1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help. My 9 mo old baby is wheezing, coughing after a short plane trip.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Helpmeplease127, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Call it crazy but one of my very good friends did this for her kids - she would turn the shower on in the bath room and sit there in the rocker/chair with her kid when he napped holding him! The only thing I don't know is at what age she did this, I knew she practiced it even when they were 3 years old, she has twin boys!

Perhaps moms with your kid's age can tell you better if it worked/works for them!

2. JASIKA

JASIKA Bronze IL'ite

I am so sorry to hear that...Please do not blame yourself...

Like others said, definitely rub vicks under his feet and then put socks.
    Is he on antibiotics for ear infection? usually for little ones, they prescribe a thick syrup that lasts for 10 days
    Are you giving him Albuterol? it helps clearing up chest and helps with wheezing. It should be prescribed by doctor and is usually given every 4 hrs for 1 day and then only when needed with 4 hr gap each time....But i am not sure if it can be given to under 1 yr old...so check with doctor
    Try giving him watery soup...Avoid milk because it adds up mucus

You said he is wheezing - do you see dent underneath his neck in middle when he breathe? Do you feel he is breathing faster than normal (denting on his shoulders or stomach area)...If anything like this happens.....take him to ER immediately....

Take care

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

could be because of the steam?

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Yes, Rakhi just for that and I guess that constant noise of the shower soothed her babies!

5. Helpmeplease127

Helpmeplease127 Silver IL'ite

Wow very good advice from all of you. I am so thankful for this forum.
    I am doing the shower steam thing as well Srama. It seems to help lots. I think he is getting very hurry because pedialyte goes out in the urine very fast and is so thin. I gave him steamed apple today and was thinking about giving him rice cereal now.
    I am using the mild baby vicks once a day on his chest feet etc and ghee and salt mix one time a day. Just doing both hoping at least something will work.
    He was given the albuterol sulphate and we give him now every 6 hours. Does it take awhile to work. Today i saw a slight rash also on his bum and applied a cream maybe hes cranky because of the rash caused by loose motions.
    He was giben atiiotics when we took him to ER in florida but our doctor here said we can give or not give its upto us and he said it will do nothing much. Personally I do think antibiotics would help with drying up the congestion but since brinchiolities is viral it seems it will not. Very confusing. In India we always took antibiotics for cough, fever, infections everything and it seemed to help faster.
    He wasnt happy on the antibiotics though. The Amoxicillin made him throw up his milk. Hes on formula.

Thank you so much for the advice and please keep them coming and I will update about the situation.
    My worry is that he is so cranky, irritable and obviously very uncomfortable with something. What if we wont come to know and something serious going on inside.
    I have bad memories of losing my first when i was in high pain and we had taken it lightly. It clouds all my decisions now and its good in a way but also really bad in many ways to worry like that.

Thanks you again,
    Sia

6. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Sia,

Good that you gave him the required medical help at the right time. To answer your queries,

1.Rash. Please don't take it lightly. Call the doctor and discuss to rule out any allergies. Few people and babies are allergic to many medicines. Please call the Dr. right away.

2. Antibiotic is given for bacterial infections, not viral. Viral infection is treated symptomatically - based on symptoms. There is no medicine to fight virus. It dies away naturally. Same explanation goes true for viral fever, too.

3. Use humidifier. Turn off or reduce frequent usage of the heater. Heater is one of the major culprits in a majority of cases.

4. As srama had indicated, turning on the shower eases congestion. My Doc advised that method. But, please note that not all methods are for all diseases. Whatever you do, check with your doc before doing it. Remember he is an infant, so let you not think of experimenting with . Better to administer medicines and other practices as adviced by the doc.

5. Albuterol sulfate - it is an instant, miraculous drug. That's the way it worked with my son. He had his first asthmatic [ although it was diagnosed a swheezing in India] attack when 2.6 years old.

Good luck, & most of all, I know you should have done & if not, please offer your prayers to the Lord.

7. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

Hi Sia,

If you are breastfeeding, you can drink 'Rasam' a kind of soup with lot of pepper, ginger and garlic. You can drink Kashayams that help for the cold..

Don't panic.. It is hard for us to see them like that. But it will pass.. don't worry. Cold will take it's time. But with proper care.. it will go away..

Take care
    Nirmala

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Sia,
    Does your baby still have infection??? IS he coughing a lot, taking his hands on ears or can you see something in the ear.. if you are suspicious of anything visit the doctor again.. If doctor prescribes you antibiotics go for it.. Even it may be viral infection but we need antibiotics to prevent development of ay type of other infections.. Follow the doctor's advise and if it is already 3days then use antibiotics without any other thought.. Do you have any homeopathy doctor nearby.. for baby ear infection there is very good homeo medicine if it is taken in early stage.. do you have nasal drops?? Sometimes ear infection is caused due to sinus infection.. in such cases nasal drops helps?? Sinus and ear infection both causes coughing..

9. Helpmeplease127

Nirmala I am not breastfeeding. Do you think I can give him some chicken soup though?
    Padmash, he seems to be really congested and coughs a lot. I too wanted antibiotics but the doctor didnt care for them as he said this is viral. I believe antibiotics would have helped sooner but they seem to make a big issue about them in US. He prescribed ear drops for his ear infection. He had fluid in his ears but we dont know if its infection. Should have asked. I dont know what to do about antibiotics because doctor will not prescribe them I guess. He said they wont help. I really feel something strong he needs. I am doing the nebulizer albuterol every 6 hours.

10. Helpmeplease127

Also, I am not sure if its okay to just keep him on pedialyte. Since 4 days the poor baby has been having only pedialyte. He coughs more with rice cereal so we wont be trying it again and we gave him apple for the first time since he got sick today. The apple tasted sour (khatta) so I am not sure if that also is okay for him. Should i sweeten with sugar? The doctor is not very clear about many things. He does even tell us so many little things like keeping his head elevated or giving him steam, humidifier etc we have to research on our own and do all this.