Welcome Nov 2013 Moms :-)

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by LLavanya, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Illinios Teratogen Information Service » Archive » Vitamin A and Pregnancy
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Carrots, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A099]

Summary. Beta carotene is pro-vitamin a, not vitamin a. Conversion levels are determined by the vitamin a status of the individual. More vitamin a in body results in lower conversion.

1 medium carrot has about 10000 IU beta carotene.

Vitamin a consumption should be limited to 5000 IU a day. Hold your horses. This is for pre-formed vitamin A. Not the form found in carrots.

Mineral uptake is complex. Just as you won't easily overdose on non-heme aka plant iron, you won't easily overdose on plant pro-vitamin a either. If you eat too much, your skin may turn yellow. Really. But that only means that you have unchanged beta carotene sitting in your fat cells. This is a harmless, easily reversed condition. Why would one develop this if all pro-vitamin a gets converted to vitamin a? If you eat too much beta-carotene, it will just sit in your fat cells. Just the same as anything we consume and our body cannot use. Like toxins. Which is why, trying to lose fat or make your body burn fat is a bad idea during pregnancy. You don't want those things coming into your bloodstream. On the other hand, if you do lose some weight inadvertently, it isn't the end of the world. You may have just lost water weight. Or even if you burnt through fat, it is actively trying to lose weight which is bad. Exercising to keep weight gain within medically acceptable levels and to keep yourself fit to endure labour, delivery and for postpartum recovery is ok!

Most of you will melt the pounds away just by following current breast feeding recommendations. I promise. You may find a few stubborn pounds at the end that will need exercise but most of it will go. Just educate yourself about how wonderful breast feeding is, to the child and the mother, and don't give in to societal pressures like, "if he or she is old enough to ask for it, it is time to stop". Your child will start asking for other food too. Would you stop giving it? No! Why should this be any different?

Bottom line. You have an exciting journey ahead of you. Don't stress out about a carrot. Avoid eating liver as that is where animals store excess fat soluble vitamins. Your normal diet is most likely just fine as long is it doesn't include junk. Opt for whole fruit or vegetable instead of juice. Cover your vegetable while cooking it so that water soluble vitamins don't escape. Use this time to find out how best to prepare yourself for the demands of labour and delivery and postpartum challenges like breastfeeding. For no, it doesn't come naturally to everyone, especially if you have a c-section and/or didn't begin nursing immediately after birth.

1 person likes this.
  2. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

I am still spotting .....

Today I went to see Doctor and she asked me to take RHOGAM shot.....since I am RH negative and my hubby is RH positive....hope my bleeding will stop...Please pray for me.

3. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

4. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Will Definitely pray for u. Wish u a speedy recovery.take care

5. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Take Care..will definitely pray for you..

6. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Srilak dear, everything will be fine.. Sure our prayers are with u.. Take care..

7. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

hi can i join in here? i just tested positive. though the due date wud be early december. thanx!

3 people like this.
  8. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

I lost the battle...u guys carry on. All the best to everyone.

9. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Oh no! A successful pregnancy will happen for you soon though it may not seem like it now. Before it does, figure out about rhogam shots. Having had one pregnancy, it is imperative that you get one at the right time for the next one.

It does feel as though a part of you left you. It was a part of you. Don't feel shy to grieve. And through grieving, comes healing. You may never completely heal but that is ok. Each and every baby you carry leaves behind some cells in you. He or she is somewhere in there. Cry, if you want. Shriek if you want. But also try meditating or whatever soothes you. Good luck healing. Remember, your body has been through much. Give it a break.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

I took the digital hpt and it showed that I'm pregnant. Acc to the LMP, I'm 6 weeks. My due date is 24th nov. Yahooooooo! I do have to confirm with a blood test though, until then im crossing my fingers. Congratulations ladies!

Due to me being away from my husband, ( i will join him next month) I had no hopes of being pregnant as a result, I stopped taking my multivitamins ( which i used to take for 4 months but stopped since Jan . I am feeling guilty now... Hope it is ok if I start on prenatals from today. I read that brain starts developing in 5 weeks. Feeling so bad!

4 people like this.