1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to move on in life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kakku, Nov 15, 2012.

1. kakku

kakku Bronze IL'ite

I have been married for 4 years now.I have a 9 month old lovely baby boy,whom we both adore.It was an arranged marriage,but my parents had given me all the freedom to say the last word.

Right when we were getting to know each other,I realised he spoke less.I took it for a gentleman's attitude.We worked in the same company but different locations.we mostly chatted(spoke only twice) and discussed only general issues.I must admit I was looking forward to meet him and was scared of rejection.Finally the day came we met.I ddnt like him at the first sight.All shabbily dressed,I knew he wasnt the one I wanted(and maybe that showed on my face).I got to know he was a simple country type guy.Our backgrounds were different.I was surrounded b friends and ppl who conversed in english and he wasnt comfortable doing so.That day I had my frivolous friend and his smart cousin with us.They kept teasing us and behaved as if this was going to be it.my husband too kept smiling and blushing.I understood he liked me.I was in the state of shock,confusion and sadness.I said a yes only bcos I ddnt want to hurt him.I knew with what expectation I had gone to meet him.I was wondering how will I react if he said a no.I ddnt want him to go thru it all.And I said a yes.
    Even in that courtship period bfr the wedding, I came to know that our preferences over food,music,interests ...everthing was totally diffr.The only thing that worked was we both were adjusting.

My husband is a good human being.He has got a nice job,is well informed,intelligent,sensitive,loving,caring,a good cook,motivating,supporting me in all walks of life etc.
    what disturbs me is his lack of communication(he just responds to what I say/ask...we both can be in d house together w/o talking for entire day unless I initiate or he asks for some help),his silence,no ambitions,laid back attitude(I had already put a post before on this),no social life( he just lights up with his family),totally dependent on younger brother on financial decisions(I am d last to know,just hope he doesn't get cheated one day).
    Whenever I get upset,I go back to that day I met him and wonder y I took that decision.I guess I am more annoyed with the way I have handled m life.I have seen girls breaking d marriage after engagement or leaving their long time bfs,just bcos they feel they dont gel any longer and I feel stupid at myself for having adjusted to it all when I had d option not to.How many girls actually get support from their parents for choosing their life partners?

It pains me when he simply sits in a family/social gathering.He hardly talks or contributes.I normally avoid being with my family/friends with him.My brother and parents are still not able to gel with him cos of his reticent nature.
    I had discussed this with him and he says thats d way he is.I dont do that now since I dont want to be a nagging and complaining woman.
    I sometime feel I too have become stagnant and nascent like him.
    It pains me when he doesnt open up and discuss financial stuffs with me.Property dealing n stuffs,I never get to know...bil and mil always know whats happening.This also I have discussed but no changes.
    Common with guys,but he never wishes/gifts me on spl days.He says he doesnt believe in these formalities.
    The cultural difference also is painfully upsetting me.I cannt include him when m bother and I yap away in english.God i feel so awful.
    He seems to have no big ambitions.He left a job years ago as he wasnt able to cope up with the work pressure.He is facing similar situation today also and I wonder whats going to happen.

Till date he hasnt ever complained me abt anything and loves me genuinely.this makes me feel even more bad as I always get to question our marriage.Apart from this communication gap thing and financial planning, I hav never discussed anything else as I am afraid it would hurt him.
    I feel sorry for myself.One life and what had i done to it.

How do I counsel myself to get over with all this and move on in life happily?

2. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

you cannot marry someone because you felt sorry for them and did not know how to say no. he is who who he is, has not tried to paint a false picture of who he is. you went in to this knowing he's not the one. you are being unfair.

at this point, you can try and start accepting him as he is. or you can move on.

1 person likes this.
  3. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

I see this as a vent, since you were gracious enough to say yes cos you couldn't hurt the other person :bonk You prolly are going to adjust to live life anyways. No amount of suggestions here is going to change the person your dh is.

