1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'TV' started by sundarusha, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

omg thanks Sundarusha for introducing me to all these new shows. "Call Midwife" looks interesting, I hope it airs in my local PBS, I'll check my local listings.

"As time goes by" is mid 90s series..they have reruns now and timings are not consistent..so you'd be better off catching them on the web.

You'll love Sherlock holmes, its fast paced and Benedict Cumberbatch acting is worth watching.

Most of the pbs shows that I watch are a bit slow paced but I like em..I can wind down and make myself go to sleep. "keeping up appearances" is a good comedy too.

I'm so glad that I found fellow indian who is into these PBS programs. Most of my friends are either into these desi telugu channels or either into these non interesting programs like "American Idol", "Friends" etc. What else do u watch other than PBS?

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Dahlia,

I liked "Jane Eyre" starring Toby Stephens (Maggie Smith's son) who also had a role in Mangal Pandey movie. I watched this on masterpiece theatre a while ago. I will let you know if I remember anymore.
    Somehow, I like watching all these world war era happenings very much.

3. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

I think you get different PBS programming that I do. I guess its different for every city. I couldnt find them in my local listings :(...oh well..I'll watch out for them.

If you like world war era happenings, try 'Foyle's War', its a mystery/detective show. Of course, slow paced but interesting enough.

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

I watched "Jane Eyre" on DVD. I have this list of masterpiece series to watch yet. My neighbor has all this collection, so I am planning to borrow from her.May be you have watched some of them

Lark Rise to Candleford (4 season's)
    North and South Oliver Twist
    Bleak House
    David Copperfield
    Little Dorrit
    Flambards
    Foyle's War
    Miss Marple Mysteries
    Sherlock Holmes (this is the new one set in Modern London)
    Sherlock Holmes (the old one with Jeremy Brett as Holmes)
    Anne of Green Gables
    A town Like Alice
    All Creatures Great and Small
    Horatio Hornblower
    Anything Jane Austen
    Robin Hood 3 seasons

Are you in India and do you get PBS? If so, I want to recommend to my friend.

5. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Update :O'Brien is not going to return to the series 4 of DA.

6. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

I watched quite a few of the series you mentioned but not all. Our PBS doesnt air them :(
    'Inspector Lewis' is a good show too.

Oh my! Other than PBS, I watch so many other shows on different channels. Hmm, I guess I watch lot of TV.
    I'm in US, sorry no idea about Indian programming.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dahlia

I self-limit myself to watching TV only after dinner and sometimes rarely in the daytime. I do watch a few DVD's-- the last one I liked so much was "The white Countess" starring natasha Richardson,

8. dahlia

dahlia Silver IL'ite

Yea I figured. They were hinting in the last episode that she'd be interested in travelling and see new places etc. In the last episode, I expected her to leave or something...Matthew's accident was such a shocker!

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Julian Fellows says that when an actor playing a servant wants out, they simply get another job. But when an actor playing family member want sout ( like lady Sybil and mathew) they have to have some accident to not return. Still it was very tragic for the family. I saw "The Others" starring Nikole Kidman. it was so scary!

10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dahlia

I watched "North and South"--it is awesome! Mr.Bates of DA is in it.