Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

magee, your sil must have been bowled over by your interest in cooking, understandably:)
    wow, gift of a mw ith convection is a real blessing.
    For most of the cakes, dropping consistency is correct.
    A marathon session at a stretch? I can never match up to you:)
    fruit rusk is a great invention!

1 person likes this.
  2. Chitvish

Radhi, dhal dhokli is meal in a bowl:)
    yes, all english vegetables can be added.
    MW ukkarai is hassle free!

3. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Hi Chithra Mam,

I have a doubt. I have bought milky mist paneer from Kovai Pazhamdir, Do we have to fry paneer in oil before cooking Paneer butter masala or palak paneer? I was searching for the tip but could not get it.

Thanks in advance

4. Chitvish

5. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Made Kuthiraivalli Ven pongal on saturday for dinner. Thinai upma was not very well received by my folks, so I decided to make pongal with just 1/2 cup of kuthiraivalli.After DD & DH tasted it, I had only a tablespoon left for taste. It tastes the same as done with rice:thumbsup. Thank you
    Years back we used to live in the north. One night mom was making dosai for dinner for her on saturday. Our neighbour came in & asked why only for you dosa, mom replied saying on saturdays she takes rice only once & rest of the time it is tiffin. Our neighbour said " But dosa is also made from rice!". Though her logic was right, we did not have a answer then. Now I think centuries back millets might have been a regular part of the diet, making 'one time rice only' logical.
    Can we make dosai from thinai following 'Lapsi idli method'?
    Love,
    Damini.

6. Chitvish

Such a detailed FB, Damini.
    Thinai has to be cooked very soft, probably tha was lacking in pongal.
    Yes,make thinai dosai, but add methi for extra softness. Best eaten hot.

7. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Thanks mam for your guidance

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Dear Aunty,

Made "Pori Urundais" for karthigai deepam with aval pori that I got from our local indian store. The proportion of vellam and pori was just perfect for paagu. Loved the way it turned out. With your measure it gave me about 20 urundais (and a little lose). My daughter named it 'Aval Krispies Urundai'. All of us enjoyed the taste and texture. I didn't add coconut pieces this time as it was for neivedyam and didn't have unused fresh coconut at hand. But will keep making this for DD's snack box and probably venture out the puffed rice too.

For any authentic sweets and savory proportions your thread has become a one stop shop for us. Thanks once again aunty for all the efforts you are putting in!

Take care,
    Uma

9. Chitvish

Dear Uma,

As you all know, I emphasise only on tradition & authenticity!! These are not easily available on the net. You feedback is specially appreciated:)

10. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithramma,
    Made Caramel Payasam with semiya for Karthigai. Just soaked fried semiya in hotwater for few mins(is it necessary?), drained it & followed the same method. DH loves semiya payasam only & DD & me prefer Pal payasam & this made all of us happy. You are right, the caramel payasam is very addictive:thumbsup.
    Made pasta yesterday. This sauce is very easy to make & very tasty, I make it very often:).
    Recently made Potato Chakli when I went visit my family. Everyone loved it & got over so quick that there was a demand to make another batch. One of my senior citizen neighbour also liked it. The aunt from my in-laws side was asking me the other day " Your mil said you make something with potato & it is very nice, what is it?" This savoury is always well appreciated. Thank you so much for giving a 'crowd pleaser' recipe.
    Can't help giving a detailed fb:).
    Love,
    Damini.