1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Price of amar Chitra Katha complete set?

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Confused211, Apr 14, 2013.

1. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

welcome. As u Wish.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sherapova
    Thinking of books I think todays kids are much intelligent and also parents take care that kids take the stories in right perspective and I am sure it will give kids an idea only good practicable things can be taken from story books... Look at how Harry potter books become cult series... has it made kids superstitious??? if so the blame lies with parents and the environment they grew in...

Confused:
    I guess your query has been answered in detail by Paulina

2 people like this.
  3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Oh Confused, I loved your secret list...storybooks hidden within text books brings back fond memories:)

1 person likes this.
  4. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Haha. By the time of storybook hiding, I had moved on from ACK. It was hardy boys case files. A classmate and I used to exchange library books and read 4 per week. No idea how we still did very well that year :). Sheer dumb luck, perhaps, haha. I haven't read new fiction in a while. Unless you count annoying talking animals of toddler books. The last new fiction I read was before my daughter was born. I read only non-fiction now. Or known fiction in French. Much fun, as I am very slow. Need dictionary too often.

Takes me back to when I was 9 and my sister gave me my first hardy boys book and it took me a whole day to read 17 pages. The case of the missing chums. At least then, I knew the words but was just slow reading. My sister told me that all unknown words had to be looked up in this big giant Cambridge dictionary my grandfather had. In 5 short years, I was finishing whole books in under a day, however long. I read hp5 in 10 hours. Noon to 10ish at night. Hp7 in 9 h. Midnight to 9 am, lol! I was devouring them, not reading them.

Ps. Gone with the wind took a long time. It was too depressing. And annoying, as it writes for slavery. As literature, it is great. Just didn't like its perspective. Nor the protagonist. So irritating.

1 person likes this.
  5. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

Why would somebody ask to come online chat with your spouse for just book price enquiry? Beats me...

Thanks Paulina for valuable info.

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Confused :) if it is possible to be addicted to printed word, that's my problem. I used to have long bus rides to school and ended up reading (poor vision as result) on the way. Moving to boarding/hostels, I had two piles of books-one fiction and the other was my 'study book' pile. My organized and methodical friends got nervous watching me say 'I'll start studying at ..o'clock...I want it to be a round number.' Even now I have to read and relax before I start working on an assignment.

I used to read a lot of fiction...for some reason now I stick to murder mysteries. I guess life has too much drama without having to read about other people's imaginary lives. I wouldn't be surprised if I switch to another genre at some point. Living in non English speaking countries, all I can say is thank goodness for e-readers:) it will take time for me to become fluent enough to read books in the local languages.

7. sherapova

sherapova New IL'ite

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Confused,

My son is a voracious reader. he has read the whole of mahabharata and ramayana by the time he was 8. he knew a lot of things, the branch stories that many adults would not have known. on that note he has read the bible stories, the stories from quran and he has been a balanced person. the violence or whatever that some people feel is more in those stories has not affected him.he is 15 today and he can quote a story for any regular incident. he draws a lot of inspiration from what he reads. his vocabulary is good and so is his creative writing.

Again, ack is not just about the mythological stories, it is also about the regular tinkles, there is brainwave a magazine from ack that talks a lot of present day sciences and everything, also about some famous personalities. I knew archimedes principle and eureka even before it was taught at school, thanks to ack..
    we did have a discussion on this, and one ilite was against mahabharatha and ramayana stating the violence.

but i believe everything introduced in balanced way is better. tell me hearing about the boston bombings is not violence, at least the mythological stories came with a message evil is punished.

And there is more to mythological stories than what we want to understand. doesn't greek have theirs, the scots have theirs. every country has some stories. and ours is a rich diversified culture and definitely we have more.

it is again the responsiblity of the parent to check what your child learns.

for example, you arrange pen, toy, knife, gun and everything else and ask your toddler to pick. the one who is fascinated with the gun (Even if he does not realise it is wrong or not to be touched.) will pick it up, while the one who loves the toy will pick the toy. it is again based on the temperament of the child, the environment, the understanding and our support to their understanding.

At the end of the day, it is about the parents effort to understand what the child has understood, how is it effecting his thought process. and that would give us the clue to proceed.

and the price of amar chitra katha is cheaper in india is my opinion. get it delievered in india and pick it up when you are here. watch for offers. some times the offers are great temptation.

even flipkart. right now vivekananda's complete works are offered 300+rs which according to me is a steal.

2 people like this.
  9. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Yes, Shanvy, a lot of reading helps with vocabulary and also creative writing. I never thought about why my sister and I were so good at English and creative writing (I was also very good in my mother tongue, although I have lost a lot of the proficiency because I don't read or write a lot in it now; a shame). I don't remember when I first read any version of the epics but I remember reading CR's version of the Ramayana sometime in my teens. I found the book at home and of course, had to read it. One love I didn't share with my sis and father was PG Wodehouse. We had a lot of those books but I didn't like them a lot.

It is up to the parent to monitor what the child reads or if the reading warrants it, even to discuss it later. But that can be done only until a certain age, depending on the temperament of the child. Your son's reading helped hone his memory too, as he quotes from them. Win, win :).

The CR's version of Mahabharata, which I read recently, makes it quite clear that it was written by Vyasa. A story that he conceived of. Not being privy to cosmic secrets, I don't know if it ever occurred. But I like its root message. The one from the Gita part of it.

Karmanyeva adhikaraste maphaleshu kadachana
    Ma karma phala heturbhurmatey sangostvakarmani

I have used this so much in research.

Teacher, I don't like murder mysteries. I get way more than enough of that in the news. Not that I don't read anything to do with violence. To read Robin Cook is to read violence. But I read them for the medical twists, not for the violence. Sadly, I get motion sick if I read on a bus. So, despite long bus rides to work, I don't read much on the commute. You could be right about my being addicted to the printed word, though :). I read in French just because I have access. I suppose I could borrow ebooks from the library too to make life easier, but I much prefer the paper medium. There is magic in paper that ebooks can never create. I understand quite a bit of written French. Spoken? Not so much. Unless it is another non-native French speaker speaking. Because non-native speakers tend to enunciate, haha.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Confused, yeah, I've often wondered why I like mysteries...I think it is the idea of solving a puzzle. One of my BILs teases me a lot that I like reading about other people's 'death.' I don't like psychological murders or anything to do with children...it is too close fo comfort but a good murder for gain, I can dissociate myself easily:)

I am a history buff...after a trip to Cambridge I came across a book set in midieval times. I loved matching the description of the town with the current setting. I ended up doing some research of my own and got hooked. As long as I am picky with the authors it is fun to read these because they become my primary sources and I look at the place with new eyes. I would really like to read non English authors in the same genre but it is hard to get translations. Sometimes the same period is described very differently by different authors thanks to their origins and I like the differing point of view too. My husband is architecture crazy...every now and then I have something new to share thanks to these books and he gets surprised. It gets to be fun...

1 person likes this.