the story of Vishu's Konna Poo

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by saibaba171819, Apr 7, 2013.

1. saibaba171819

saibaba171819 Silver IL'ite

dear friends

Vishu is malayalee's New Year festival which falls on 14th april ( this month it is next sunday ) my father used to tell me a story of Vishu which I want to share with you. Today my father is no more, I want to remember this story and just pay my tribute to him.

during vishu yellow flowers called Konna Poo is offered to lord krishna while keeping vishu kani. These flowers have a story behind it.

In a small gramam in kerala, there was a small temple of sri krishna. the zamindar of the village had employed a poor thirumeni ( priest ) to do the pooja in the temple every morning n evening. The thirumeni used to daily come to the temple with his son of about 3 years old. while the father used to perform his duties inside the temple, the son used to play in the premises of the temple. In the afternoon the father to sleep in the verandah of the temple and the boy used to play nearby. With his half closed eye he used to watch his son enjoying in playing. the fact was that kutty krishnan used to come outof the temple and play with the little boy and so the boy was enjoyng and playing. the boy used to play as if he is playing with group of boys, laughing, screaming, running. This practice followed everyday. Once on the previous day of Vishu, the father cleaned the temple premises, cleaned the inside of the temple. he got exhausted and slept outside the temple in the verandah. he told his son to play nearby not to go far off. the boy was playing near his father, on that afternoon kutty krishnan gave his waist belt which was full of golden bells to the boy as the Vishu Kayneetum. the boy was very happy to receive, he was holding the waist belt and gazing at it. at that time the zamindar arrived at the temple and he saw the golden waistbelt of Krishna in the hands of the boy. he immediately raised an alarm, called all villagers and declared that the father and son are robbers. he seized the waist belt from the boys hand. the father started crying and pleading that they have not stolen anything. at that time kutty krishnan was watching it got very angry.he flung the waist belt from the zamindars hand, it went and fell on a konna tree which was next to the temple, the golden bells of the waist belt became soft yellow flowers. these flowers are called as konna poo which are even today offered to lord krishna in the vishu kani because it pleases lord krishna and reminds of his love for the small boy who was very dear to him.

wishing all my friends a happy Vishu, Happy gudi padwa and happy ram navmi in advance,:)

2. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

I have heard that konnapoo resembles Krishna`s chalangai.Never knew the story behind it. Thanks for sharing.

aarudhra likes this.
  3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Very beautiful story..Thanks for sharing..:)

4. crazyqueen

crazyqueen Silver IL'ite

I never new this story behind konna poo...

Vishu Dhina Aasamshagal...

5. kokila19

kokila19 Bronze IL'ite

Never heard of this story. THanks for sharing it.:)

6. aarudhra

aarudhra New IL'ite

Very nice to know the story behind this auspicious flower. Thank you and Happy Vishu to all our friends.

7. Shivalaya

Shivalaya Silver IL'ite

Wow. I didn't knew this, being a palakkad 'an

8. HYDGIRL1234

HYDGIRL1234 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the story

9. Mery

Mery Silver IL'ite

Thanx for sharing such a great story behind konna poo... Happy vishu in advance to all my IL friends...

10. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Recently I heard. Somewhat a similar story but in that Lord krishna asked his devotee to make the waist belt out of these vishukkonnai.
    That's how the traditionally the design of the Araighan(waist belt) is like small chadanghai....resembling the flower buds.
    Any how I personally knew many people who has been blessed in different ways by
    Unni Krishnan.including myself.
    Narayana Akila guro, Bhavan namastee
    Poorni