1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why are Indians obsessed & covet light skin?

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by Indian_Rani, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

Do we really think light skin always mean beautiful skin? And that having dark skin is a sin? There is nothing wrong in wanting even skin, a glow etc...but why is being dark such a bad thing? I dont care if someone else uses fair and lovely but i dont want to be judged for refusing to conform. While growing up, I got crap from my aunties, old people and a teacher teased me for beign dark when I was young.

Years ago, an Indian man wanted to marry me but his parents thought I was too dark. His mother wanted a fair bride because to her that would make more beautiful babies. His family was rude, snotty and pretentious. I found out he was only interesed in my Visa becuz I was a citizen. No wonder i left that crazy family.

I then meet my current boyfriend. My ex & parents were not happy about me leaving them for an American man. It's obvious, my bf's family was accepting and didnt judge me on something shallow like skin-color. My boyfriend thinks my dark skin is sexy. Here in America, I got many compliments. With my dark skin (which I'm proud of) I had no problems attracting men (Indian and non-indian).

I refuse to use skin lightening products simply to get a lighter complexion. I care about my appearance. I use makeup and have a skin-care regimen to make my skin look its best.

I have seen stunning African models. Victoria's Secret has dark-skinned models including a dark Indian model. Personally, I don't understand why it's difficult for some (especially our culture) to understand that beauty comes in all colors - whether dark or light.

1 person likes this.

2. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi rani ma'am,

:iagree with you. beauty is only skin deep. how you feel about yourself also affects how you look. if you feel that you're gorgeous, then you are. if think you're ugly, then you might be too. i too do not get why the obssession for a lighter skin colour is ever present. look the whites, they actually go for tanning to make their skins darker than their original pale white colour.and they actually admire our skin tone than their own.

and another thing,confidence....
    with a slightest touch of confidence, it transforms even the most normal looking woman to an amazingly stunning beauty( i may be exaggerating a little here). but anyhow, confidence is also another factor that plays a part on our looks. a friend of mine who is much bigger in size than me and darker too.but most guys are actually attracted to her than my other friends who are the typical fair beauties...and my friend's secret? confidence of course.and she know how to carry herself in public.so,i feel that we should always be confident to be in our own skin than try and emulate others.

nice topic.keep the posts coming...
    regards,

3. archanaanil

archanaanil New IL'ite

Hey Rani,

Skin color mite have got nothing to do with oneself..but the truth abt it is tht it has got its wide spread rotten roots in most of the Indian minds..which if uve ever experienced atleast one in every 10 in India discuss n think they either had,prayed or tried for a fairer complexion or look upon someone with one..

Its still an aweful n unsenstive trival matter which always seems to take the centre stage in all those women centric talks..(Ive personally experienced those)..

But i think its more got to do with oneself than with a group.I myself have a wheatish complexion which im proud of n infact thank god a thousand times for not having tht so called "Fairer Complexion" as it is this wheatish complexion of mine which doesnt project blackheads,, it is this wheatish complexion which wouldnt limelite ur sun tan, n it is this wheatish complexion which looks sexy n shimmery when given a low to medium maintanence..

Come join in the bandwagon of the Darker Complexion rulers

LoL..
    Archana

4. Indian_Rani

Indian_Rani Junior IL'ite

My boyfriend did a study abroad program in Bangalore and he told me he was surprised by discrimination between Indians. I first thought he meant caste system but he was talking about skin color. He stayed only for 4 months.

Unfortunately, some of my extended family members are shallow. To them a lighter skinned girl with uneven skin, pimples or a pasty complexion is prettier than a bronze tanned girl with flawless skin and healthy glow.

My 14 yr old cousin is beautiful. She has a bronze-tan look. She's dark but her skin is flawless and has a healthy glow but she feels pressure to be fair and has been teased for being dark.

My relatives hear that I am courting an American. First they wondered why I didnt settle for a good old indian boy? Later, they became more accepting. Then one of my relatives ask me whether he was white or black. I am not sure of it was an innocent question or if she was hoping for a fair white man. If my bf was black, I wonder how my extended family would react & if they would be that accepting? (I can't believe it)

I hope this mentality changes, but knowing our homeland, this could mean another 30 years. Among my Indian peers here in America, skin color is not a big deal but some moms, older aunties, grandmothers still obsess over skin color.

5. Sheetha

Sheetha New IL'ite

Completely agree with you Indian Rani.

Among India's ugly secrets are its discrimination against dark skinned folks. I find Indians are shallow, petty and superficial in many ways.

We openly discriminate based on caste, language, sex, color, creed, place of origin and anything else we can think of. Yet we call ourselves a united country. Its pitiful. No one cares and wants to do anything about it.

Just like in the US where magazines display touched up photographs of wafer thin models and call that the standard of beauty, the media in India potrays bleached skin women as the standard of beauty. Many ignorant men fall for this and demand fair skinned brides. Atleast in the US most men have the sense to not demand wafer thin models for wives even if the media keeps bombarding that image.

6. gauridatta

gauridatta New IL'ite

Hello dear ladies
    I also found some of the people especially indian roaring and shwing off their fair skin. I do have a fair complexion but dont find any reson in that to simply criticize others.
    What do they know of lil darker skin, Its the fact that a dark skinned women looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyy sexy than a fair skinned women, also a lil darker skin ages slowly that means such tones better health and shows less signs of aging.
    For me good features and attitude matters the most
    and believe me, U dont have to respond to ridiculously minded people
    Think u the most beautiful person in the world
    I ALWAYZ DO THAT Harhar

Drowning

7. nishali78

nishali78 New IL'ite

to the original poster. I'm with you on this one. I never felt ugly until I come in contact with some backwards thinking indian or pakistani. Of course my parents have that thinking too that skin color makes a girl beautiful. but they've been in this country so long now that that kind of thinking is actually wearing off. my dad will say whether a girl is ugly or not whether she has light skin or dark skin.

its funny because alot of white americans think i'm gorgeous but i myself don't feel that because of my skin color. to indians and pakistanis the lighter you are the more beautiful you are. it always makes me feel awkward. i'm brown. i like my tone. sometimes i do wish i was lighter but thats only because I've surrounded myself with people with small minds. then i have to wake up from reality and see that i have alot to be thankful for and that i shouldnt stoop to any level. yes I've seen gorgous dark people and light people. id ont believe its about skin color. its about narrowmindedness running down from generation to generation.

8. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

I agree with your opinions here and this is a really good thread for discussion. I cannot understand why Indians think that lighter skin color is beautiful and not look at the quality of the skin or the features or the inner beauty.

On the other hand, Americans don't discriminate between lighter and darker skin color and I believe, it will take generations for Indians to change their mode of thinking.

I also find that our movies and soaps also carry the message that light skin is beautiful and dark skin is ugly and this thinking needs to change.

Thanks
    Shyl

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Why,

Because we are a bunch of insane, hypocritical and sadistic people.. That's why ;-)

10. deviswez

deviswez New IL'ite

Hi i am Trisha devi

Ya, what the discussion is going here is really true. I am the one suffering for this for long. I am not too dark but including everyone speaking to me newly suggest me a solution for my skin lightening. I am gal very sensitive and dont hurt others. So simply smile smartly for their suggestions. Y peoples like this whats there in this fairness. Feel bad :hide: ??? My question is "How to hide myself?" or "How to avoid those nonsense?". Frankly say "Is my boldness and confident works out here".

Regards
    Trisha

1 person likes this.