1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Give me tips for organizing closets

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Ushie, May 12, 2009.

1. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Please give me some tips to organise my closets, I am very poor in organizing and even when I do it quickly get into a mess. I dont have any organizer in the closets, I have 2 walk in closets and 2 small closets, filled with clothes and lot of items. Thanks:)

2. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hi Ushies,

Even i have tough time to organize closets.Have browsed a lot in the internet and in IL. Let me give few tips.
    • In walkin closets put shirts and pants and trousers using hangers.With hangers clothes will be neat.
    • For intimates and socks use plastic boxes or small cotton boxes in which we get grocarries from Costco or any other store.You can fold them one by one and pile easily.One box for one category.
    • For organized arrangement of socks, place pair of socks one upon the other and fold round from one end till the other.In this way it is easy to pick socks and looks neat
    • Keep two boxes one for used socks and other for washed ones.You can use shoe box or grocessary covers whicever convenient for you.
    • In small closets place folded T shirts and other small stuff.
    Hope this info is useful for you.Check the old thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/cleaning-and-organizing/19369-how-do-u-organize-clothes.html

3. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi madhurisatya,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I am the one to clean and organise everything in my home which will quickly get into a mess. I will definetly use your ideas. thanks:)

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

First of all sort your clothes into 3 piles

1st pile - regularly used clothes that you have worn in the past 3 months
    2nd pile - occasionaly used clothes that you have worn in the past 6 months
    3rd pile - clothes you dont like or have not worn in the past 6 months.

Now take the first pile of clothes and divide into summer and winter clothes. these clothes should be rotated by season and should be in the closet you use the most. when not in use, put into boxes and store elsewhere.

2nd pile of clothes can be stored elsewhere besides your main closet.

3rd pile - donate it or put into suitcases and store elsewhere. I believe in donating it so that I don't have to store it.

In the main closet, hang pants and tops on hangers. Gym type clothes eg shirts and track pants can be stored in plastic boxes such as these

Walmart.com: Sterilite 73-Quart Storage Bin in White, Set of 4: Storage & Organization

I just dump my tshirts, pants and nighsuits into these boxes without folding which saves me a lot of time after doing laundry.

I use additional plastic boxes to store my underwear, bras and socks. This makes putting away laundry a much easier task.

Walmart.com: Sterilite 7-Quart Latch Box in Clear/Lime, Set of 14: Storage & Organization

I have an 8month old son. In his closet, I use smaller plastic boxes to organize his clothes. additionally, every month I go through his clothes and remove the ones have gotten smaller or are not good for the current season.

5. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ushie,

I bought this one from ikea & hanged it to a rod in closet.

IKEA | Organizers | Children's small storage | MINIFÃ…NGST | Hanging storage/ 3 compartments

The small one I hanged it on the entrance side closet & I put socks,gloves,hanky's if any.
    One for my socks,one for my husband, one for both gloves.

The bigger one with 6 compartments( but I stitched last two, because it's too long to hang) I used it for inners in the bedroom closet.
    It occupies less space but the bigger will lasts for 3-4 years or so depending on the weight u put.Mine is good even after 2 years though I put more weight.

6. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi pmahensa, mythilimurali,

Thanks for your tips. I am in the process of organising my closets. I will follow your ideas. thanks:)

7. bearpal

bearpal Guest

Hi,

Here are some tips that I can think of:
    1. Put one socks into the other, so that they dont get lost
    2. Hangers and plastic boxes as someone else suggested; especially, big plastic boxes from Costco; also gift boxes for special clothes.
    3. Write a list in a stick-on and attach it to the closet door, if it is a suitcase, write a label and stick; or have a notebook with a list and indexed.
    4. remove/donate clutter
    5. Use the rectangular storage rack in cloth from IKEA and add boxes in there for storage
    6. Hangers in wooden for special and heavy clothes, in plastic (some of them slip proof). For kids, soft,cute colors. For skirts/pants, use plastic bins.
    7. Divide: for example, nightwear and innerwear is one place/room/closet, outerwear in another.
    8. Pack winter during Spring into plastic boxes or suitcases.
    9. If there are clothes that dont fit you and you are trying to fit into :), keep them in a separate box.
    10. Have separate clear boxes for kids toys, accessories, books, school stuff, and more.

Divide, label, hang/use tools. Its fun, but it is not a one-time effort!

8. Ushie

Ushie Senior IL'ite

Hi bearpal, thanks for your tips. they are very useful:)

9. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

nice tips... will try following them

10. subap

subap Junior IL'ite