Buying gold in Dubai airport

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by lovely_ambika, Nov 11, 2009.

1. lovely_ambika

lovely_ambika Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I am travelling back to India on 20th, i have to take the connecting flight in dubai on 21st of this month . I am planning to buy gold in dubai airport , cant go out of the airport as i have only 2hrs stopover. please suggest me as how dubai gold is good- like price or purity.
    IS it good if we buy 24 carat gold coin or bar or good to buy readymade jewellery in 21/22 karat.
    please give me suggestions.

thanks,
    Ambika

2. crossiants

crossiants Senior IL'ite

gold is very pure everywhere in dubai,in shops or airport.u will definately not need to doubt their purity.secondly the price for the gold is same every where in dubai only thing that may differ will be making charges.at the airport shops everything thing is available say from bara to 18/22 and 24 karat gold.i hope i have helped u with your concern still wait for some other responses,have a nice and safe journey.all the best.

3. prettyguns

prettyguns Silver IL'ite

Hi Ambika
    Like Crossiants said, gold in Dubai is one of the purest and best value, so you need not have second thoughts in buying them. And at the duty free, you can be sure to get good quality gold. For the choice between bars and ornaments, I would suggest go by your taste and instinct. At Duty Free, they do not stock many India Style Ornaments, so you might find it difficult to get ornaments to your taste. In that case, best would be to buy gold coins or bars. The best bars are 24K ones that are certified by Pamp Suisse or similar agencies. These come in various sizes. The rate charged is that day's gold rate + a certification charge for the swiss certification (for a 10g bar, I paid about 30 Dirhams certification charge).
    These bars are held in high value in India and any shop would be more than happy to exchange it at a good rate for ornaments in India. Shops even give you a slightly higher rate than normal market rate for Dubai Gold hence ensure you bargain with them to get the best deal. I normally use Alukkas in Chennai to exchange bars to ornaments since they have outlets in Dubai and are well aware about dubai gold.
    If you find an ornament to your liking at Duty Free, just go ahead and buy it since it is a better bargain than buying in India. In India, you are charged making charges and wastage charges for any ornament you buy but in Dubai you only pay making charges. That combined with higher gold quality means you get the best deal here.
    Price of gold is the same as anywhere in world and you can pay in US dollars or Dubai Dirhams at the Duty Free shops.
    Gold Bars / Coins come in either 24k or 22k, ornaments come in 18k,20k,21k,22k and 24k. The most popular is 22k for indian style ornaments in Dubai.
    Happy Gold Shopping,
    Regards
    Preethi

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. muscat99

muscat99 New IL'ite

I agree with the previous posts. A few years ago, I bought a bracelet for my mother, and she loves it! Even though the selection is limited in the duty free shop, compared to what is available elsewhere in Dubai, you will find the top quality designs collected together. Imagine that I spent about 2 hours in the gold souq and did not find anything I liked! Just about 3 minutes browsing around the gold counter in the duty free, and I had to make a choice from about 4 or 5 bracelets. You will find very few Indian designs, but you will be pleased overall with the selection at the counter. Good luck!

Saida

5. gulati

gulati New IL'ite

only buy TT bars of 24K purity.
    The rest is just money to the jeweller.
    Only TT can be sold easily. ALWAYS retain the invoice.
    Buy...ooops Bye.

6. akash13

akash13 New IL'ite

Should the gold that you buy in the airport be declared in some sort of form to the customs and pay the duty well ahead or during the baggage check, only if the customs ask we will have to pay the duty?

I am interested in knowing if we take bars.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. archiak05

archiak05 New IL'ite

hey!
    u know what if u buy gold biscuits in dubai while travelling back to India u have to pay tax..better to buy ornaments and wear them when u go rather carrying biscuits..somany of them pay tax..for 50gm i heard one lady paid around 6000rs :(
    if u carry without their knowledge u will escape frm the tax ;)
    regards,
    Akshatha

8. Swetha111

Swetha111 New IL'ite

Can someone please share your experience of buying gold in dubair airport?

1) Is it possible to buy and carry Gold bar to India?
    2) Will I have to pay any thing for customs?
    3) How much gold I can buy from Dubai airport and carry to India?
    4) I have money in GBP, which is the best method of money conversion to buy gold in dubai airport?

I'm travelling shortly to India via Dubai, I have 6 hours of time in Dubai airport. It would be of great help if you can assist me with the above.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Shwetha.

9. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

10. premakr

premakr New IL'ite

hi all,

i m travelling to india this weekend via dubai in emirates.
    i have only 2:30 hrs transit time. arriving in terminal3 & departing from terminal 3.
    i just want to know how much time will take from landing till check-in for my next flight.
    i want to purchase gold & some cosmetics. is that 2:30 hrs will be sufficient?
    i have these shops at terminal 3? do i need to walk for a long time ? when should i get to board into my next flight ? means how much time before i should be at gate?
    pls make me clear on all these..
    thanku