Any working mom in USA with kids ?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by AnithaPartha, Feb 8, 2013.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Pls give some tips how you're managing as a working mom working in an IT industry ?

How are you managing kids, cooking other household s?
    How are you managing 8-9hrs at work? (Some company asking to start day at 8.30am).. But our kids wake up only at 7..
    How are you managing commute?

Mainly ladies working in east coast area in USA, pls post your views...
    Nj/Ny commute is as bad as it is & coming to office by 8 am is possible ?

2. Titanium001

Titanium001 Silver IL'ite

Yes, I am also interested in hearing from working moms with school going kids in the US. How do you all manage, especially when we dont have family near us.

I am interested in working but I find it extremely difficult to manage kids and work. For me day care is not an option as I have a kid in high school and another one in elementary school. School timings are completely different. Elder one is quite independent but I am reluctant to leave her on her own especially now that she is a teenager. And moreover she dislikes riding the school bus and she is too young to get her drivers licence, so I have to pick her up from school in the middle of the day. Would love to hear from working moms with school going kids.

3. AnithaPartha

Very true. I have only one boy & he is 3yr old & we hubby & wife are working in IT. If parents/in laws are not there to help us it's gets very difficult. Right now my hubby & son both are sick & strictly no wfh for me. I need to manage work + family.. Sometimes, I even felt like resigning my job..

4. AnithaPartha

Waiting for more responses !!!

5. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Indeed, i find the same issue, having to manage home and work. I have a 4 old girl and find it very tough and at times feel like quitting my job. There are many good threads here in IL like time mangament, work, exercise, home etc. There are very nice ideas in that thread as to how many of the working moms manage things at home and work. Sometimes things work out pretty well, on somedays they go haywire. I am also looking for more ideas and would like to see responses to this thread. I will give how my day goes typically later.

6. AnithaPartha

Vidu,
    When someone in the family gets sick then that's where we tend to lose control... Company which doesn't pay much attention to your personal reasons & strictly no wfh options that's where we don't know what to do! Only option taking off from work .. If we're FT at least we still get pay but if you're contracting then that option is also gone .. Payless..

7. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

I also have been there before. thought of resigning my job many times. in fact i resigned once after having my second son as i found it very difficult to manage. i took a break for two years and got back to work. I work full time now and also have two kids. its not easy, but we manage some how. husband helps in laundry, cleaning kitchen etc. most of the week days i make some thing which is easy to make - mostly idli, dosa or appam. sunday's i do some prep work for next week. also cook dal or channa and keep it in the fridge and use it in the weekday. i dont keep food in the fridge for more than 2 days. i also keep some frozen veggies in the fridge, so i can make a quick portal/stirfry in the evening. I also try to do my grocery on fridays so weekend we get some time to relax. I know lot of my colleagues/friends who do a better job than me :)

8. dakshayaeni

dakshayaeni Silver IL'ite

You know what life is not very different in India either, well at least for some of us. I myself am working in an IT company, have my own venture managing weavers and creating job opportunities for them, with a daughter whose aanual exam is going on, with a moody hubby, maid often absent...somedays I come to office only having tea...I am tired actually...

'du belar dal bhate phuriye gechi'..its a Bengali line..meaning I am losing myself in trivial chores of life...uuuffff..still smile ladies. And above all I still have my mother to run my house, at least she reminds me to get dal, chawal, bread, banana..:)

3 people like this.
  9. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

Sorry for a long post-

I am an working mom with 2 very young kids( a toddler and 6 mons baby). there are days where I am in blue mood. I have no parents/relative help. husband travels and is in home only during weekends. I am pretty much on my own.
    It is lot cheaper for me to stay home and take care of kids (saving all the daycare expenses). But I like to get out of home, it helps to keep my sanity :)

Let me share what is working for me-
    I WFH on Wednesdays, I hired a desi helper who comes home on every Wednesdays to do following-
    1. Cut/shred all the veggies needed for next week.(and kitchen clean up).Makes a batch of ginger garlic paste.
    2. Make a gravy and 15 chapathis which last 2 days.
    3. Laundry for entire family.
    4. Grind idli/dosa batter.

Weekday morning schedule-
    1. Keep everything ready to go on previous night itself.
    2.Waking up earlier than kids and pump my milk.
    3. quick shower followed by waking my both kids up. Usually baby is awake by bathroom exhaust noise. He will be playing in his crib or babbling.
    4. Brush/potty for toddler and feed breakfast. In the meantime I feed baby and get his diaper change etc.
    5. Getting both kids ready and out to car for daycare.

Evening-
    I leave office by 4:15pm and get to pick up the kids by 5:15ish. I have instructed my baby's caregiver to give him milk/diaper change around my pick up time so that he doesn't need my immediate attention as soon as I get home. It is my toddler who needs me more. Play/read/dance and cooking all the same time. Good that my kids don't have any homework, whew!!
    One more pumping session while watching kids. This is the most challenging time for me...I feel helpless when I am hooked to pump and screaming toddler and a baby. My toddler knows that she can get away during this time as mommy cannot move.

Dinner time followed by bath time/brushing for both kids.. We all go together to on our big bed and read a book. when done I put them in respective cribs and turn on the 'thalattu CD' (lullaby). they will be still awake but eventually go to sleep most of the time. There is ofcourse 'mommy I want this or that..' screaming toddler.

Me cleaning up kitchen/house (read spot cleaning..). If needed I turn on iRobot (this is my best buddy).
    I call my hubby and after talking to him and if kids are asleep I turn on my work laptop and catch up with any leftover work. I pump my last session around 11 pm and feed baby his night milk and dooze off. I am drained by this time.

There are days when baby is in no mood to sleep, then I shift him in living room and lay down next to him. Otherwise he will wake up my angel girl.

I dont have any weekend schedule. husband is home and we go with flow....I will be the last one to wake up.

Before hiring this lady, I was doing everything. I am more relaxed now and focusing on my family and career.
    there are days when either one of them is sick or both or still worse when all of us were sick. fortunately I can WFH as needed and leave early if needed. My boss and management do understand that family is more important. they don't care as long as work gets done with quality. I am planning to stick to this company as long as I have the same boss and senior management.

It is tough in US, its painful....but doable.

20 people like this.
  10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Kavitha, that is awesome! I am so impressed with your organizational skills, work ethic (at home and at work), dedication to your kids, and ability to keep going even in the absence of your husband. You are a great example of a truly modern woman, who has to do it all. Thank you for sharing.

1 person likes this.