1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I have Meera.. :) Thanks !

1 person likes this.
  3. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Hi Drpreethis,
    I had some inflammation in the gums and visited a dentist she gave me antibiotics and ibuprofen for 10 days!!!she told me she needs to do a general cleaning first then deep cleaning each quadrant costing totally 400 dollars and general cleaning $115 plus consultation.somehow I din't like her treatment since she did not tell me she Is writing prescription for 10 days and also the ibuprofen,i am against antibiotics and pain killers, my husband bought the preqscription fully unknowingly which is lying waste .i have an appointment with a new dentist I dont know what to expect.....I don't have cavities but some plaque built up behind the teeth which is causing some sensitiveness If i chew food and bleeding while brushing.previous doctor took X-ray of my teeth and told its the problem with the bones of my teeth.i have a wisdom teeth coming in my upper right quadrant and food gets stuck there,I am having problem only on the right side like sensitiveness, previous gum infection (a month ago),some pain if I eat sweets......should I deep clean all 4 Qudrants ?does cleaning solve these problems?previous dr didn't tell anYthing about the wisdom teeth....I'm so confused.please giv me suggestion.

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Prabha,

Sensitive teeth and bleeding gums are hints to underlying problems.
    Bleeding would happen when the space between tooth and gums are widened and the regular attachments between the two are broken by bacteria. The inflammation ( which is reaction to early bacterial invasion ) can be a problem on its own and also a warning about the future damage that awaits.
    Hating to take antibiotics and analgesics is not abnormal but you shouldn't be adamant when it needs to be followed. Well, here, I don't know why the antibiotics were prescribed. Unless there is severe periodontal disease. You are right that the Dentist had to explain whats and why's .. Since you already have the tablets, let us preserve it and see what the other dentist advises.
    Prabha, the bone loss doesn't happen soon enough.. Its an end process. First there is tartar, bacteria make themselves comfortable there .. then they feed on the food in your mouth, eventually start attacking the tissues around being , gums, attachments, go deeper up to root and finally affects the bone. That is when there is a bone loss. When there is a loss of bone and the attachments that hold the tooth together by the gums, the tooth tends to lose the support and falls away. Hope you got the whole process now.

Treatment, would be removing tartar by superficial cleaning, meaning on the surface of the tooth so that it doesn't harbour more bacteria and deep cleaning as well where the inflammatory cells from beneath the gums and on the surface of the root will be removed by different instruments. Deep cleaning requires opening up the gums a lil and exposing the tooth surfaces for better and thorough cleaning. It won't hurt as it sounds. The area will be anaesthetised usually.

Whether you need the treatment you mentioned.. ? Yes. Simply because you mentioned the words bone loss. Its better to get an entire sitting of all the four quadrants done to avoid any persistent bacteria in the other areas as well. Its like this prabha, when we see extensive bone loss on 2 quadrants of let's say opposite sides, it is considered that the bacteria has spread enough and could affect the other quadrants too in the near future. If just the 2 affected quadrants are cleaned, the invisible bacteria that could be present in the yet to show up sides, will soon affect them and the treated ones too. Got it ? So better be safe than sorry.

About the wosdom tooth problem, that needs to be removed. The risk here is, diseases related to gums and bones let away hints like bleeding gums, sensitivity and dull ache when biting or brushing. Whereas decay and wisdom tooth problems give away ' pain '.. But hints are hints and that is wise to consider than ignore.

Make sure you get cleaning once every 6 months to avoid any gum related problems in the future.

Take care.. Hope I helped.

5. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much for your time and detailed reply Drpreethis .I have an appointment with new dentist tomorrow.

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Preethi...

My dd is 7.5 yrs old... her teeth is becoming black inside... i started to brush 2 times a day....should i consult a dentist...

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Yes Vahee,

You need to visit the Dentist for her. The black thing could b tartar, decay or even stain. All of them can only be treated by a Dentist.

Take care

1 person likes this.
  8. rsk11584

rsk11584 Silver IL'ite

Dear Doc,

Around 4-5 years ago i had my teeth cleaned from a known dentist in my old city where i lived, now i have permanently transferred to chennai, at that time itself 4-5 years ago i came to know there are two methods of teeth cleaning, by hand and by machine, and was told that during cleaning by machine if too much enamel or layer is erosed then it becomes problem, hence the doctor cleaned my teeth by hand it took around 1 hour to clean the teeth, also 4-5 years ago i had got a cavity filled which is now good, and not giving any prob. Now i am planning to get my teeth cleaned in chennai, hence can you tell me what is the cost of cleaning teeth and which method the doc will use also i want a doc who would leave the existing filled cavity unharmed, in india or in general we find that whenever we give product to repair the specific problem is solved but some new problem arises, i am just concerned that this teeth whitening should not go wrong, also in snapdeal i see many dentists offering 70% discount can we trust them because if something goes wrong then we will suffer whole life, i dont mind spending but would like to know normal teeth cleaning rates,

thanks doc

9. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

please tell me something about teeth whitening?! is it good & worth getting......? also let me know the cost for it.......

10. Natiya

Natiya New IL'ite

Dear Dr,
    I have done Root canal for one of my teeth 2 year before. Every 3 months once, the crown of the treated tooth comes out and my Dr again fix with cement. What should be the permanent solution for me, and it's really annoying too...
    Thanks