Can I appear for CAT 2009 Exam for admission to MBA course? Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, Mar 29, 2008.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Hello friends, I want to start preparing for CAT 2009 exam. But I have no clue about it. I am in US right now but since my husband plans to go back within 3 years I want to make sure that I have a career and a job because my in-laws are making my life difficult and husband too is not very cooperative.
    I am not even sure whether my marriage would work out given the recent turn of depressing events in our married life.I am a humanities graduate and its been 3 years since I did my graduation. I want to know what is the eligibility for appearing in CAT, is there an age limit?
    Please help me how can I prepare for the exam sitting here in US, any online resources?
    I am weak in Quants being from humanities background but almost good in verbal. I need help to improve my maths and reasoning ability power. I cannot get material from India because my in-laws will make it a big issue if they find out that I'm trying to improve my prospects. Also my husband not very encouraging. Please guide me how can i prepare for the exam? And is it possible to get into an MBA institute after 3-4 years of break from studies?
    Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Dear Deepshikha,

Sorry to hear about what you're having to go through, however, I respect your decision to stand up and be proactive about handling it.

While I think it's a great idea to start preparing for CAT- based on your questions- I do get a feeling that you are not sure about pursuing MBA only at IIM or other top institutions. If you really want to appear for CAT, you should first spend time researching about it.

Start with just simple internet searches, reach out to members of IIM/other institution communities on social networking sites such as Facebook, Orkut, Yahoo Groups etc. Prep yourself completely for the amount of time you'd have to dedicate to studying there and then start preparing for the exams. I am sure you will find many friends in IL who've either appeared in CAT exams or at least looked at it as an option.

If you are flexible on doing MBA from any other institute, you can prepare for CET, get a good score and still join prestigious schools.

Wish you luck in your endeavors!

3. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

hi

why do you want to do MBA in college, you have an option of doing it in correspondence, just think about it. if you want to do it in corres then you need not appear for any exams you can just go thru.

4. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Sorry about the kind of events there. I am Archana, appearing for CAT 2008. I am attending regular coaching classes at T.I.M.E Institute, Chennai.

I am not sure of online resources, but there are many available. Visit PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - Home. There are threads on MBA, different options, online resources etc. And, spend some time in research. Learn what you want to do. You need not do only an MBA. Look at all options.

U had mentioned u r a humanities graduate -which stream? Also, for CAT and for all other such management exams ( XAT, SNAP, JMET, CET, FMS, GMAT), age is not a matter. If I am not wrong, CAT can be writted till one is 45 i guess. So, am sure you have plenty of years.

Nowdays, good corresspondence courses are also avaialble. Anna Univ in Chennai, XLRI all offer courses. U can refer their websites for these.

After all your research, if you want to do only CAT - dont worry about materials. T. I.M.E has a corresspondece preparation program, you can enroll yourself and am sure one of the IL'ites will courier you the stuff!!

Cheers

Archana

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008