1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tact

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Uttering wat wrong time, the right fact,
    May not leave your bones unscathed and intact.

Chitra, great one on tact but too much tact can get one into trouble. Here is an example of it:

One pope during a visit to the uNited States was advised to be careful when answering questions by tabloid journalists. So at a press conference the pope was asked whether he oplanned to visit strip joints in the US. Now the guy was in a fix. He can't say yes and if he said no, the tabloid press will treat it as if he has been visiting strip joints elsewhere with the headline POPE NOT TO VISIT STRIPPER CLUBS. So he thought he was being very tactful when he replied to the question with a question:Are there strip clubs in the US?. And the next day headline in the tabloids was: ARE THERE STRIP CLUBS IN THE US/ THE POPE WANTS TO KINOW.

6 people like this.
  2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

AC, Well said!
    Am not the person who can argue at length till we reach the logical end. So I generally tread lightly on issues that I know are sensitive and that aren’t worth arguing about. The Golden rule for me is to just imagine how it would sound if it was said to me, so I try doing a little phrase tweaking until it is something I, too, would be happy or glad hearing.

Something which I do often with DH is write it out(Email). It keeps the emotion and heat away in a way, that I get the opportunity to write out the whole view on an issue without being interrupted, then allow myself to rethink, reprocess the whole response instead of having a knee jerk reaction to whatever was said, Which can later lead to saying things like ”Oh I really didn’t mean that”.
    So yea..Alot of Tact and diplomacy is needed..

5 people like this.
  3. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

My dear AC,
    very nice post!I liked it very much because of Personal reasons-relativity!
    One lady doesn't like me-so she tried her best to trouble me!
    But I made her understand that her enmity cannot destroy me as- Dhramo rakshati raksita!
    About tact I am learning tact----art of being tactful from a renowned person,hope I will excel in it!
    Take care.

2 people like this.
  4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Balajee
    What an unexpected treat.. you saying the word "great" on something I write... NOw see what you have gone and done..
    In my elation at getting this compliment from a seasoned writer I got added 2 more pounds!!!!! haha
    Enjoyed the Pope example.. your sense of humor is too good:)
    Thanks for the visit and nice words:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Anandchitra

My admiration for you Parineetha has skyrocketed with this amazing experienced comment from you. Trust me I could learn more than a thing or two from you and will happily and eagerly learn from you.
    I remind myself to practice tact with family but I remain as I am with others.. so those who still stick around me.. not sure why?? haha.. Still in all seriousness lot of tact and diplomacy is needed in todays world.
    Thanks for stepping in with a lovely comment. btw your font size needs to increase i think :) See I said that with tact :)))

2 people like this.
  6. Anandchitra

Dear Seethavarma
    Thanks for stepping in with the comment. I really thought no one is going to reply or comment the topic being such. I also always assume everyone in the world is very tactful save me!
    I guess all of us face this in varying degrees then.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,

i will agree with u there. i have a habit of shooting y opinion on each and every thing .M any ay not agree to my views, but then , why should anyone miond it at all. people tend to take yr words personally, for reasons best known to them, when the thing is said in general , and not pointed to anyone personally. At a party, i was telling someone , that i have two daughters and dont regret having a son, for the qauality of the sons is suspect these days.

a lady , i dont know who, standing behind me, turned and told e, " i have seen bad daughters in my neighbourhood, and good sons, and i have sons and they are so good etc, taking things to a personal level.

i a happy her sons are good to her, but they are exceptions to what we are seeing today. So when we talk say saying politicians are corrupt, it means MOST , some are still good and honest. Same with the police.

So dont u bother about what others say, speak yr mind out, friends wont mind it, and to those that mind, arfe not worth to be close to u.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  8. Anandchitra

My dear Kamal
    This shows how same we both are.. I too have no fear in telling as is.. Here the key to our peace is we are honest to our own self;
    In the name of tact if we try and not say something from our heart like we want to say then we are being dishonest with our own self only.
    There is popular saying which i love.. "those who mind dont matterl those who matter dont mind"
    Always happy to see you.. there is still beer chilled in the fridge :)))

1 person likes this.
  9. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Oh My My...Adorable AC!
    now look at my font size..:whistle

2 people like this.
  10. Anandchitra

Thank you dear..:wink:

Just for you ..

love1.jpg

2 people like this.