1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of symptom of FOMO

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Dec 26, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Do you get symptom of FOMO?

You must be wondering what is FOMO. It is Fear Of Missing Out digital or cell phone connectivity and social net work connectivity. I have come to know about this from TOI.

Can you stay back for a few days from your virtual friends of social network sites? Can you refrain from sending SMS or posting 'Status' at least for a few hours. Suppose you are going on holiday, Will you spend the time with your family or take your laptop wherever you go and try to keep in touch with network site? Will you feel that you should be always available to your friends and that you should send instant reply to their email and SMS?

There are many who are obsessed with this kind of feeling of missing out. These people are addicted to social networking mediums. As soon as they get up in the morning the first thing they would do is to cheek up if they received any message or missed any call during the night.

My son had gifted me a laptop and told me to carry it with me when I go out station so that I can't miss IL. But I prefer not to take and keep myself free from outside world. I do take my cell phone so that I can use it in case of emergency. Others also can contact us if needed.

Nowadays youngsters are getting addicted to these high tech gizmos and even while sleeping they could not part with them.

Beware of symptom of FOMO !

11 people like this.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Interesting information it is, Madam. Just wondering why one should be worried so much about feeling left out in virtual world. But it gives an identity which they think reflects them like an icon.

Thankfully, I am addicted only to a few and IL is one of those, where I visit and post frequently. But I don't feel missed out if I can't access it. Thanks. -rgs

3. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

well nowadays most of the youngesters are digitally connected through cell phones, cameras, ipads, laptops. well i guess life is going the digital way. some may disconnect, others may fall in FOMO trap, some others will come out utimately and use it carefully. call it the darwins theory of modern age. everyone has to go through it and adapt to his/her life. how depends on their individuality

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS mam,

nope no FOMO yet! I have learnt that I can stay with out this virtual world easily. The times I feel drawn are the times when I am bored, then I am incessantly surfing. And no that does not include IL and mail accounts - every day i spend some time on these by choice and don't surf more after that. As for living in the virtual world while travelling, a big no no for I have the FOMO there - fear of missing out on what the place has to offer :)

5. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Puahpavalli,

You are absolutely right as this addiction has captured the youngster already and gradually spreading over to next generation as well.It is always a good idea not to get hooked up to anything whatsoever.

Love,
    Bhavna

6. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Dear Mam,

Keeping in touch with the virtual world has its own advantages. But today's youngsters should know their limits.

Lakshmi.

2 people like this.
  7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli
    In real life I have yet to meet a woman who does not walk around without cellphone! It is always only a hand feet away and then based on who calls they decide whether to take it or not.
    Even here you should have clearly said missing out on the digital world is not just for internet usage but also includes cell phone usage.
    There is now no use of telling beware of the symptom FOMO as it has already overtaken our world.
    More than youngsters , Also I find more old age people , that is people above the age of 40, who walk around with cell phones or drive with cell phones glued to their ears.
    Also blogging sites are filled with old age that is 40 plus people hogging the site. In my opinion its not the youngters we need to worry about but the old people.
    But its also a good thing for older people to stay connected via internet or cell phone or sms. In a way technology is a good thing too.

8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Madam,

Addiction to anything is not good.

Cell phones, computors, internet....should be used for convenience (especially cell phones) but not for talking while driving or crossing the road or endless SMS. Generally young people do it more....they should be weaned. becuase time is very valuable for them...this endless chatter does not lead them anywhere, except filling the brain with junk and it is dangerous to do it while driving. So many sites on PCs which youngsters waste their time which can be used in a more meaningful way.
    Seniors are not addicted....even if no harm. They do not have many people with whom they chat endlessly either on internet on mobiles. Who wants to speak with a senior except asking how are you? Internet is a time pass for them. I have an uncle who is old....health problems, limitations in going out.His son bought him a computor and tauaght his some basics. He spends a lot of time oHe listens to may discourses, youtube songs, old movies. He is no more lonely when everyone goes to work. Laptop is his companion. His family members are busy with their own chores and busy life. For such people it is o.k. But not for youth.

Thank you for a thought provoking one.

Syamala

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear rgs,
    Thanksn and posting your first fb.
    Generally people like do us not get addicted to internet or cell phone. We use the phone judiciously, not for gossiping and do surfing internet when we have time to spare.
    Thanks for your prompt post,
    PS

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear cedantseq,
    Yes. As you have said it depends on the individual how to use these gadgets. It is a pity many youngsters are addicted too much to these gadgets and are wasting their time .
    PS