1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When your child is your little replica

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by mimi77, May 1, 2013.

1. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

This thread may appear to be a dumb one.......But still felt the need of sharing this with you just to have some ideas about the reactions of your ILs when your child is your little replica......My DD is a little me......I call her a mini me.......her nose, her eyes, her lips, her complexion, her hair, her voice, literally everything.....Now I have a not so fair complexion as compared to my DH.......My DD got my complexion and here is another opportunity for MIL and SIL to deliver their boring lectures on how to improve a child's skin tone........I get so pissed off when my SIL started suggesting the use of Keya Seth's fairness product on my 5 month old.........( My SIL is not fair unlike my MIL who considers herself a beauty queen).......I am really happy that my DD is my little replica but the lectures they deliver on fairness products is unbearable..........What are ur experiences???

Last edited: May 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. shiltalks

shiltalks Silver IL'ite

Absolutely no fairness creams for the l'il one - what BS!!!
    Next time your ILs bring the topic up, say that what is in the inside is more important than what is seen outside. And look at them really meaningfully!!!
    If they still bug you, tell them that you don't think that those products will be effective as they clearly didn't work on SIL:)
    Enjoy your DDs resemblance to you - my kids don't look anything like me :-(

1 person likes this.
  3. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Your SIL must be so stupid to advise you to apply fairness creams on a 5 month old Baby. Just tell them that fairness is not a measure for Beauty. Also tell them that you like the baby just the way she is.

My DD looks exactly like my DH and acts exactly like him so not much experience on that one :)

1 person likes this.
  4. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Talking of the fair complexion thing for babies, my MIL & SIL were full of unwarranted suggestions on how to birth a fair baby when I was pregnant.

I wonder where SIL got this from, but she was very sure that eating lots of fruits will guarantee that the baby is fair. So, MIL & SIL were together on the other side and the phone was on speaker and DH laughed out loud when he heard this thing.
    He asked - "How come you had so many fruits easily available and you never tried this yourself? Didnt anyone tell you this tip when you both were pregnant?"

DH, SIL and SIL's DD are all dusky complexioned even though MIL is very fair.

MIL & SIL had no words .. :).

4 people like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Please ignore what others (including MIL/SIL or whomsoever) say about child rearing, and follow what your doctor says. You are the mother of your DD, and you are the one and only person on this earth to have concerns on your DD's skin and tone. If you are fine with that, and do not want to apply any chemicals on a little one... openly tell them that you do not like them.

6. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Oh God! Some people can conquer all the limits set for bull**** !!!!

If they lecture you again, tell them "I love my daughter's dusky complexion. She is beautiful just the way she is"

My experience is that my MIL always keeps on saying our child will resemble the dad in everything. EVERYTHING! Crap! I get so annoyed but just let it pass.. Buggers will find one way or the other to show they are the best.

You're lucky your daughter resembles you! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

My son resembles his dad. No resemblance to me. He is a complete copy of their son so I don't have to worry on this account at least...

8. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

WHAT?!?!?! Fairness product?

Dear OP, do look your SIL/ MIL straight in their eye and say "Don't already give her a complex about her complexion. I want my child to feel comfortable in her skin and her body. I'd appreciate it if you do not talk about this any more." Then ask if they want tea to change the topic. Leave the room to make some!

Hugs,
    G

PS: I re-read your question and realized I've given unsolicited advice while you asked for our experiences. My DD is darker than me and my DH(who himself is much darker than me) - but that comes from my DH's side. There are several people - from DH's side - who asked me why my DD didn't have my colour. I said "Good thing she isn't like a gori. This at least confirms who her dad is.", winked and then went to cut apples for these guests.

3 people like this.
  9. mayaram

mayaram Senior IL'ite

OP !

I have a relatively fairer complextion , my DH is not so fair ..my elder one got her complexion from my FIL who is very dark . Intially MIL dint used to give all advices on what to use ...I told her once ...oh you have tried all this on Mama :p ....no words after that ...Though my older one is dark she has very good features and as shes growing she knows that when people compliment her :)) so Iam happy .

My younger one on the other hand is a mini me but with not sooo attractive features like my elder one ....My MIL already shows favourtism between them ....But I think I am doing a good job like for eg...she prefers my BIL 's son more than my DD ...so when my DD asked me y she likes him more than me ....i told her as we stay far and he stays close , he sees her often so hes the pet and i Wink wink ...

OP I guess working on the self confidence is more important than anything else :)))

2 people like this.
  10. skans

skans Silver IL'ite

fairness cream for a 5 month old? Is she insane? Just tell them that your child is the most beautiful baby in the whole world and you would not change a thing about her.

1 person likes this.