1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

When Was It Last When We Had Film Songs Based On Carnatic Music

Discussion in 'Movies' started by sunkan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

[​IMG]

when was it that we had a nice carnatic music based songs in our film, I remember the last was SHANKARABHARANAM IN TELUGU, HIS HIGHNESS ABDULLAH IN MALAYALAM, SINDHU BHAIRAVI IN TAMIL, AND UPASANEY IS OLD BUT STILL GREAT IN KANNADA…

to-day as I was watching upasaney I felt immense peace and pleasure in the songs, baratha bhoomia mandira sundari, wonderful it is still ringing in mind, and shankara is another wonder that had been with us for so many years.

When we have sages like thyagaraja, purandaradasa, have left behind a bhandar to be explored, what happened to all those music directors of those days none in the latest list, we are trying to impress the west trying to get their attention for so many awards but have left behind our heritage and forgotten what the ragas do to us when heard we have a list of them to serve for stress and only when we work at getting these into songs will it be there always for us to enjoy…

Acharavillada naaaligey ninna neesha buddiya bidu naaaligey, was so wonderful to hear in the morning, advises were given for a better living, it is something like Upanishads and Vedas for us to follow certain norms instead we have left behind a great void in the music field, there are many songs of different languages but nothing which we could hum now but what we are humming we still hum from the old pages. Will it ever improve will someone come forward to render some nice carnatic music based songs????

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sunkan,

There are lot of film songs that are based on carnatic..even today you can find great numbers..what sometimes, a single line they may change a note.
    but still there are pure songs based on ragas....

the song iyengarathu azhaga..in anniyan....is nattai
    there is a song in parthipan kanavu- in kaapi--alanguyil....
    the chandramukhi movie songs are again based on ragas...

I had list them in my blogs also...and also in one thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/games/9738-compiling-of-raagas-or-raagams-new-post.html
    where intially i used to list the movie songs based on the raga also...

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear shanthi,
    i do know one or two songs here and there, but when i mention shakarabharanam which even now is a rage, or sindhu bhairavi and malayalam bharatham and his highness abdullah, some one said sargam in malayalam is good, the complete compositions of 5 to 6 songs in a movie that has the compositions making u long for more, where are they?
    where are those kind of films of music related stories, where is the guru sishya pictures..sunkan

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    there is a programme in chennai at kamarajar arangam on 15th march wherein famous musician nityasree mahadevan will be rendering carnatic based film songs.
    regards,
    meenui

5. kalakshetra

kalakshetra Senior IL'ite

Hi,

There is a movie by name Shruthilayalu (Telugu) starring Sumalatha and Dr.Rajshekar which has got a good number of carnatic music based songs. The Malayalam movie Sargam starring Monisha has also got very good melodious songs.

6. janaki70

janaki70 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Anyone hear the songs of film Morning Raga (i think it is english movie). Sudha Ragunathan, Bombay Jayasree singing very nice. Sudha Ragunadhan's Thaye yasodah waw!!! it is very nicely.