Freaked out,,, how do I overcome this.

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by kritikarao, Mar 7, 2013.

1. kritikarao

kritikarao New IL'ite

Hi all.
    Is there anyone out there who is scared of getting pregnant? If yes, how did u overcome it?

Actually I have always wanted to adopt a child. Even before I met my DH (we dated for 3years and married for almost 3yrs now). Personally it meant a lot to me to adopt a child instead of having my own. I felt it as a way of saying thank you to god for giving me parents. I do not believe in the fact that we can't love an adopted child as much as our own. DH SUPPORTS me. But he is ok with anything. He doesn't seem to feel it as much as I do, which is fine by me.

However the day I got married and saw my in-laws, I understood that they will not accept. Knowing them for 3 yrs now, I know they will definitely not accept us if we do it. It could affect the child. Basically I have resigned to the fact that we have to have our own baby first. My SIL just delivered a baby. And the pressure on me rises.

I am confident about taking care of kids and bringing them up. But the thought of pregnancy and delivery scares the hell out of me. Do many people face such a scare? How can I overcome it? The speech above is to tell that I was not very open minded about getting pregnant. Now that I need to, m scared of it.

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Everyone before getting pregnant faces this scare.But once your become pregnant you will start enjoying each phase of pregnancy and will start to look forward to your delivery day.

3. makechange

makechange Bronze IL'ite

Hi Karthikarao,

Don't freak out thinking about the whole process / experience. Take it one step at a time, Pregnancy is nothing to be scared about, that too in this modern world, its like a cake walk (in most cases).

Nowadays, during labor women take epidural (injection used for numbing the pain). So its not that big of a deal as you imagine.

Pregnancy is a blessing and a divine experience. Its just the fear of unknown, after all that's what make life interesting right???

4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear kritikarao,

i am 26 years old and unmarried.

i have been scared of becoming pregnant and giving birth as along as i can remember.
    i remember as a7 year old kid, if i watched any birth scene in movies i would really get scared and swear never to have kids.

then slowly i started sharing my problems with my friends in school and college.
    and guess what?? they were as scared as i was.

i have done a health science degree, and we used to talk to the medical students about their labour room and delivery experience. and you will be surprised to know that alot of the med girls would faint in their first delivery posting. but slowly they got very used to it, and it was just like any other posting for them.

every girl is scared of gining birth, even the one's who have given birth are scared to some extent of giving birth the second time.

so you see you are not alone or unique. it happens to ALL the girls.

now, let me tell you how i have tried to overcome this to some extent.
    i went to youtube and saw all the possible ones i found there on childbirth and pregnancy.

first you will be scared. but later it will become very normal to you.

it sounds silly, but try watching these videos repetedly for several days, you will eventually just feel like you are just watching some regular stuff like music or movies

this will remove your fears.

give it a try.

adoption is outrageous. your hubby is a darling to support your decision.
    but trust me 10- 15 years down the line you will regret your decision.

don't you want to be a proud mamma, who bore her child in her womb for 9 months and then went through labour to bring him/her into this world.?

don't you want to talk to him/her while in the womb and give the baby good sanskar?
    it is said in hindu scripture that the baby listens while in the womb.

don't you want to be the first one to hold your bundle of joy?

don't you want to feed him your milk and make him/her strong enough to face the world?

don't you want your little one to have your and your hubby's features?

then what is a little pain compared to all this?

go for it girl, you will be proud of yourself!!!!!!

5. saran27

saran27 Senior IL'ite

HI,
    i personally like to encourage adoption but it should be not because of the fear u have in delivering a baby,it should be out of personal interest and one more thing i want to specify here is ,i personally feel there is no joy in the world for a girl other than seeing her own baby the first time,i hope every girl want to be a MOM one day,s ofcourse u can enjoy motherhood with adopted baby too,but again its a matter of ur own personal choices.

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi op
    Valid point, I was a major-panic too, but.....went with the flow. Just think about that particular daypack pregnancy........and not the labour!
    First trimester, I got busy with admiring maternity wear , second trimester went about choosing baby names and the third trimester I was involved with the baby room and stufff....days flew....went through two labours.....nothing filmi about it.........kept my cool....even watched some crap bolly movie between my second labour!
    But when I look at my little princess, who not little anymore.......I again get pangs of how she would deal with cramps....she wails on getting a small bruise and wants the whole family to kiss her bruise!
    Bottom line, do not think just keep progressing as the bump grows.
    Mega