To ask or not to ask...for a raise in salary....?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by soumyapr, Dec 15, 2012.

1. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

"Appraisals are where you get together with your team leader and agree what an outstanding member of the team you are, how much your contribution has been valued, what massive potential you have and, in recognition of all this, would you mind having your salary halved."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

Dear Friends, I want to avoid getting in the above situation. And hence I am here asking for help.

What would be a good way to ask for a raise. To be very honest, my current salary is... :rant:rant:rant:rant

Is it a good idea to ask for a raise before the appraisal? And how? I will have appraisal after 3-4 months and I am not keen to wait for that long for a hike.
    Or should I change my job and look elsewhere?

What do you suggest?

2. Bes

Bes Silver IL'ite

I have learnt the hard way that it is always better to ask for a raise. During the first few years of my career i never asked for a raise assuming that I would be given what i deserve. I learnt that this is not always the case. I was never happy with what I got and now I am being paid much less than most of my peers.
    Your manager is not always thinking of you. You must straight away ask for a raise. Dont be aggressive but let your boss know that you are not happy with your current compensation and would be motivated more if you are given a good raise.

But make sure you ask!

3. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Depends a lot on how indispensable you are to your boss/project and the financial state of your company..
    How long are you with the company.. your role.. your reputation.. etc are other factors.

4. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

I have been at the company for only one year, do not have much work experience, yet I feel that I should get a little more than what I am getting now. My salary right now is too low.

Well how do I tell my manager that I am not satisfied with current compensation. My manager isn't very approachable.

5. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

You have absolutely nothing to lose if u ask for a raise in a professional, confident and polite manner. If u get it- yayy! if u don't- try again when the time is ripe.