Can anyone share tips for storing corriander and curry leaves for longer time?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by lucky10, Nov 29, 2012.

1. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite

Jayanthi.. This storing in wtaer in fridge is a new tip.. Will try it out next time.. But have to be careful to change water every 5 days na...

1 person likes this.
  2. jayanthisuresh

jayanthisuresh Gold IL'ite

ya please take care to change the water.. sorry for the image uploading in different sizes.. that content was taken from net so please bare it..

3. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

Jayanthi,

What an idea madamji.
    This is very new to me. Will try this and thanks for the tip.

1 person likes this.
  4. renualways

renualways Gold IL'ite

Wow! Good info with demo.Special thanks to you,jayanthi.

1 person likes this.
  5. tara06

tara06 Silver IL'ite

nice information in detail. thanks a lot........

6. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

7. Poonamk1

Poonamk1 Silver IL'ite

Clean it.. but DON'T wash it.. and keep in a dry air tight box inside fridge.. it'll stay fresh for a week or more..

Note: Sometimes sellers use to sprinkle water on leafy vegs.. So, make sure it's not wet before storing.. keep it under fan for sometime if needed..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I have used the green bag (Debby Meyer bags) sold here in US and they work very well. All the fruits and vegetables give off ethylene gas that makes they ripe faster or spoil. These bags prevent the spoilage. Can last up to 12 days.
    I also work for a company that makes ethylene absorption products however they are sold wholesale to grocers and florists. Nothing for a consumer at the moment. This is where i learned about the ethylene gas from produce.

Thanks!
    Oopall.

9. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Curry leaves :- Spread a paper in a box and store the curry leaves as sprigs (never remove leaves). This methods helps you store them fresh for 3 weeks in refrigerator. I am in a place where curry leaves are rare and is sold for money only and this is the method I follow.

Coriander Leaves :- remove the root, clean and use till the tender part. Wrap in a paper. But remember to remove it from the fridge spread on a towel for 10 minutes and again repack it and store. This way they will stay fresh without getting spoilt. I use the veg bags (light cloth bag or the plastic bags with holes) to store the coriander bunch (big ones) after removing the root. This applies to any leafy vegetable too. Cloth bags are good. You can use old fabrics to stitch these bags using hands or machine.

Green chillies :- remove the stem and in a container place some paper and put the chillies in, put one more paper piece on top and store in refrigerator. This will increase its life by keeping them fresh.

10. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

I store all my leafy vegs including coriander and curry leaves in Tupperware fridge smart.They stay very fresh upto 15 or even more days,But like almost everyone has said,make sure that there is no water in the leaves as then they go bad sooner.

1 person likes this.