1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Going to a Male Gynac - AWKWARD!!

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by soulful, Mar 9, 2013.

1. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

In my experience, male doctors have been far better than female doctors..They have been more compassionate and understanding to my issues than a female doc..That being said every doc is different..Read the reviews and go with the best one..Think that a male doc is just a doc not an "Outsider" male.

Good Luck

2 people like this.
  2. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

The above feeling , when I hear here, from more than one member really surprises me........and makes me feel good:) to know that men are gentler lot when it comes to dealing this stuff.

Coming to the point, one very important point is...............the male Gynecologist, while examining your private parts, will CERTAINLY HAVE THE PHYSICAL PRESENSCE OF ANOTHER WOMAN with him, to make you feel comfortable.

If any male Gynecologist examines a lady patient, WITHOUT ANOTHER WOMAN'S PRESENCE, then, even the normal and geuine process of gynecological examination itself tanamounts to SEXUAL HARRASSMENT according to Law as well as Medical Ethics.

The presence of another female there is to make you feel comfortable.........and you WILL FEEL COMFORTABLE due to this.

3 people like this.
  3. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

I agree with other posters. I have heard and seen that Male doctors are better (more understanding, gentler) in ob/gyn issues.
    And IG is correct. Either the male dr will ask you to bring your husband along or he will have another female nurse or dr in the room.

2 people like this.
  4. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

I have been seen by both male and female gynacs. I have no preference, as doctors of both genders have been good and bad. I have had good female Ob/Gyns and bad, good male Ob/Gyn and bad. The most important is that YOU are comfortable with whomever you chose.

When I was young, I preferred female doctor only-but then I joined the military (and later married a military man) so the choice was no longer mine, you see whomever you are assigned to see. After two children, one miscarriage, and several gynac surgeries I can be comfortable with a cast of thousands in the exam room on a teaching round. But that's just me.

See if you can schedule a visit with the doctor before you have to go for an exam, if insurance plan allows. If you are not comfortable when speaking with the doc, see if you can see another doctor in the practice. Because if you are embarrassed/uncomfortable talking about things in office, you may not want to discuss problems you are having of a female nature. But, if the male doctors are well liked by current patients, that is generally a reliable indicator of how they are viewed by their patients.

1 person likes this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

"If any male Gynecologist examines a lady patient, WITHOUT ANOTHER WOMAN'S PRESENCE, then, even the normal and geuine process of gynecological examination itself tanamounts to SEXUAL HARRASSMENT according to Law as well as Medical Ethics.

The presence of another female there is to make you feel comfortable.........and you WILL FEEL COMFORTABLE due to this. "

ooh! I didn't know this. Thanks IG

Thank you All of you!! Looks like everyone agrees on the male-doc :) I will take the appointment on Monday..Thanks guys, I should have asked you all earlier.

1 person likes this.
  6. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

I used to feel the same and every time I went to my gynec, I wasnt comfortable. The reason I went to my chosen gynec- he was the best in town, very approachable and had great reviews.

Trust me post delivery- more than feeling eww, I felt pity for tat man or for that reason any gynec- male or female. See the reason they are examining u is a reason- and they need to know that and are answerable to u. All those body fluids, blood and stuff that they have to go through examing us is actually yuck for them I feel

A doc is a doc- no matter male or female

7. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Media has reported many male doctors have landed up in arrests, in India, for NOT having a female attendant, while doing the examination of a female patient's private parts. Indian Penal Code recognises this as an offense.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ishika84

Ishika84 Silver IL'ite

M totally agreed...
    Male Gyno treat you as patient so don't worry and don't feel shy....I m gone with same phase but DH support me a lot because we want best doctor....and this is true male Gyno are very understanding and simple...

9. soumya1992

soumya1992 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Have my first gynaec appointment with a male doctor tomorrow. am really nervous. I assume he will do the full checkup. I have some issues with motion pain too. so i assume he will be checking everything. any tips ladies to make it easier for me

10. suman00850

suman00850 New IL'ite

Hi Soumya - Just relax. Guess you are in Muscat. I live in Dubai and have a male doctor. They will give you a gown to wear - of course nothing inside and the doctor will only expose the parts needed while checking. He will have a nurse in the room. Unfortunately they don't allow husbands/family members here in the room in the middle east. I have never felt uncomfortable with the breast and vaginal exams and have had anal exams too. Just relax. you will be fine. The anal exam will hurt a bit as the doctor will insert a finger there, but nothing not bearable.