1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Vegetables like peas etc.

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by rkgurbani, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Green peas is still in season but as summer approaches this healthy vegetable will get costly and will slowly vanish from the market.

I usually wash the peas and parboil them for two-three minutes. Then I cool them, dry them completely and freeze them. Is this ok? So far they have lasted for about a year or more.

Just some time back, one of my relatives argued that there was no need to parboil any vegetable and that it can be frozen straight away. However, from health and nutritious point of view, I disagreed with her and I am sure she will never forgive me for not agreeing with her.:rant

Please share your views on this.

2. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rkgurbani, when I was in Chennai, MIL used to buy lots of peas in the season too, she used to just store them in the fridge as is. I like the idea of boiling, will try it. :)

3. prasar

prasar New IL'ite

hi rkgurbani,i too store peas in season .i just wash them and directly put them in freezer in small containers .have never tried parboiling .will try

4. anjalishelke

anjalishelke Silver IL'ite

I'm using the same procedure to store green peas. first i'll boil them 3-4 minutes then transfer them to ice cold water for 3-4 minutes this will stop the germination process.