1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Cast Iron Skillet

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by SriPriya123, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SriPriya123

SriPriya123 Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I've been using cast iron tawas for dosa and rotis forever and was inspired to buy a Cast iron skillet..

The food cooked great.. and fast.. and one day by mistake i left the food like that in the morning and in the night when i saw i could see some rust.. can some one tell me how they use Cast Iron skillets in indian cooking and most of all how do you maintain it..

Please help, based on ur responses, i have to decide whether to keep the two skillets i got or to return them..

Thanks

2. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

The most important thing to remember when using a cast iron utensil is not leave the food in the vessel. Always shift the food to your casserole or something as soon as its cooked!

Do you have a flame burner or coil burner? I am also looking for a cast iron skillet. Did you get it from India?
    Its very good nutrition wise.
    I used it regularly on my flame burners in India but can't use the same here in US coz of flat coil burners..

Cheers!!

3. SriPriya123

I'm having electric stove only, but have no issues with it.

The problem is after cooking also - how to clean it. I read in so many places not to use soap. but how to clean the greasiness of the pan??

4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

1) Never leave cooked food in Iron pans.
    2) After you wash (with/without soap), wipe it with a cloth/tissue, smear a drop of oil on both outside and inside and again wipe it with the tissue paper and leave it in open air (to prevent rust)

1 person likes this.
  5. SriPriya123

Thanks hrastro ... One more thing -

Can we cook tomato based/ tamarind based dishes? what is the problem if we attempt to.. Are there any more restrictions on the dishes that we can cook in cast iron?

And the pan is already rusted, even if i wash it isnt going.. How do i start using the pan again?

Thanks for ur time..

6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

You're welcome,
    Again, the answers are the same - sambar, rasam you can boil, and serve it in another vessel immediately.
    but if you're making dry sabji with tomato or tamarind, better to avoid it or else try to use more oil !!!

They are best for yummy crisp dosas and parathas ... roasted veggies is also good but try and avoid gravy dishes.

Keep the pan "well seasoned" - check google on this !!!

For the rust, try scraping and give the "wipe with oil" treatment for a day or two - if it works you're lucky !!!

I have seen "how to"s on Google to remove rust from cast iron - they've done it for pans that have been in the garage for decades - so it is not impossible to remove - but it is hard work - just google and check :)

7. SriPriya123

Uh oh!! i already have a tawa for dosa/chapati.. was hoping i can use this as a kadai.. and make side dishes.. instead of the non-stick/ anodised kadai i have..

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

You can still make yummy crispy dry sabjis :)

9. sillybirdie

sillybirdie Senior IL'ite

Hi Khanaksmom

You can buy cast iron skillet from amazon. check lodge or nordicware cast iron skillet in amazon.com. I bought lodge product recently and I am pretty happy with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. pdarshini

pdarshini Silver IL'ite

Is cast iron skillet only for fries and not curry dishes?I opted to buy lodge skillets but I dont have any knowledge about cooking in cast iron...till now I have been using nonstick...please suggest what all can be done apart from frys,dosas