1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Karuppu Balu and Paruppu Thuvaiyal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Apr 4, 2008.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Karuppu Balu and Paruppu Thuvaiyal

I am giving finishing touches to the special lunch that I have prepared for my husband’s longtime friend, Karuppu Balu who is coming home and will be joining us for lunch.As I am grinding the paruppu thuvaiyal in the mixi,Balu’s favourite chutney, I can not but smile and my thoughts go back a good thirty five years.
    At the time of our marriage, my husband introduced his friend karuppu Balu to me as his best friend.He also told me,”Mythili,this fellow has been dodging marriage for quite sometime.His parents have given us the responsibility of fixing his marriage with a good suitable girl.We must do the needful”.’Oh yes”,said I ,with great enthusiasm and both my husband and I immediately contacted our network of friends and relatives to find a suitable girl for Balu.
    Now I must tell you about karuppu Balu.My husband had/has three Balus as friends.The one who works in Dubhai is called Dubai Balu, the one who works for airforce is called airforce Balu and since this Balu is very dark, he is called karuppu Balu by his friends,not that he minds.When he rings us up, he says,’karuppu Balu here”and laughs.
    Karuppu Balu is tall,dark and a handsome man with a boyish smile.He wears white and white ie white pants,white shirts,white shoes and when he smiles his teeth gleam white.He is also a very shy person,he would not even look at a woman and exchange a smile.For this reason alone his marriage was getting delayed since he fought shy of looking at the girl when he went to see a girl.
    Any way,after much networking, we found a suitable girl for Balu.The girl was from a good family,very charming and my husband and I felt that she would be the ideal choice for Balu.One fine evening, we went to see the girl.Balu’s parents also accompanied us.After the initial pleasantries were over, the girl came to the hall accompanied by her sister in law and as per our custom did ‘namaskarams’ to us. While doing namaskarams to us the girl,her name is Saroja, looked at Balu.My woman’s instinct told me that Saroja liked Balu.I looked at Balu’s parents’ faces.Again my woman’s instinct told me that they were quite happy with Saroja.I looked at Balu’s face and his face was impassive,I could not make out anything.I nudged my husband, “Ask him whether he likes the girl”.My husband nudged Balu,”Look at the girl Balu,do you like her,she seems to be the right match for you”he whispered.What Balu said in reply almost shocked us.He said loudly and clearly,”I want to talk to the girl alone’.Balu’s parents gaped,My husband was stunned,I could not believe that this young man who would not even look at a girl, wanted to talk to a girl, that too alone?
    Saroja’s parents took it in the right spirit.Her father said,’Yes,ofcourse.If the boy wants to ask her something, he can do so.My daughter may also clear any doubt she that has,there is absolutely no problem about that”,said he and showed a room, right opposite to where we were sitting,where they could sit and talk.The room’s doors were partially closed to give them some privacy.Saroja’s nephews who were eight and ten years old were asked to go and play carrom in that room, by way of chaperoning,ofcourse.
    After just two minutes, Balu and Saroja came out of the room.Balu was sweating and his white shirt was wet with his sweat.Saroja’s face was crimson red.Suddenly my husband and I were very apprehensive,will this alliance go through?We need not have worried.The boy said,’Yes”,The girl said,”Yes”and we were thrilled.I could not control my curiosity.What did Balu and Saoja talk in five minutes that brought out the ‘Yes’ in them?
    When we were taking leave from their house,I went to Saroja and asked her playfully,”Saroja,what did Balu ask you,did he ask you to come with him for a film?”
    “No manni,’said the sweet girl.”He asked me “ Do you know how to make paruppu thuvaiyal?”
    Now it was my turn to gape.
    Balu and Saroja are a wonderful couple who have good children and laddu like grandchildren.Even now, we tease them.My husband tells Balu,’Thank God your wife said she knew how to make paruppu thuvaiyal.Otherwise you would have missed out on a wonderful life companion.”
    I tease Saoja,”Saro,it was a good thing that you knew how to make paruppu thuvaiyal.Otherwise you would have missed out on my brother in law, who is a wonderful chap”.They both smile, sheepishly,ofcourse!
    Now that I have told you about karuppu Balu with his penchant for paruppu thuvaiyal,I want to tell you about another friend of ours, who refused to marry the beautiful girl whom he liked very much,because he did not like the girl’s father’s name.AHarharren’t you surprised?
    Now I have to go and receive Balu, who has arrived.I will meet you soon,my friends.
    Bye,till then.

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Mithila,
    Your title dragged me into this thread...and i was smiling all thru reading this post.Very enjoyable one...

Do post abt ur hubby's another friend here..can we expect something like Gundu raja and poondu rasam? hee heeeBig LaughBig Laugh

P.S: No offence meant, just kidding....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Wow, Big LaughBig LaughBig Laugh
    I second aishu's... I was pulled into this thread by your catchy title. Eagerly wating for the next friend's story , (offocurse the title too...)Harhar

4. shobabu

shobabu New IL'ite

hI Mithila,

Enjoyed your narration and had a good laugh....very nicely written and yes the title is sure to get u many views and fbs.
    keep writing
    shobha

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Hello Mithila!

This is my first interaction with the IL members in a long long time. I was staying away due to tight schedules on the personal front. Now when i opened the site, yours was the first article to have caught my attention! I cannot stop controlling my laughter. The best thing I love about this article is the humour package and your fabulous title! It reminds me of something my mom says. She has a cousin whom she fondly calls Gopi.When he was a lil kid(3 years) he used to take a BiG glass and go and tell his mom "Gopi Kuppi Kaapi", meaning he wants coffee!
    Kuppi(malayalam) - glass
    Kaapi- coffee
    Even now when we see him , we tease him "Gopi Kuppi Kaapi" . Somehow your article reminded me of that and I am full of smiles now. A great article! Thanks for posting it.

Purnima

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

vow mythili,
    for a minute i thought this is one of your food blog and my i must hand it to you, humour all the way, pavam, karuppu balu.
    my god, may god bless them and u too for bringing out such wonderful stuff here..sunkan

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi mithila,
    Just opened IL and your article caught my fancy... I was chuckling throughout... ! Like the others...am waiting to see the next one... Great read. Loved it!

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mithila,

A very humourous title. I just got into it because of the title.

You have really written very well. I was reallyBig Laugh.

It was ver funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

9. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Enjoyable one...............title is good one

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Jus the title!!

Lovely post. I am also a big fan of Paruppu Thovaiyal. wow!!