1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in speech

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by kalpsadit, Oct 4, 2006.

1. geethaelite08

geethaelite08 New IL'ite

This not a problem not all ,toddlers differ from each other we can try to mingle them with kids of thier age or 3 or 4 year kids and they learn from them when they talk ,toddlers will try to imitate them only like that they can easily learn and talk .doctors ask us not worry at all:cheers
    once they start talking then more questions will come and we will not be able to answer them.

regards
    geetha vignesh

2. nithya0781

nithya0781 Senior IL'ite

Hi Kirithika,
    how old is Kiran?...my daughter is 4 yrs old and I got some level 1 books last week.But she is telling the story on seeing the pictures but she is not ready to read.She knows alphabets but she can able to write only few.when Kiran started reading?..give me some ideas...

And also now she is not listening to anyone.She is stubborn,very bossy and not ready to do anything like brushing,bathing not combing her hair etc....is this normal at this age?...Give me some ideas like how to change her behaviour.I always ended with shouting at her for all the things and i feel very guilty for yelling at her.

Nithya.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi Nithya. K is a new reader - started only the last month or so. We are huge bibliophiles at home and we have no T.V. :-D I think these two things played an important role. The third thing was K had to drop out of school last year due to health reasons and I had to take up homeschooling to continue with what they would have done in school. I used starfall.com (it has beginning level reading books), books from the BC library and the comp to teach him to read.
    Yes, he has his own will too at close to 4 years. We all have our morning routines and we stick to it and let him do his own routine. He has a visual aid with clipart for waking up, brushing teeth, breakfast, etc. and he follows it largely. We never did any reward system, so I dont know how it works. Only spoke K through his routine. Supposing K refuses to eat his breakfast, DH or I will tell him something like.
    "You are finding it difficult to eat your breakfast on time. Is it too hot, too cold, too _____?" If k were to say, it is too cold, we will go to the kitchen with K and put the dish in the microwave, make it warm and then cut it up so that he can eat.
    He is bossy, but then he is imitating my speech. If I were to tell him come here, he will also tell me come here. I am fine with that. We keep modelling the expected behaviour from him. We usually dont say good boy or bad boy, only K is not willing to cooperate today. When we do lapse, we apologise to him too. "Amma should not have shouted at you and is sorry for hurting your feelings." That works magic for us.
    I would suggest Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish' book How to talk to kids so they listen and how to listen so they talk. Great ideas. HTH

4. nithya0781

nithya0781 Senior IL'ite

Thanks very much Kirithika.
    I ordered the book and i'll get the book by next week. Thanks for the ideas.
    Stay tuned kirithi (kirithika sounds too formal :)).I'll come back with more questions after sometime :-D.

Nithya.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

no problems Nithya, except my name is Krithika... if that is a mouthful call me RK. Only my sister can call me Krithi and get away with it :-D

6. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi tikka..

Thank you for suggesting the book. This book seems very promising. I have ordered it for myself too. I have two years old, just a normal child and do what he suppose to do according to his age. Except he gets over excited to see other kids and scratch them sometime, which I am working on it. But I am sure in his coming years he might challange us with big issues, as I am reading the other users posts. Sometime It scares me and makes me wonder if I would be a good mother to my son...would we have a great relationship with him always. I know right now its a silly thing to think. But I want to do my best and grab all the information and start practicing.

I have read your other posts. Thank you so much for always been there for others. And Thank you to Indusladies and other IL users.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. SLV

SLV Gold IL'ite

If you wish to read, i do have some activities and suggestion in this thread, please do look up
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/t...-langauge-development-children-questions.html

Speaking two languages is way very common in our country and most of us grown up as multi-linguals too. There is no proven theory which says use of two languages delays a child's language development. So two languages is just not a problem as long as he is growing normally and is able to catch up. If you also have concernsb about his overall growth, then we'll need to address this issue differently.
    If you feel he is just a normal child who is growing normally, then there is no need to worry about introducing another language.
    To be frank, you don't need to teach Hindi...i mean, if its the mother tongue, just go ahead and converse with him in Hindi, he'll follow through at his pace. Don't insist he also answers in Hindi (not answering doesn't mean he isn't learning the language). Give him the choice to respond in his own way. Learning a language has a lot to do with how much the child is exposed to that language. So if you are so keen on him learning Hind, converse a lot in that language too.
    Its just easy to teach concepts in English because it might help him in academics in the future.
    Ex: its easy if the child knows "Red" than "Laal".....but its ok to listen to it in cenversation and trust me he'll be following you well. But give him a choice to say/use the word "red"....its ok!
    Feel free to talk to him in a language of your choice and encourage him to participate in whatever way he can. I don't see a need to isolate languages and make it so artificial and a task oriented activity.
    Stay normal, he is learning and he'll be all talkative soon.
    Good luck!

8. devilalithac

devilalithac New IL'ite

Re: Language improvement

hello asha,

i am new to IL.. i have gone thr your post on language improvement. It was posted by you long back. But if you help me on this it will be greatful... My DS is 3 year old. She also always repeat what i say to her.. like if i ask her "saptiya?" ,she also repeat "saptiya" ...even if it is 3/4 words sentence she will repeat as it is. I tried making her to reply..but nothing worked out till now...Pls let me know how you dealt this with your DS and share some tips to make my DS to reply. Expecting that you will go thr my post and reply..

9. harini1986

harini1986 Junior IL'ite

very informative thanks.

10. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Re: Language improvement

Is she following the direction...any other words she would say other than imitating???

Recognize the alphabet or any pictures?