1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle my hurt

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Sandi001, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Sandi001

Sandi001 New IL'ite

Hi

I am married now for more than 7 years and live in Germany with my husband. We dont have kids yet. I have 2 SILs out of which one is living in Germany.

I dont have a good relationship with my Inlaws. In 2011, in one fine occasion, my MIL and SIL started abusing me horribly which went for around 3 hrs. They complained and blamed me that I am lazy, I dont do any work, I am irresponsible, just roaming around (in a typical tamil slang "Ooru suthite irukka"). I didnt open my mouth but my husband said a few things for me but it was getting worse. We then came back to Germany and I tried to talk with my other SIL here but she started defending her parents and didn't care to understand me. After 6 months my husband tried to talk to his mother about this but she was again abusing me and my mother. The whole 1.5 years nobody talked about that incident and they wanted that "I should ignore whatever they have abused me because in-laws will be like that only and only the DILs should ignore that and be kind to the husbands family". But it was going on in my mind all the time, and me and my husband were having problems because of that every now and then. I was not comfortable talking to them or visiting my SIL, and staying for many weeks in my PILs house, yet I had to. We have been giving around Rs 20 to 25k every month including our house which they wanted us to buy for them, since 6 years now.

My husband tried to talk about this to his mother when we went to her place next time in 2012 end, but she was again ONLY complaining about me and my mother and my husband didn't tell anything back thinking that it will help her to be more open to hear our side when we all sit together and talk after i come back from my mother's place. But, later one day my husband wanted to talk to her to ask for permission for me also to join him to visit his friend in Chennai (he was supposed to go alone as my MIL was complaining that I keep roaming and talking in phone all the time, though me and my DH dont agree and feel she is exagerating). But when he said that "amma, I want to talk to you something" and took her to a room, and before he said any other word, she started shouting like hell with all abusive words that I have seen only in TV. She cursed us that we will not come up in life (like neenga urupudave maateenga) and we will not have kids and all the things. Things didnt go well at all and we returned to Germany.

Now they dont want to talk about anything, they dont understand and accept me and they dont want to hear ANYTHING what I want to say, but still I should be quite connected to the family and keep talking to them, give them more money and everything. My MIL has never ever asked my husband to give the phone to me and my SIL who is living close to us has never called me. The men dont talk much in this family, esp my FIL does not talk anything. So my MIL easily, directly or indirectly abuses me also in usual phone conversation with my husband and he does not talk anything back in return which is easier for her.

What I think would be comforting is that, atleast one member in their family can tell me that "Amma need not talk like this about you. You dont need all this abuses and I understand you are quite hurt by that. But she is old and we cannot changer her. (She is 58 years old) But for the sake of the family it will be good if you can ignore that. Atleast then I would have one person in the family who knows me and understands me, but now I dont have anybody in the family to find support with.

This is now becoming too much for me to handle. I see only complaints and blames and judgements about me in this relationship and no love at all. I have taken lot of stress in this now and hurt quite a lot that I get so irritated when my husband talk to her. They want all the things to be dormant and kept under the carpet and walk over it as if nothing has happened. But for me it is fuming under the carpet all the time and if it is dormant it is bound to explode one day. I would really like to explain my pain and be heard, understood and accepted. For this again they start blaming me that in laws will be like that and I am too sensitive to ignore them. But since none of this is happening, for my peace I am thinking of informing them formally that I am not comfortable in this relationship anymore and that it is best for all of us to stay disconnected and that when I come to India I will just visit them for 1 or 2 days and not stay longer. So that they can spend good time with their son and I will have some peaceful time at my mom's place. When and if time heals both of us, we can be kind, loving and connected together.

I have been undergoing IVFs and have been having miscarriages. Everything together is making me crazy. Now I have a small break in my treatment as I just had another miscarriage and I really want something to address this issue now and find some peace. I at least want to tell them as above so that they know it is active and it needs to be sorted out, though i am 100% sure they dont want to talk about anything.

Please give me suggestions as how I can handle this. This really has been driving me crazy. Sorry for a pretty long post.

Thanks all !

2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

So sorry for you, dear. But why are you saying "there is no one to support you, no one understands you"? Your husband is on your side, isn't he? However ineffective they might have been, he did made some attempts to stand up for you. Strengthen your relationship with your husband. If he is with you, you need no body else. :)

And coming to your MIL, completely ignore her dramas and don't think about her. She is just not important enough to waste your thoughts, your peace and your time on her. You have more important issues at hand than mending relations with this woman who doesn't care for you. Keep focused on your TTC process. No one else is more important than yourself right now, forever.

