What to eat and what not to eat in first trimester?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by raisin, Mar 13, 2013.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

I have developed nausea and morning sickness which is not a big deal to my doc. Given me doxinate tabs if I vomit. But, I am trying to keep away from unnecessary pills. I feel nauseated and gassy always when my head is up from the bed. Can I bite a clove, or have polo? Is it safe to have 3-4 of them in a day?

What are the foods that you should not eat as per our Indian diet culture? Most of the info on the net talk for a western culture. Please let me know.

2. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

Hi dear..congratulations on your pregnancy.. Which week are you in now?

Anyway am also very new to this (as this is my first preg). But i was gathering information on these things.

Its better not to eat heat inducing things eg:papaya, pineapple,spicy food. Apart from that you can have anything else i think. Drink milk twice a day.

That is all i can advice you from the little knowledge i have. Take care and enjoy your preg!

3. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

I am going to be 7 weeks. Thank you :) Congos to you tooo. I drink milk, have boiled bananas, dates (3) and apples. I have bloating and low appetite. So, a bit of spiciness makes me eat well. I love sea food. Since we don't cook non vegetarian at home I get some portion from cousin when she makes. So I was wondering if it is ok to have prawns and fish occasionally. :hide:

1 person likes this.
  4. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

I came to know that sea fish contains lot of mercury and it is not good for preg woman. I dont eat sea food so i didnt pursue the matter much. But do check once before you eat. I have read that sea food is not advisable. But Sardines are very beneficial. If you can get them, eat them.

5. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

No doubt u can take fish regularly.. Especially Salmon fish is meant to boost ur child's intelligence.. So try to intake Salmon fish wen possible..

6. purpledreams

purpledreams Silver IL'ite

Yep.. As swathi mentioned avoid prawns and big fishes..it contains mercury, not good for carrying woman n baby too. I m also avoiding such fishes,but salmon is an exception. Apart from it sardines are good. Do avoid sesame seeds also( its' varieties including sesame oil, tahini, hummus ) also some friends suggested to avoid dates too coz of its heat. Use garlic in moderation. Others also pls let us know. I am 6 weeks

7. purpledreams

purpledreams Silver IL'ite

Forgot to mention. Big congrats to both of you swathi n raisin :)

8. swathik22

swathik22 Junior IL'ite

Congrats to u too purple dreams!! .. All three of us are in the same boat now. Its great to have some one to discuss all the silliest of doubts am getting :)

9. gyaandxb

gyaandxb Silver IL'ite

Many Congratulations to all the three of you... :)

I hope this link is helpful to you ladies.. Food and drink safety - BabyCenter

I had terrible morning sickness and couldn't eat much in the first trimester. My diet consisted of 2 bread slices, a couple of sliced carrots and cucumber. And a small glass of milk (which i used to consume, only to help me throw up, so I could keep the bread safe in my tummy) :D

I could never eat anything else, no matter how much I tried, until the end of the first trimester. But its safe to avoid food that causes heat like papaya and pineapple, sesame seeds.

I found this link: Indian Foods To Avoid During Pregnancy | LIVESTRONG.COM

But its always better to check with your doctors, just to be doubly sure.

Wishing you all a happy and safe pregnancy. :) Stay happy and peaceful and pass on the vibes to the baby as well.. :)

Hugs and take care,

GD

1 person likes this.
  10. poornimasiva

poornimasiva Senior IL'ite

Hi Gals,

Congrats on your pregnancy. Im also in my 7th week. I dont have any morning sickness or vomitting. So except for certain thinks like dates, chicken, brinjal, papaya, pineapple, and grapes. Im taking everything. I always have this confusion on what to eat or what not to . My MIL says we can eat anything and mom says avoid non veg im so confused now:hide: