Life in an assisted living facility in usa.. .a writeup from a local magazine

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by maya69, Nov 27, 2012.

1. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

I recently read this article in our local indian magazine (india Currents) in bay area. its an indian octogenarians take on life in an assisted living facility in usa. i was touched by the authors positive attitude to life and its changes even as she enters her mid 80s. Thought others might enjoy.

Finding Youth in a Retirement Home | India Currents

10 people like this.

2. vidhya81

vidhya81 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for sharing a very good article. I am really moved

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for sharing this very interesting article with us Maya. :)

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for bringing this article here. I am so impressed with the lady who inspite of tragedy has made a change into positive outlook to make a difference.

5. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Thank you for sharing this article with us.
    God bless you.

6. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Such a beautiful article. Thanks for sharing

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Maya

thank you so much for sharing this article. This amazing lady shares all the positive aspects of her current life in spite of the fact that it is so different from the one she was used to.

8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

This is a very beautiful article and very inspiring thank you for sharing this.

I do not want to take anything away from Ms. Mani, but I also want to point out her article implies what a difference where one is makes. Ms. Mani comes from a particular strata of the society and has had access to education, which is not true for many women of her generation. Education, and work and the social support one has around us makes such a difference to our lives and where we end up. She did not really have to be financially dependent on her children, and it makes such a difference. One's education, one's professional status and one's location makes a huge difference. I hope more elders are able to enjoy their last years like Ms. Mani

1 person likes this.
  9. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

Hi Arch1209,

Yes i agree with you that education and financial strata makes a big difference. I also thought the same when i read. My own mom nor my in laws would be be able to do this financially. but i dont think they would be willing to do this food or culturewise either. that way Mrs Mani is admirable. I have some friends of my in laws who are in a care facility as their daughter could no longer manage them at home (she did for many years) and when my inlaws visit the couple occasionally, that couple always complaint about food etc and how unhappy they are. Atleast Mrs Mani was practical and strong minded to deal with it all.

The article made me think of my own retirement years down the line. Am i preparing myself well for time? And with so many of our generation preferring nuclear families and so too our kids, retirement communities will get more prevalent among indians as well.

3 people like this.
  10. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Maya,
    Thank you SO much for sharing this article as it really hit home for me.

Regards,
    Oopall