How are you teaching your kids to save Mother Nature?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aruna972, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

The only thing that you can pass on to your kids is what Mother Earth holds in her lap, right? They are never too young to do their part in taking care of the environment. So, how can you help your little one go ‘green’? Here’s how: Going Green With Your Kids | Humpty Bumpty Kids

2. brb_va

brb_va Gold IL'ite

Hi,

These are the ones that i follow:

I and my kid take a common means of transport, may be a train for travelling to classes, instead of depending on car or bike. On the way, i get her to read lot of books which are available on the station book shops. I ensure that she does not throw wrappers of the eateries she gets to eat on the train. I have asked her to put it back in her bag and discard it when she comes home.

I have stopped maximum usage of laptops, video games & tv, by just putting her to classes or entertaining her to read more books instead of tv. She is allowed to choose an hour of tv watching everyday. She is trained to automatically switch off unused electricity consumption, manage water usage. I have taught her to use water drained from washing vegetables, to be used for the mini garden that we have. IL has inspired us with lot of project managing activities with all junks. She is yet to learn to donate things that she no more uses. This is one thing i find difficult to train her on. I presume she would learn as she grows bigger.

We had a small gathering with all her friends in the colony, to do a small scale activity on sapling planting.. We had caps made for children and got small toys which are eco friendly, for the promotional part of the activity. Lots of children had gathered around, and each of them explained protecting mother earth in different ways. It was fun, and may be would post the snaps sometime.

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

develop the 'nature loving' interest in them

Take them to the villages / forests / hill stations / river bank camping sites for holidays

Cultivate the interest and make them spend more time playing in a garden / beach etc than buying a gadget to play
    video games

Let them enjoy a cup of coffee / tea in the morning standing by the window and watching the birds, plants, trees etc

Plant a tree for special occassions as a memory .... develop this attitude in your child too and let them take care of those plants and watch their memories also grow with them

Teach them the value of this planets and its resources, the importance of our fellow beings (this should first start at home, then only they will understand its seriousness when they study the same in the book)

Let us be a role model for our kids to folllow. They learn it quickly if they see their elder practice it in their life....

4. leena999

leena999 Silver IL'ite

i am very conscious of the damage we humans are doing to mother earth and i also do my bit for the environment...i try and recycle everything in my house(sometimes at the cost of other family members getting irritated with me)...nevertheless i teach my son to save water, switchoff all unnecessary lights in the house,switch off ipad,laptop,tv when not using,donate old clothes/toys to orphans ,celebrate earth hour and whatever else can be done.

1 person likes this.
  5. RuchitaParat

RuchitaParat Senior IL'ite

I am very cautious about this matter and used to tell my everyone for conservation of mother earth. The most helpful thing is to plant as many trees as you can to keep environment pollution free and healthy, if environment will be pollution free, then automatically everything will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. RuchitaParat

RuchitaParat Senior IL'ite

It starts with the basic stuff like not wasting water, Switching off the lights when leaving the room, love for plants and such. If this generation grows up doing their bit, it can do wonders.

1 person likes this.
  7. ValerieCasady

ValerieCasady New IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Hey there everyone! [/FONT]:)

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anyway, I agree with you. It’s the small things that are usually neglected but they actually matter the most. As such, reminding your kids to conserve water by turning off the faucet whenever they’re not using it as possible. Get rid of plastic and never burn them. Switch off the light if not used, and many to mention. :) [/FONT]

1 person likes this.