1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Epi-LASIK Surgery (Eyes)

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sweetncute, Sep 4, 2012.

1. sweetncute

sweetncute New IL'ite

Hi All,

Few days back... I was searching details about epi-lasik surgery in IL & was disappointed to find one post with very less information... let me explain a bit more for all those who are in search of it...

I was bespectacle for many years... being shy to wear specs from school..was avoiding it.. at one stage, was unable to see far things(most essential stuff..like bus numbers, presentations...) but did not tell anybody..managed.. then was getting to know about contact lens thro' my friend..(very rarely people wear contacts before 9 yrs). Thought of giving a try.. & Voila was able to see things very clear..... very happy...The major problem in wearing contacts are "wearing them".. sometimes would not fit in properly,,would take a long time to fit is correctly.. cleaning them everyday in the night.. tension of lens to slip down,,,washing face,can't get wet in rains... all these!!! Daily fight with them.. If they fall of from your hands.. very difficult to search,,most importantly staying in some guest house(they would look at you weird when u remove or insert the lens... they never understand the concept though!!)

Now, since it was 8 yrs(last Dec), was wearing lens.. thought of going for LASIK (few of my collegues had done it).. Went to optomolgist for checking, she had informed (few procedure before LASIK) :
    a) Off contact lens for 15 days(since long time lens user, need to be in specs for few days to know the rectina thickness, shape & so),, good it was Christmas holidays & dared to be with specs..
    b) Few tests to check the eligibilties for LASIK. (had done test day 1- off lens - reports were fine)
    c) Was given eye-drop to be used twice a day.
    I was asked to come 15 days later.. So the day arrived..very tensed/excited. Went for a final test before surgery.... Now came a bomb... Doc informed that I have thin corneas, for LASIK it should be above 550micron, while I had somewer in border of 500micron. She informed me to wait for 15 more days.. I was not willing, since my holidays over & need to head to work.... Was very very disappointed,, cried alot..y it happens to me :( then hubby informed that we can check with out doc later....

Until Aug.. I continued to wear contacts.. then thought y not give a try.. so again approached a new doc, now at Vasan Eye Care.. She informed that I need to be off lens for 5 days.. 6th day testing(not again :(..) & 7th day can go in for surgery.. So,, again all the procedure.. Hubby & a collegue adviced me to wear specs for long time, so that it would add more benefits..(So was tensed to wear them to office, since nobody knew.. I even wear contacts..) Actually without spec, I was unable to see computer too(have -4.5 both the eyes),,& now all started teasing, seeing me in specs... tats fine.. carried a don't care attitude throughout.. worn them for 13 days.. then came the testing part.. was getting afraid again (was hoping it would be perfect).. got the report.. doc not available to advice.. :( Tension prevailed for 2 more days.. then met doc, she again informed the same thing (my cornea is in border line for LASIK) and she might not advise LASIK... Then was a light of hope, suggested EPI-LASIK????? She did explain,, surgery after 2 days... but we techies..never satisfied/take decisions until browsing/google search..

Searched alot abt EPI-LASIK. Just to make a common person understand : LASIK is a form of surgery, where the cornea would be cut as flap (100-110 microns) by machine blades & Laser lights passed on it & then flap is closed(our eyes in-built like welcrow.. the one we have in shoes.. automatically get struck).. In this procedure, ur vision is corrected & u will be able to see clearly next day itself :).. in EPI-LASIK, there is no flap created, the cornea is cut in minimum(30-40 microns) & removed, Laser light passed & bandage contact lens are placed..The cornea would grow grow back in 5 days... It would take nearly 1-2 weeks for clear vision, while you can see tremendous improvement immediately have surgery. Vision would be blurred for few days.. (Both surgeries done with local anesthesia drops)

My experience on this surgery : Went tensed for the surgery.. Again test..reading was same 500microns.. More tensed after changing to patient dress, operation cap & all... anesthesia drops... went to the ops theatre.. was freaking out.. then the procedure started.. Was awake all through out the session, can observe that my cornea was cut.. then eyes clean then was concenrating on a green light & Laser was passed...(actually had no pain at all) then same procedure for another eye too... my surgery done in less than 15 mins... Immediately was given pain-killer too... returned home with lots of drops(to be used for few weeks).. After an hours,, my head started banging,, pain started.. as soon as I reached home.. had a pain-killer & sleeping tablet(doc recommends) was not able to open my eyes... slept like there no another day...Next day too passed the same way.. only opened my eyes for drops(evey 2 hours).. 3rd day,, a bit clear.. was able to open eyes,, see few things but very blur.. On 5th day, was able to see in left eyes but right eye was totally blurred(Strange....) had to visit doc for removing bandage contact lens.. OMG.. after she removed them.. was able to see better.. there was lots of flucations.. One day one eye was clear, the other day.. another.. was very afraid, since had to see system & nearly 7-8 days was unable to view computer properly... Its been 3 weeks now.. & I am able to view properly 95%.. although crystal clear vision would take a month or so.. I am ready to wait..

Its like a big boon to be off contact lens.. I am so happy.. no need to spend time every morning & night to wear/remove them, clean them.. take care of lens(they tear very easily).. In few days, I can play in water,, can get wet in rain... Stay overnight anywer.. do journeys hassle free...so on & on.. :) I was thanking GOD enough for giving me this blessing....

Longtime contact lens users/Specs users will understand my feelings... As I wake up I see clear things..(this would sum it all)...

Its become lengthy... but hope its useful for atleast one of U :)

Love,

Sweety

1 person likes this.

2. angel2011

angel2011 Bronze IL'ite

sweetncute,

Thanks for the information. how much did it cost?

3. positivegal

positivegal Gold IL'ite

Laser was not suitable for me, I went for ICL (Implantable contact lens). It costs about 1.2 -1.4 lakhs.

4. sweetncute

sweetncute New IL'ite

Hi Angel,

LASIK or Epi normally costs 35-37 thousand(for both eyes). I got it done in 30 thousand, through online deal in crazeal...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  5. sweetncute

sweetncute New IL'ite

Positivegal... tat seems expensive.... how is ur sight now???

6. SweetGirl20

SweetGirl20 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I did lasik surgery at chennai (Rajan Eye Care) 1 month back. I work in IT and so far did not find any issues. Cost is 40k for both eyes. I had 3.5 and 1 power on both eyes and now it has become 0. Please let me know if you need more details

7. positivegal

positivegal Gold IL'ite

Yes, ICL is expensive as contatcs has to be implanted in eyes by surgery.

8. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

There must be some conditions like, power has to be stable before going for implants right? :help

9. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the information.

10. mankan

mankan Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,I also got LASEr operation done in 2004.since then I had no problem. My no was in minus...I. Was so happy wen I got this done...but after first checkup only I was given date for LASIK ...in seven days I was able to see properly,,but followed sm precautions..like not rubbing eyes ...no threading...no eye makeup ...no kajal in my eyes and I was used to it..no sprinkling water directly in eyes...sm eye drops continued for six mths.....it costed me 22thousand. Rupees .