home, though there is nothing wrong with OAH..

2 people like this.
  4. vijiramanan

vijiramanan Silver IL'ite

Hi all!
    I am staying in Sundari Sr. Citizen Home at Kovai Puthur in Coimbatore.
    It is not that children are not taking care but at this present age, they are fully occupied with their job and could not spare much time. Job is also must. Also they feel their parents are safe and comfortable in Homes. They visit me and stay with me for couple of days. Also I am very much comfortable in Home and I get all care in time.

5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    nice to hear this- after your earlier experience of old age home. Your positive attitude itself will keep you well. All the best.

6. anuvasan

anuvasan New IL'ite

Dear Vijiramanan,

I am aware your post is dated a few years back. Please respond if you have time.

My parents wanted to try senior citizens living, away from the busy-ness of city life. The first place they tried was Preetham. The one thing my parents didn't consider was the distance from main hospital and going to bank, basic groceries etc. They are now seeing deterioration of food quality at Preetham. It seems like following a 2.5 year cycle for chefs attrition rate there. My parents were actually very happy with this place for past 2 years, past 4 months have been very unsettling related to food and the senior management turning a deaf ear and not properly taking in feedback.

Both my parents gave away a lot of things and actually were determined to be on their own; and they still are. Now we are looking into comfortable places for retired living.

I am looking into a list of places in Coimbatore (seems like a serene place for them as they like this area a lot). I am astonished to find so many communities targeting 50+. Really wish the money spent on facilities and dwelling is not taken for granted by the community management.

I saw that you have moved to Sundari Sr. Citizens community in Kovai pudur. Is it alright if I ask you more details? I don't seem to find a website or any other information regarding the same.

Thanks a lot for your time.

7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    My parents know people who live in the Vanaprastha retirement community in Coimbatore. They have also visited. It is simple living, but they are happy. The place is clean, meals are provided and there is a variety of accommodation. It is however far from medical facilites.

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That is one problem with retirement homes - the distance from the main city and facilities.

The second problem is that it is alright for them to stay in such places as long as they are healthy and capable of looking after themselves or if it is minor illnesses. Once they are invalid or require intensive care, they cannot be looked after in these homes and would need to be shifted to some special facilities.