1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stood up today - Am I being rude?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by silvertulip, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"Take your husband into confidence" is stellar advice. I would suggest taking the maid also into confidence. :coffee

SilverTulip, nice signature. :)

2 people like this.
  2. soshana

soshana Senior IL'ite

Exactly what I wanted to say, better to deal then and there instead of exploding one day and even that day you will be one that woud need help. She will still be fine and be wondering and then blaming you that you are incapable, not family girl etc.

2 people like this.
  3. DinkyManoj

DinkyManoj Silver IL'ite

Oh my goddddddddddddd!

Your are soooooooo patient, I don't understand how you put up with her! My my, she behaves like a demon! I would have surely asked you know what " do you expect me to ask permission even before I go to loo" lol:)
    You are not her slave! What you did today is absolutely wonderful. Don't bend down so much for her and never let her talk I'll about your mom and the way she grew you up! You don't answer her for anything for a week just do what she says and if at all she forces you to speak you tell her that watever I speak you say that I don't respect you, so why open my mouth!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Rihana...:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :thumbsup ...

wish.... if wishes could come true :)

Silvertulip.....seriously dear.... you have hell lot of patience.....n why r u sounding guilty...... you did the right thing....else she would have really eaten you up instead of the eggs...

btw... after reading your post... I actually made egg bhurji for lunch today... :-D

6 people like this.
  5. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

My head is spinning! Do continue your silent treatment but tell your husband that you're doing it or next, she'll try to create problems between you 2 by pointing out your behaviour and trying to gain sympathy.

1 person likes this.
  6. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

I would have eaten the eggs happily after her instruction first or
    the second time
    so that she would not bug me further.Then I would ask her with an innocent face if she wants me to eat any more
    I pray God to make such monster in laws dumb for ever

1 person likes this.
  7. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

I just couldn't read past the EGGS!..lol.

I think you are at fault for giving her this much of leniance...you should have done this long back...anyways,you did a great job of handling her infront of cousin SIL..if you would have created a ruckus too infront of her,then the relatives would have started pressurizing your DH to take control of his wife.

But next time onwards,be very firm and assertive in your answers..she can't be treating someone else's daughter like this...go on vit silent treatment and no apologies.

P.S-i sympathize with the maid too..give her some extra bucks on the sly,for two readons..one for tolerating your MIL and other for, keeping her job...very high chances she might run away and you will become the replacing maid.

8 people like this.
  8. DrKadambari

DrKadambari Gold IL'ite

You got way too much patience. Now that you have put your foot down stay that way and dont take any non sense. I wonder how you even manage to live in this non stop nonsense for even basic things.

Girl do you think one day you can just speak your heart out - Like look MIL..I have all the respect for you as a lady and more becase you have given birth to a wonderful son. But we all live in the same house, if I have restrictions for even the basic things then its not a house, it feels extremely uncomfortable. Respect is not shown for silly things like going out for walk to even to pee in the bathroom. It just brings unpleasant atmosphere and we dont set an example of a good family. It just spoils your, your sons and my peace. Why dont we be cordial, I am speaking all this as I feel I am a part of this house and want to be so always together. bla bla. (OP, i dont have first hand experience in such, its just my expectation that things might go well after this)

BTW dont speaking anything with the maid in MILs back, keep them at their place, else they will start taking undue advantage of this chaotic situation at home.

4 people like this.
  9. coolpinky

coolpinky Platinum IL'ite

Sivertulip,
    U have done a good job by opening your mouth. Ur MIL cannot exepect a robotic job from you.
    U should give such "Cleansing statements" now and then.
    Atleast for some time from now on ur MIL will watch her words.
    Have no fear. Ur DH supports you.
    Its not fair fior anyone to intrude into anyone eating choice and habits.
    Now just be normal and behave as if nothing has happened. Dont try to give extra comfort to her in this phase.
    I have show my MIL her place once or twice from then onwards these taunts are reduced.
    Now and then it still happens but I give a damn.
    And ha dont repeat the act of giving her back again and again. Else it may loose its impact,
    It should come like a sudden blow to them unexpectedly.
    Hope u found this tip useful ;-P :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  10. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Thanks friends for the ideas and suggestions! :)

I am not going to take her nonsense and wont tolerate her rude talking about my mom. Let me get a chance and I will tell her that she should not talk so disrespectfully about my mom. I gave her silent treatment whole day ystrday and just did minimal talking. I instructed maid to give her milk and other stuff as in when required and went off to my room. She tried shouting once in the evening but I walked off within 10 seconds of her drama without any reaction. And yes, I heard DH scolding her for why she is acting so irrational! :biggrin2:

Telling my DH more about MIL is like bad mouthing abt her to him. It will bug him like he gets bugged with MIL's complaints abt me. So I prefer to avoid it but yes, when she acts nasty and nags me, I make it clear that I don't like his mother's behavior. Right now DH knows that I am bugged with the way she spoke about my mom and things she said about me. He will tell her that somehow and I will also ensure that she gets the msg from me (whenever possible) that I wont take such nonsense from her! :twisted:

4 people like this.