1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How do you wash vegetables?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Vatsinaname, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Vatsinaname

Vatsinaname Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    In this world of pesticides and insecticides, how do we know we are eating vegetables and fruits and not fertilisers. How well do you wash your vegetables and fruits? Have you tried Kent vegetable purifier? Do you use potassium permanganate?
    I am genuinely interested in knowing about this. Please share your views and ways.

2. kundavai

kundavai New IL'ite

Hi,
    I usually put some rock salt in water and then put my vegetables in them leave it for half an hour. Have read it some where and it helps to remove those chemicals.

1 person likes this.
  3. luvli

luvli Silver IL'ite

me too... Specially for fruits like grapes which we eat with skin...

1 person likes this.
  4. Hachiko

Hachiko Gold IL'ite

I washed with running tap water.

1 person likes this.
  5. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I fill my sink with water add one cup of white vinegar and let the fruits and veggies soak for 30 mins and then put them in drainer + after the water's gone put it in the fridge.

4 people like this.
  6. Mumtotwo

Mumtotwo Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I use vinegar and baking soda to wash veggies and fruits. This is how you do it (source:happyherbivore.com):

How to clean produce with vinegar:

For smooth-skinned fruits and vegetables: Pour white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle with 3 cups water. Secure lid and shake well to thoroughly combine the ingredients. Spray the fruit/vegetable enough so the entire food is covered (about 6 sprays). Rub your fruit/vegetable to make sure it is well covered. After a minute or so, rinse fruit/vegetable under cold running water to remove the vinegar (and vinegar taste). Pat dry before slicing or eating.

For leafy greens: Pour white distilled vinegar into a large bowl and add 3 cups water. Stir with a large spoon to mix the liquids together. Separate the leaves of your leafy vegetables and dip them into the vinegar solution. Remove leaves from the bowl and rinse under cold running water. Shake off excess liquid and let air dry or pat dry before serving.

For vegetables with crevices (i.e., broccoli): Pour white distilled vinegar into a large bowl and add 3 cups water. Stir with a large spoon to mix the liquids together. Place vegetable in a large bowl and submerge. Let soak for at least two minutes. Rinse under cold water and shake off excess. Let air dry or pay dry before cooking or serving.

How to clean produce with baking soda:

For sturdy (not soft-skinned) fruits and vegetables: Sprinkle baking soda generously on your fruit/vegetable and scrub. Rinse under cold running water until all traces of the baking soda are gone.

For leafy greens: Sprinkle baking soda all over the leafy greens and let sit for about 2 minutes before lightly scrubbing and rinsing thoroughly.

4 people like this.
  7. Vatsinaname

Vatsinaname Bronze IL'ite

Great tips. I never knew about using vinegar for washing veggies though I also use rock salt sometimes. Will start using vinegar also. Thanks a lot. Ver informative posts.

8. Akcent

Akcent New IL'ite

Well,I am agree with your review.Mostly we should be use the vegetables after the washing.
    Because it so good purpose for the health care and fitness of the body.Vegetables are so
    good for the health and fitness of the body.....