currently on H4 , want to pursue MS here...need Info

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Sansree, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Sansree

Sansree New IL'ite

Hi

I am in US now on H4, since I am not eligible to work here...don't want to sit at home. I want to continue studies..MS;

but need help on certain qns...

How to apply for universities?
    How abt the fee & scholorships being on H4?
    Do I need to have GRE \ TOEFL scores ?

Please do help me with the above info...

Thanks in advance.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Yes, you have to have GRE and TOEFL. You can study on H4 but cannot get paid. For that, you'll need an F1. You may be eligible for in-state fee if you go to a state university in your state, which is usually not very high.

I am not sure about getting a scholarship but most often, it is a stipend, not a scholarship. A stipend for which you work 20 h or so per week, at the university, as an RA or a TA. You can't do paid work on H4.

3. internet

internet Silver IL'ite

Hi Sansree,

you first have to give GRE and TOEFl exams. Then apply for universitites. It is not like all the state universities offer a low tuition fee. Some universities tuition is at par with private Universities fee.Shortlist some good universities in your place by program ranking, placements and internships. you can start as non resident and later after u become eligible for instate you can pay resident tuition fee for remaning courses.

Also you can visit the shortlisted universities and talk to people in advising office and also program directors for more info.

4. Sansree

Sansree New IL'ite

Thank you....

5. Sansree

Sansree New IL'ite

And one more thing....what about the academic year for MS program? If I start collecting info, approaching various schools....n finally by the time I take up course...when is the next possible time for admissions...dnt mind..I am new to US education sytem...please advice.

6. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Most programs begin in August/September, the fall semester. But a few programs may have 'rolling admissions' and thus students can start taking classes in the summer or spring semester as well.

Something else that you could consider doing is enrolling initially as a 'non degree seeking' student (many state universities allow that). As a non degree student, you can a minimum number of courses (it ranges from 1-3) that can then be transferred to your program once you have gotten admission to the program. Again, please check with the university since each school has a different set of rules.

I also recommend visiting the schools you are interested in, but before that, you can probably get a lot of information at the school's website. It's also a good idea to email professors whose work sounds interesting to you, and let them know about your interest and intent to apply for admission to their program.

In addition to your GRE and TOEFL scores, you will need all your academic transcripts from India (you might want to arrange for them to be sent here unless you have them already). Some schools may also want letters of reference (you can request your professors from India to write these for you). Sometimes you may need to get a 'course equivalency evaluation' done for foreign course work, (check the university website for foreign student admissions).

Good luck with your applications!

7. Sansree

Sansree New IL'ite

Thank you 'chitmin'.....