Do u make paneer at home ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Singapore' started by kvds, Apr 25, 2013.

1. kvds

kvds New IL'ite

Hi,

Have any 1 of u tried making paneer at home ? I've tried doing this from 3 or 4 varieties of full fat milk.... like Meiji, Farmhouse etc... but all in vein.
    If u have succeeded, pls lemme know which milk u use..... Am' just not liking this store bought paneer !!

Also , is it possible to make it from milk powder ?

Thanks.

2. Nivee

Nivee Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I did try it, but still dint get a professional output like cubes, it did have the taste of paneer, the shape was not perfect though !!!

STEPS i followed:
    1) heat meiji milk (Fresh milk), squeeze some fresh lemon in it while boiling, you will see milk solids getting separated.
    2) once where the yellowish water is fully seperated, off the stove, don't let it over boil.
    3) After cooling, use a cloth filter ( i used muslin cloth, that i got from mustafa)or any other cloth filter to let only water out.
    4) press the liquid out completely , i placed it over a bowl and used spoon to give pressure.
    5) lastly, place the cloth in a plate and place a heavy object over it, for it to get set. ( i used hand molar).
    6) i leave it overnight and then freeze it.

While using i cut those to cubes, but while placing on dish, some cubes gets collapsed :bonk, atleast the taste was pefect :cheers.

how did you try?

1 person likes this.
  3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nivee,

Thanks for the recipe :)

4. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi

I used well beaten curd and 1/2 lemon juice to make paneer. curd gives softness to paneer. I have been doing this from many yrs and the taste and shape are perfectly fine.

I boil full cream milk and mean while i mix curd and lemon juice (abt 1/2 curd) and when the milk raises i pour the curd mixture and stir the milk to curdle. when the water and curdled milk is done i turn off flame and let it cool for 5-10min and strain it into a muslin cloth i wrap the cloth in square shape and put some weight to let go excess water this i keep for abt 5min. The paneer takes square shape while helps me cut easily while preparing its dish.

Once the water is out and the paneer has taken its shape i put it in a bowl of water and place it in fridge and use next day.

sudha

2 people like this.
  5. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sudha,

This method also seems good... i had tried to prepare paneer a long time back and it was not so good, i will give it a try soon :)

6. kvds

kvds New IL'ite

Hi Nivee ---> Thanks for ur reply. Even though I follow the same steps, wonder Y Meiji fresh milk didnt work for me !!!! Anyways, will try it again n' let u know :)

Hi Sudha ----> Will have to try ur curd+lemon juice method as well :)

7. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

I usually, boil the milk. On boil, I put lemon juice and heat for another 5 min. Then I strain the water out and keep the solid part in running cold water for few minutes. Put everything in muslin cloth and squeeze the water out and let it stay overnight or atleast 4 hours in the cloth itslef.

Make shapes and freeze it. It does not taste exactly like the actual ones we get in the market. But it tastes really good.

8. naliniraut

naliniraut Bronze IL'ite

Since the fat content of the milk is low ( even in full cream milk) as compared to the milk we get in India, IT is somewhat hard to make paneer like back home. After many trial and error methods, finally I have managed to make paneer by using milk powder. The procedure is more or less same and end product is not bad at all.

9. kvds

kvds New IL'ite

Hi, I Prepared paneer from meiji fresh milk. Abt half litre milk to which i added approx 50ml Limejiuce+beaten curd mixture. The texture was good, but paneer turned out to be a bit sour :( y soooo ????

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2 people like this.