Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get pregnant

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by uma321, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Re: Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get preg

Hi u can have a torch test before getting pregnant,, cytomagelo virus poses a great threat to the pregnancy .. Torch test is a simple blood test using which u can find out whether at present are u infected or u are already immunec to it , it is done by checking the igg and Igm values.. If igg is positive then there is nothing to worry u can plan to get pregnant if both igg and Igm values are negative then also u don't have to worry about it , sorry to confuse u if u have any doubts pls do ask me or u can surf the net regarding torch test

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Pre Pregnancy Checklist - What are the tests you took before planning to get preg

Thanks Catgol! Let me ask my gyn about it.

3. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Uma, don't get frazzled if they won't do that cmv test for you. Ask, but they may or may not do it. It may not be indicated for everyone. It is not a commonly administered test.

4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Hasya,

Thanks! Went to the doctor today and she took the below 3 tests:

1. Rubella check (I took my MMR a month ago. I wanted to know if I have to take the second dose or I have enough immunity)

2. Thyroid Checkup

3. Anemia check up (thanks so much Hasya!)

I feel so bad that I forgot to ask the doctor to check for PCOS. I noted down all the questions. But forgot to add PCOS in the list. Is there a way to check by myself? :bonk

5. abikarthik2007

abikarthik2007 Junior IL'ite

hi uma,
    apart from the above tests, most doctors would always prefer folic acid tablets forladies to have before planning as well as once confirmed also..
    it helps the strenght of the uterus during planning.,as well as the baby once formed.
    Always test taken wud be for Heamoglobin, thyroid (TSH), scan to determine PCOS and sugar test of course!!:rotfl

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Abi,

Thanks! I'm already taking multivitamin with folic acid. I asked the doctor if I have to take one with DHA. She said it's not needed.

I somehow missed to take PCOS tested. Besides that I'm taking all other tests you mentioned. Any other way to check PCOS without going to doctor again?

7. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Insurance most likely won't pay for a scan for pcos. Chart your bbt. If under 35, unless you've been trying for 1 year with great timing, determined by bbt or opk, they typically won't test for pcos. Or if you have irregular periods consistently. Don't subject yourself to unnecessary tests.

As I said before, charting bbt will tell if you are ovulating. You're unlikely to have it if you ovulate without any assistance.

8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Hasya,

Good to know. Thanks! My BBT Thermometer (not thermostat ;) ) is on the way :)

9. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Have to add. If bbt shows that you've ovulated, you have. If opk says the same, it isn't a sure thing because lh rise can just mean an attempt to ovulate. That is why, you need to take an opk for 5 days in a row, to see it start off negative, then turn positive, and on to negative again. It still doesn't mean that ovulation has taken place. Merely that the body tried. Opk tests are expensive. I'd say, try the dollar store version. They work just fine, in my experience and to my knowledge. They have pregnancy tests too that work just fine.

10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Uma,
    Hope you got cleared of your doubts by now!
    If you have regular periods, the chances of PCOS might be very less. Check your weight against your weight & calculate the BMI. If its under the normal range, there are less chances of PCOS. Check your bbt, that can also confirm you against PCOS. All the best!
    Take care.