1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 2 yr old daughter's first trip to India...very scared...any suggestions

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Gc3682, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Gc3682

Gc3682 New IL'ite

So alittle insight about my daughter...she has a PDA in her heart (she went through a heart procedure at the age of 9 months but she is very healthy now).... she is tall but slim for her age. She gets sick very easily....

So we are going to India for the first time with our 2 yr old for a marriage. I am very worried about my daughter getting sick for many reasons...one of them being the last time i went to India with my husband i fell VERY sick.... and I dont want my daughter to get sick.

Anytime we have gone in the past meaning when I have gone with my own family we always tend to take WATER bottles, Gatorade and Cold Drinks with us....with my daughter I am thinking of all the essentials...all her medications, vitamin D, diaper rash cream, pull ups (yes she is still in training lol), water bottles, juice boxes, gatorade/pedialyte, small cereal boxes we buy at BJs, Chips....is there anything else i need to know?

We are going to be there end of April/beginning May for only 2 weeks....I dont know how the weather is during that time.

Any help will greatly be appreciated thanks again!

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I was talking to a friend who went to india when her 15 months old recently. She said you'll get everything in india. Even the baby cereals and baby foods are available (same brand that are available here).

I don't think you need to carry water. Instead, buy bottled water in India itself and double boil it before using.

Since you're going in april, there won't be any mosquito problem. But beware of hot weather.

1 person likes this.
  3. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Since you are visiting for only couple of weeks, I recommend you packing everything you need.Your list is pretty comprehensive...I would add these further to it-

1. Kids sunscreen lotion
    2. Kids mosquito repellent spray
    3. If you use corn starch baby powder for your daughter, pack it from US. I had a hard time finding it in my place in TN.
    4. Stay on top of her vaccinations and ask your pediatrician if he recommends malaria meds.

Be very cautious of what she eats..diarrhea is something which scares hell out of me. What options are you planning for milk? I took pediasure from US and bought Nestle NanPro stage 3/4 milk powder in India. when I visited my native village, my mom double boiled the cows milk(grandfather owns cows) and gave it to my daughter, she liked it. But I never trusted packaged milk or milk from untrusted milkman.

1 person likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Take some of her favorite meal-packs and snack packs for the times she is fussy or you're travelling or when you cant get home cooked food, especially during the wedding, all the food will be too rich for her!

Any healthy readymade stuff that you can just mix clean water or milk and give to her and she wont be cranky for at least 2 hours, you should take loads of packets...

And mosquito repellent and cotton clothes, try to avoid synthetic or heavy clothes!!

1 person likes this.
  5. sarada30

sarada30 Platinum IL'ite

i think you need to carry light weight frocks or dress instead of heavy dress it is best to get her cotton dress as it is mid of summer

After reaching India stick to one place only avoid traveling to meet all the relatives in the short time let her feel comfortable at one place.

1 person likes this.
  6. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    We are just back from our India trip one month ago. You are just going for 2 weeks which will pass by just in a blink. Don't worry much. Ours as 3 months trip. We used bottled water. And pediasure powder to add in milk. That's because he doesn't like plain milk. And milk you can give tetra pack one...but boil it properly....yeah our ped gave malaria medicine... You said you are going for marriage so make sure what she eats and all. Don't forget sanitizer.. And take all the things from here coz in 2 weeks and marriage you might not find time to go and buy things....and mosquito repellent spray.....don't worry much. Enjoy your trip and let her enjoy too :).

1 person likes this.
  7. DiViV

DiViV New IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Please be careful with the milk which you will feed her. My DS had severe diarrhea when we went to India.he was ten month old then. The pedi there told us that babies born abroad don't have the resistance as those born in India. FYI I gave him Aavin milk. I dint even ghive him any yogurt made there. I had taken gerber yogurt from here. The doc suggested to give only Nestle milk and nothing else. If you are doubtful you can carry pediasure from here.
    And dress her in light cotton clothes..they tend to get heat rash as well as diaper rash. Apart from that you can take packed food from here. We do get those there. But certain things like yogurt weren't available. Since you are going for only two weeks, I guess you can pack all the essential things for your kiddo.
    Happy journey:)

1 person likes this.
  8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have purchased excellent curd in Delhi in plastic cups just like USA (although it was plain). I think it was Amul.

You can purchase an automatic water kettle (electric) and gift it when you leave. Handy.

The kids stuff in India is good, don't haul all that stuff and frankly the baggage cost is going to kill you. I would take a good net though....check out the Long Road ones...you can get some that are coverage everydirection that fit over the bed and don't need to be hung from the ceiling.