1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Greens (leafy green veggies) available in the US

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by alady, Mar 30, 2013.

1. alady

alady Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Initially I uses to be able to identify only Spinach in the supermarket and kept buying it all the time. Recently we got brave and tried two others and they were VERY delicious. We tried (1) beet-root greens and (2) Kale. Both of them could be cooked just like spinach - very soft, mild flavors. They go well with Dal/Sambar rice as well as rotis.

Our greens making style is simple and quick. Start with Oil + Mustard + Urid dal in a pressure cooker. Once mustard crackles add chopped onions. Wait for a minute or two. Then add chopped greens + 2 tbspoons shredded coconut + 1 tbspoon sambar powder + 2 tablespoons moong dal soaked in water for 10 mins. Then I close the cooker, wait for 1 whistle. And then voila, it's done!

Just wanted to share this here...because we didn't have both these green back home where I grew up. And I can't believe I didn't try these out all these years. They are yummy!!!

I can eat barely eat salads - since rice and indian curries are so much more tempting to have on a daily basis. So greens cooked like this have become the best way for me to include leafy veggies in my diet.

Do any of you have any other greens you like in the US? Or any other easy/tasty cooking recipes for greens? How often do you try to include greens in a week?

Cheers to healthy cooking!

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

If you get dill you can go for it. Not many like their sticky texture. I chop & use them in the dosa batter and make dosas. Sometimes I grind just plain rice & chop dill, add it to the batter and also make dosas. They come out very well.

1 person likes this.
  4. alady

alady Senior IL'ite

Thank you Supriya and Mimur9!

5. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

How about leeks? I've found them somewhat versatile too.