1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you coupon for your groceries?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cool09, Feb 21, 2013.

1. cool09

cool09 Senior IL'ite

I was watching this show in tlc called extreme couponing . It totally surprised me by the way they save ,like they bring down 500 to nearly 0 with coupons. I don't do much of coupons except the in store warehouse coupons I get in my mail . So was curious to know do any of you do couponing for your local groceries?

2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I tried it, it took a lot of time and I didn't save much most of the coupons I get in news papers or in the mail are useless for us since we avoid frozen foods and junk food. Once in a while I find some coupons I can use.

3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

You can see weekly ad posted in each grocery website or if we go to shop you can see the ad paper. Better you can browse online and get an idea, so will know which coupon you can use.

4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I use coupons religiously. You normally don't find coupons for Indian groceries. However, for toiletries and other stuff, you can certainly find coupons online. Lot of my friends (mainly non-indians) use coupons. However, I've never seen anyone saved like they show in TLC.

5. cool09

cool09 Senior IL'ite

Yeah I guess it does require quite a lot of patience and effort. May be buying items only when they r on sale and stocking up would save quite a bit. But who can pile up so much?

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

It also requires on stocking up. for example buying paper towels like in dozens.. thats how they show in the extreme coupons show. Cans they buy in dozens. so in each they get to save 2/3rds maybe.
    So its a combination of coupons, store coupon discount and volume too.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If we have to do extreme couponing then it is not about buying items on sale. It is about buying and stocking items that are only on sale i.e you should not be worried about brands, size and other specifications. You just keep stocking.

I save the coupons but forget to take them!

For toiletries/health personal care I have now shifted to Amazon. At times these come in cheap. For eg: I got 3 Lysol toilet bowl cleaners for $5. They lasted for 4-5 months with weekly twice usage. Similarly for trash bags. Amazon has good price ones. At times it seriously irritates me when I think how much we spend on trash!

8. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

Hello gals

I am new to US. Please tell me which sites or other resources should I look for good deals in grocery/household items/kitchenware - bakeware?

I know about Costco, Walmart etc. where else should I look?
    Also where should I look for good travel deals??

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I used to coupon when I lived out west. At that time the stores would do 10 times the coupon value up to $1 so if you had a ten cent coupon for an 89 cent product you got it free. If you had a cashier who didn't know what they were doing you sometimes could make 11 cents. I think you absolutely need to have multiple value of the coupon to really save. Lot of memory work on what store carries what, prices, coupon multiples, etc. Out of curiosity I kept track of the savings for a year.....it averaged out to 40% savings which I think is achievable for anyone. If you are on a tight budget it really helps out in the long run. Caveat: don't get lured into buying stuff you wouldn't normally use unless you just want to try it.

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ramya, it's so true and funny :rotfl:rotfl.

If you invest some time to learn couponing and understand the store policies, you'll save some good money.

I used to clip Sunday paper coupons and print online coupons every week. It took me lot of time which I didn't have. Now I don't buy Sunday papers for coupons anymore. Instead, I clip coupons online and search coupons online before heading for grocery shopping.

With little planning, it's possible to save some money. :thumbsup