1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Engaged by tensed

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by RecentlyEngaged, Apr 10, 2013.

1. RecentlyEngaged

RecentlyEngaged New IL'ite

Hi.. i am following this forum for some time now and now i have a situation which i want to share and get your opinions. Please suggest.

I got engaged 3 months back and my marriage is in May. He completed his masters and doing his job there. This is an arranged marriage. After the engagement he left to USA and from then on wards he calls me once in two days. I like him (he is very caring and lovable) and he also likes me.

A little bit about my background: I have 2 elder sisters, and one elder brother. I am very very close with my brothers family(married and have a son), father, and with one sisters family(married and has a daughter). When my second sister got married(2 years back) and left us(to a place which is just 600 km away) all of us are very sad(i know it is very normal). But i never saw my father like that before. He was crying for 2 full days and those memories are very strong in my head.

Now, i am getting married in less than 2 months and after that i will be leaving to USA. Rather then getting excited and happy about the marriage the whole day i am sad and tensed that i will be leaving all my family and going to a very far place. Initially when my parents said, we got a match from USA, i was on cloud 9. But as days are passing, and marriage is getting near, that feeling is going of and a unknown feeling of tension is rising inside me. What will happen to my father after i leave ? And many other things..I know i should be excited but i am not.

Is this normal ? How did u feel before marriage ? Excited ? tensed ? happy ? sad ? all of them ? Please advice. Thanks.

2. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

It is Normal...It will continue even after reaching US. It took a good whole year for me to get a little comfortable in US. But leave all that aside and think about the wedding and the shopping...come on girl....you can shop until you drop...It is the best thing about wedding..ain't it?

3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

You need to have a long chat with your father. Explain to him that being married doesn't mean breaking existing relationships. Tell him it's a big step in your life and you too have many fears. You are looking up to him for strength and that he should be strong and supportive for you. Tell him you will call him daily (I'm married for 5 yrs and I still call my dad daily) and Skype often...

Don't worry everything will be okay. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Hey dont worry..By now your dad must have got used to the fact that daughters will leave them at one point..He will surely not react in the way that he did during your sister's time..Anyway i still understand your concerns since you are moving to the US..Nevertheless,enjoy this time..

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Its very normal. You do have mixed feelings; sad that you will be leaving everything behind and happy that you have something new to look forward to.
    Try not to be sad, these days you can communicate very easily with your parents on skype etc. Yes, geographical distance would prevent your frequent trips back home but thats something you have to be prepared for now.

6. kamdev1

kamdev1 Silver IL'ite

Indian daughters will leave them their father after marriage. I am sure you father is mentally prepared.
    But still he needs to hear from you that you will always be in touch.
    Fathers also feel the need to be told, that they are loved and will be missed.
    Spend good time

7. RecentlyEngaged

Thanks for the reply. You got it wrong. My dad is very normal and supportive with me now. He is not showing even slight signs of sadness. Even in my sisters case he is very happy until she left. It is only after she left he broke down and till this day my sister don't know that. So, i know that will happen even with me. So, I am kid of sad.

8. RecentlyEngaged

Thanks all for your wonderful replies. Makes me feel better. Thanks.

9. londongirl

londongirl Senior IL'ite

Though it varies from individual to individual ..i would suggest you to transform yourself to reality and make your dad also understand that it is a part and parcel of life. But your dad would definitely making up his mind as he has already faced the situation before. Please enjoy the present to the best..Gud Luck

10. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Congratulations, Get Skype and a unlimited calling plan to India you will be fine after a few days.

1 person likes this.