1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how many words does your 18 month old speak?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by mayamom, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mayamom

mayamom New IL'ite

I live in Dallas, TX. Our pediatrician thinks our child is bright & gifted and wanted us to put him in a program that will focus on developing his skills even further.

However, I think most indian kids could do what he is doing. I wanted to check with you ladies to see if any of your 18 month olds do any of what he does...or in fact, if he is indeed gifted. I dont want to put him in some accelerated program (through which he will enter school much ahead of his peers)., if this is infact what most indian kids do.

Our son started speaking at 9 months and spoke about 100+ words at 12 months and 450+ words at 18 months. He understands a lot more words but 450+ words is what he actually speaks.

At 18 months,
    - he spoke 450+ words, could understand a lot more words, and spoke in sentences. frequently in 2-3 word sentences. and also used 4-6 word sentences.
    - could solve most puzzles designed for 3 year olds even by 15 months.
    - could sing 5 songs (abcd, twinkle twinkle, old macdonald, row row, 1 2 buckle your shoe, etc)., if he listens to any song a few times, he could sing most of the lyrics.
    - He knew most basic shapes by 12 months and at 18 months, he knows advanced shapes like pentagon, octagon, etc.
    - can recall stories that were read to him
    - could count up to 10 (not just tell the numbers, but actual counting)
    - knew days of the week, the weather (& what it meant)
    - knew names of most music intruments and could play simple beats in drums to simple songs just by listening to the song.
    - has great gross motor skills and plays basketball, throw & catch ball, balance beams, etc.

We dont train him or spend extra time with him teaching all this. he just picks it up from general conversation and he will usually ask what it is and we take his lead to explain things to him.

I would be very helpful if you could please let me know if this is advanced for 18 months or if this is what most indian kids do! this will help us decide if we should put him the accelerated program or not. thank you!

2. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

super kid...i think he is too fast..

3. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Maya,

At 18 months, most kids would be able to speak short sentences. But solving puzzles, playing the drums, being able to tell the weather and his superb motor skills show that he is ahead of other kids his age. He is a gifted child.

God bless him.

love,
    kylie

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI OP,
    your kid does sound gifted. Does he go to playschool or day care now? In my opinion (and others may disagree) it is best to continue with the program he is in, right now. Once he is old enough to start pre-k, you can look around for programs which will challenge him more. It is a good idea to keep children with the same age peers for however long you can. He is bright, yes, but he also needs to do the things that other 2 yr olds do.

Once he starts regular school he will go through the whole 'gifted' route. Even then I would suggest that you stay on top of his socialization opportunities. Have fun though-it is very nice to challenge a kid who asks so many questions:)

2 people like this.
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have a gifted DS. If he can cope up with the fast learning pace, I think you should put him in the accelerated program. If you feel the program is stressing him out, then you can stop him from the program. I feel you should give him the opportunity.

6. Shilpa Pratheep

Shilpa Pratheep Bronze IL'ite

my DD spoke her first word at 7 months.
    She used to call me Amma, if I ask "wat do u want" she would say "unga"(milk)

she used to speak 2 words together by 12-13 months.As in "give milk" "lets go"
    By 15 months she spoke sentences and by 18 months she used to tell stories as in how she met people and bought veges in store.

She knew more than 1000 words by 18 months(she could tell every thing in the 1000 words picture dictionary)
    She could count up to 10 (not just tell the numbers, but actual counting)
    She could sing first 2 lines of song which she watches more than twice.
    Knows A-Z
    Can sing more than 20 full rhymes(with a little help here and there)
    Has photogenic memory. If she sees a kid with its mother even after a month if we meet then she will recall the kid's name and if the kid doesnt come she would ask the mother where is your baby(name).
    she knows which object belongs to whom even in a crowds of 10 kids.
    She can read simple words like cat, cow, pig which she frequently sees.

Now she is 2 years.

She can solve puzzles, count upto 100(just counting)
    She tells recipes as in how the food is made.
    She can use laptop as in switch on, and operated media player.
    She can use iphone apps and plays angry bird game in it.
    Knows actions and consequences (if ladder has a step broken, she tells other kids not to climb on it because you may fall)
    tries to solve rubiks cube.
    She can draw a fish
    write few numbers like 1, 10, 8, 7

I am telling you all these because even I believe mine is a gifted child and checked for special school options.
    But most of the experts says there is subtle difference between genius and super learner.
    Kids learning speed varies and by 5 years they all be almost equal phase.SO If we put them in special schools now they are in constant pressure to excel.It is very difficult for them to mingle with kids if they feel they are not upto their mark.Also check if your kid can work under pressure(mine cant).
    Tough I am still considering special school option I could hardly find one in Bangalore.

7. Daughterday

Daughterday New IL'ite

My baby speaks all relations and she is only 11 months. Started Walking without any help.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Maya;
    Your DS is amazing. But; I would suggest you to wait a little more maybe for 6 more months and then check again. I have a kid of your age and he doesn't do half of what your kid do:))
    But my first kid (now 4 years) did all these when she was around 16 -18 months; I had put her videos in youtube;)Anyways now she is like most of other preschoolers; right on track but not "amazing" as before.

So; I would suggest to get him evaluated 6 months to one year; then you would get more clarity. Till then keep up reading to him and answering his "never-ending" doubts.

Best wishes
    Nitha