2 people like this.
  3. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Ignore all the noise and focus on yourself. God will bless you and you will soon conceive. Keep your mind at peace.

1 person likes this.
  4. applevaio

applevaio Silver IL'ite

:(

Try to ignore your hurt and MIL issues. Concentrate on yourself and TTC prcoess. Good thing will happen soon. Take care..

5. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

why do you want to even talk to your MIL or sil...it is so easy for you to just cut the thread off in this case..just dnt care .
    Is ur husband forcing you to sped time with inlaws when you go visit India? if not, then just nt sped time with them...simply refuse and tell him that ur self respect is hurt, or his sake you may spend few days with him at inlaws...

if he orces you to spend time or talk to inlaws , then just explain him why you dnt want to o that and lay firm on ur stand

6. soshana

soshana Senior IL'ite

It must be very hard for you TTC stress and all this unnecessary issues. As already pointed, as long as your husband is on your side, no need for anything else, don't start complaining too much and lose his support. As your H can clearly see what your MIL is doing, I think she is bad to him too, you don't have to again explain your issues.
    So relax, they themselves are not wanting to talk to you, so great. SIL does not call you, great, less headache. Don't worry about your nex trip already and panic. You can handle it at that time. Only god should answer why a lot of people have to live in this constant fear. Try not to do that. Good luck

7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would like to ask you this age old question - When Dogs bark at you on the streets, do you stop by and and feel bad that they are barking at you? NO! why, oh, why - do you care about these "human" dogs. What your inlaws say is correct - Most Inlaws are like your's and nobody can change them. When they themselves are accepting that they are no good, why do you want their love and acceptance? why do you need any one to say "you are good, and that MIL should not say this etc etc" Don't you already know that?

The first problem here is that you seek acceptance from outside. Drop that. First accept yourself and have that self respect. Peace comes from within & not because your SIL says her mother is wrong. Practice detachment. she is nobody to you an dyou don't owe her anything. Be cold - steel cold!

When you stop letting them affect you, you will be happy. Finding happiness and peace is the first step to conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy.

Don't let her words about you never conceiving affect you. She is a human being, Not God. She has NO such powers. Remember God is the Greatest of all. Just have faith on Him.

2 people like this.
  8. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Your inlaws sound like mine. My mil had cursed my unborn child. But all went well. It is very difficult to deal with such people. I know what all I have been through. Start writing a journal. Do what you enjoy. Keep busy and try not to think too much.

9. desikudi2013

desikudi2013 New IL'ite

Mine is also the same story...stayed detached for several years and then I started relationship again, since they being started nice to us. Again after several years same abuse started again,they are again harassing us, demanding money. I feel so hurt and trying to forgive myself for giving them again a chance to ruin our peaceful life.:bonk

10. Sandi001

Sandi001 New IL'ite

Thanks all for your wishes and encouragements.

@Goahead: He does not force me to talk to them. During our last India visit he wanted me to stay in his house for longer but when things went worse he himself asked me to go to my mom's house. And now ATLEAST FOR SHORT TERM he is fine with me not talking to them. He understands that they also dont take the effort to talk to me but they just complain that I dont talk to them.

@soshana: I am fine with them not talking to me. At the same time I dont like that they complain about me not talking to them. But as you all say, I understand that it does not matter whether they complain or crib about me. I want to get to the state of being insensitive to all their complains and at the same time also to their needs and request. But I see that it is a bit difficult to train this stupid mind.

@soulful: You are exactly right, I am needing acceptance from them and now I am trying to have more self appreciation so that I dont need it from them. Its the typical thought that the DIL should get a good name in the husbands family and bla bla. And when my husband is quite comfortable with my family and I am quite happy because of that I am not able to give the same happiness to him. Infact when we got married my dad was soo angry on us (ours is a love marriage), but now things changed ulta and he is treating him as his own son. Yeah, but I need not feel guilty and need to accept the fact that me and my ILs are different.
    Also, they didnt mean that the complaints that they make are wrong, but they feel that it is normal and this kind of differences and problems will be there in all the houses, and it is the DIL who should not take it seriously. But I would say, differences are there and its better to accept it and live, rather than putting the blame on the DIL.