1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Any good nursery in and around Bangalore (South if possible))

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by msm, Nov 27, 2009.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Any one knows a good nursery/place where we get good plants, seeds, and garden equipments in Bangalore - preferably South, even if you know in other parts of Bangalore, pls tell me. I've seen so much of nurseries come to the Lal bagh during Independence and Rebublic day, but not sure how authentic they are and help I'll get from them. If you can provide any additional details/pointers, I'll be very much thankful to you.

2. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Hello MSM,
    You can definitely try out in Lal bagh. Those people are helpful and friendly too. They explains about the plants also.
    Meenakshi

3. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks Meenakshi, I'll try in Lalbagh, do they have gardening equipments also? Should I contact a specific department, or which gate should I go to?

Also I've few questions as below

In our garden space, we try to grow various plants like Curry Leaves, Tulasi, Jasmine, Hibiscus Henna and some more flower plants.

Except for roses and Plantain ( Vaazhai) none of the other plants are growing/flowering.

Can you suggest what all herbs/vegetables suitable to Bangalore's climate that I can try?

I tried a lot for curry leaves and Tulasi, but after few months it fades away, any advice/suggestions will be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance
    MSM

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi MSM:

Lalbagh is a good place for your gardening needs. Also, there is Indo-American Hybrid nursery in Banashankari (very close to Namma MTR). It is a lovely nursery. Both these places have gardening equipments as well. Also, there are many nurseries around Lalbagh (popularly known as Siddapura area) where you could pick and choose your plants.

The nursery in Lalbagh is close to the Double road entrance.

Let me take the liberty answering your queries to Meenakshi.

All the plants you have mentioned should do well in Bangalore. Since you have mentioned Tulasi and curry leaves separately, they both need good direct sunlight, I'm thinking that might be the problem. Infact all flowering plants (hibiscus, jasmine, etc.) need good amount of sunlight. So check that out. What about fertilizer? Do your plants have regular fertilizer feed?

Are these plants in pots? You might want to look at the drainage then. If you see roots coming through the holes - it is a sign of the plant needing a bigger pot.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  5. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

:thankyou2:very much Sindhu for your answers. without seeing your reply, just like that I went to Lalbagh last week , took Henna, Aloevera and few herb plants and went to K.R Market with great difficulty to get the gardening equipments, had I seen your reply earlier would have gone to Banasankari instead of K.R Market.

Also here in Bangalore I didnt get the normal hibiscus even in the lalbagh(not the hybrid one).
    you have any idea - some nursery where they have this normal hibiscus variety. I read in some books the normal hibiscus flower/leafs are very good in medicinal values and not sure of the same for the hybrid variety.

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi msm:

While I can't think of a nursery in south Bangalore where you might get regular hibiscus, I'm sure you could get in a nursery called FRLHT in Yelahanka which particularly sells medicinal plants. You might also get it in GKVK campus nursery but these would probably be very far (I'm assuming you live in south Bangalore).

My suggestion is that you get a cutting from a friend / neighbour:) unless you don't mind travelling the distance.

Sindhu

7. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu for your reply - I did get a normal hibiscus from a nursery in J.P Nagar area, but am not sure whether its really true as I've not seen the flower in that sapling. Just hoping that it would be the right normal one...

8. skumars

skumars New IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu,

you have shared a lot of good information. I want to buy below plants in Vijaynagar, do you know any near by nursery's ?
    Scented Geraniums
    Lavender plant
    BASIL
    ROSEMARY
    Catmint
    CITRONELLA GRASS

Regards,

9. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI skumars:

While I don't remember any nursery in Vijayanagar, I remember having seen one on Chord road beyond Vijayanagar towards Shivanahalli close to a roadside temple. However, i doubt if you could get any of the plants you have mentioned above.

Basil saplings are available in some Namdhari outlets. Some of the plants may be available in the nurseries of East bangalore as also Indo-American hybrid nursery in Banashankari.

Actually, looking at the herbs you have mentioned, I get the feeling they probably be available more easily in Ooty (climatic conditions there would suit the herbs.)

Sindhu

1 person likes this.
  10. skumars

skumars New IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu,

They are all mosquito repellent plants.

Regards,
    Skumar's