1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Going to play school for first time

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sowraj, Jan 3, 2013.

1. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

My daughter is now 2 yrs and 4 months. She has started going to play school from yesterday. parents are asked to wait out till the child settles down and in case the kids gets uncontrollable and cries a lot.
    And they want to increase the time from half hour 1 hour to 3 hours.
    Day1: she didnt cry and went inside without much fuss, spent about half hour reaing some books and later started crying when some kid came to her for something. and she started crying and after 10 min she didnt stop and we were called and we picked her up. she was there for about 45 min.
    Day2: She didnt want to go in atall and the class teacher picked her up and she was taken in. After some 15 min they said she is fine not crying but quite and just watching others. Then after sometime they took her out and came and said she was crying for almost half hour non-stop and didnt want read books too and we picked her back home. She was there for an hour today.
    Can you mommies let me know your experience, and how the inital days to school went and is this normal.
    Any tips for me to make her comfortable at school.

2. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Away from home for first time - to school

My daughter is now 2 yrs and 4 months. She has started going to play school from yesterday. parents are asked to wait out till the child settles down and in case the kids gets uncontrollable and cries a lot.
    And they want to increase the time from half hour 1 hour to 3 hours.
    Day1: she didnt cry and went inside without much fuss, spent about half hour reading some books and later started crying when some kid came to her for something. and she started crying and after 10 min she didnt stop and we were called and we picked her up. she was there for about 45 min.
    Day2: She didnt want to go in at all and the class teacher picked her up and she was taken in. After some 15 min they said she is fine not crying but quite and just watching others. Then after sometime they took her out and came and said she was crying for almost half hour non-stop and didnt want read books too and we picked her back home. She was there for an hour today.
    Can you mommies let me know your experience, and how the initial days to school went and is this normal.
    Any tips for me to make her comfortable at school.

3. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

Dear I totally understand your situation as I have gone thru this myself. My baby is 2.6 and when he was 2 from then I have started leaving him Play school cum day care.
    Whatever is happening is normal and part of this transition for your little one. Do give her time to adjust and understand the change. Just be sure you talk to her and make her adapt the change. Whenever you are with her at home, make her understand why going school is good and necessary, show her other children going school happily and enjoying it.

If she cries don't offer to tk her back, this will give a wrong msg to her....

When my baby went to play school first day...he went happily....later after two days he realized that I leave him there so he started crying a lot...then the care provider some how managed her on her own with toys and all....then at home we have talked to him about why its necessary to go thr and how it is more fun etc etc.....within few days he got accustomed to that place and routine....but this is a cyclic process like....after long vacations this scenario repeats....also y'day only I have changed his Daycare so again he is taking time to adjust...but now he knows very well that his parents go to school and he lives at his school and we come bake at 6 and be with him then.....

So whatever is happening is absolutely normal...u n ur li'l one both hv to cope up with it.....give time and relax.....this is a transition period and it will pass....

4. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot for oyur reply smile14... i am just worried how long she is going to take to settle down, the thing is we dont feel like leave her crying and come off for that time and may be from next week will leave her for more time there in school

5. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Re: Away from home for first time - to school

hi sow raj
    My kids are similar aged ... And they too go to a playschool. It takes about a week or more , a month depending on your child to adjust To live for few hours without your presence .
    things will get okay over the time just leave it .
    If you have kids from your colony or building going to the same playschool then group up and go together .if you have a bus coming to pick up its even more better . When they see a group of kids of the same age leaving their parents they feel more comfortable . I would suggest the bus option .
    There are two things to this some schools request the parents to stay till the child is comfortable .some request them to leave them with them till the school finshes they will manage.
    IMO ( my experience ) its best to leave the child to them . Children don't understand the concept of time , so if you tend to stand they will think my mother will come in anytime keep looking out for you .. Sometimes they may purposely throw a tantrum just to see you knowing that you are outside..
    It will take nearly a week for the child to familiarize with the new environment, teacher etc. New language ... . Just ensure your child is well fed and not crying due to hunger .
    I know it's not easy but don't keep waiting out .. Go home . It's a natural transition for the child .. Let the child learn to cope up herself with the help of the teacher .
    My kids too faced ths .on enquiring with the teacher she told me your son was ok but your daughter kept crying throughout the sessions I felt very bad for her but now they are absolutely comfortable ..
    It took about 10 days for my daughter to get adjusted . Though after a week her crying became less .
    My kids attended the playschool for 3 hrs plus 2 hours traveling way up and back by bus.. In all fr 5 hours they were without my presence .
    All the best
    Ramya

6. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the tips Ramya, you are right she is sure that we are outside waiting for her.. but i thought that will give her confidence that we are there for her..
    just crossing my fingers its gets passed soon.. i know everyone goes through it but just wanted to get some tips from here so that i can shorten this transition phase.

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

8. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the link..
    from yesterday i have leaving her for the entire 3 hours of play school... and last few days i am telling her lot of stories off children going to school and letting her know school will have lot of fun things
    showing her cousins going to school..
    talking of her favorite cartoon character going to school
    bribing with chocolates
    promising to buy her a gift when she is back without crying
    have tried all of it.. still she cried this morning.. she was not willing to go in and was hugging my husband and the teacher has to forcefully take her in..

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sowraj
    One caution never ever use the bribe route... It will take some more time for her to realise whatever she may do you wont heed and she has to go to school... I know it tugs your heart to see her crying but no choice dear

10. sowraj

sowraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks VJ... i know it will take time and every one has gone through it but its really hard... Anothe rchallenge is they give lot of leaves for all festivels and this break is again deviating her from school.. even the weekend is a trouble.. she went for 3 days from jan 2nd then weekend break again this monday was like day 1..