4. DivyaBharati

DivyaBharati Silver IL'ite

I can understand what u might be going through, first of all you compromised on the day one for this marriage just becoz ur husband will feel bad so we cannot change that but thank god you got a good husband except for 2 issues which are communication gap and financial planning
    First of all stop regretting about ur past regarding the decision u have made to marry ur husband. You cannot rewrite the past so try to accept the fact that u need to live with him.
    Stop comparing ur life with others whom u think they made better decisions in choosing life partners and their life is far better than you
    No marriage is perfect and every couple need to work on the marriage through out life may be ..
    You said ur husband is very genuine and loving and caring towards you and I hope you are reciprocating the same thing towards him, if not try to be more loving and caring towards him than before

Regarding this communication gap thing, though u need to initiate the talks , so what there is nothing wrong in that , try to know his interests and talk on those subjects .... I was like your husband and my husband was very talkative and outgoing but overthe years I changed so people change but u need to make efforts in involving him more in things which he likes and then he will talk about them.
    U said u have a son so both of you try to involve with him and meeting people who have same age group children and try to mingle with them socially
    There are so many men who talk nicely with women and they will be flirting and having affairs at the back of wife so you are lucky that ur husband is a good person so try to increase the bond between both of you ... Try to go to some new places , vacations ...
    When relationship between u and ur husband grows stronger then he will disclose himself more to you ...

Divya

1 person likes this.
  5. apaasn

apaasn Gold IL'ite

I totally agree with everyone who said that you made the mistake of saying yes when you wanted to say no.
    You married him because you didnt want to hurt him.
    What about now? Do you want to hurt him by saying all these things?
    Either you accept him for what he is or just leave him if you really cant take it anymore.These are the two options.
    Trust me,you cant change him or anyone overnight.Dont worry about him not talking to friends/relatives.Worry about him talking to you.
    He talks openly to his family because they dont judge him,they accept him,love him unconditionally for what he is.You stop pressurising him,accept him genuinely and slowly he will open up and talk to you.:my2cents

1 person likes this.
  6. Akkamma

Akkamma New IL'ite

This is officially my first post. I'm a new member to Indusladies. I have been a silent reader as a guest for a while. I am a 24 year old single woman. I don't have experience being in a marriage but I think I'm capable of providing feedback to those in need of advice.

To each, the problem the person is facing is a BIG issue. Take a step back and look at your husband as a big picture. If you ask me, your husband being someone who communicates with you very little shouldn't be a reason for you move on in life. Have you tried bringing up a topic he's really into? Maybe that might help him. My dad wasn't much of a talker when my mom married him. He still isn't. He's communicates better now than before.

7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

kakku,

Maybe I am mistaken but I dont see such a big problem with your h. Sounds like he is quiet, family type guy, loyal to family members. Is that so bad? Son-in-law being quiet in family gatherings is usually appreciated as a sign of humility and maturity. Think again. I dont want to go point by point but I feel you are being very hard on yourself unnecessarily. Please stop telling yourself you felt sorry and said yes. That is also a source of your angst.

Look there are 2 kinds of problems in married life. One is the daily minor irritations, the daily khit-khit, or the natural rubbing together of 2 different personalities. The other kind are the really big, insoluble problems like infidelity, no love, addiction, jobless and refuses to get a job, dowry demands, quarrelsome or wantonly cruel person etc requiring parents or lawyers to step in. Sounds to me like your problems belong to first group. By no means, am I minimizing the daily irritations you are going through due to personality differences. But you should understand that everybody has that. That is why we come to IL, to crib and vent and read others stories and feel better. Try to find a way around the daily irritations. To me, it doesnt sound like you have such a big, deal-breaker kind of problem that you have to contemplate divorce.
    He loves you genuinely and you have a child you both adore. That is worth keeping, isnt it? Use your smarts and tackle the remaining issues creatively.

1 person likes this.
  8. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Heyyy Akkamma..........where is Jakkamma?....................................................................................from under chair: sorry sorry...please ..could not control it. i dint write that ...you dint read that. okay?
    so welcome here :D

7 people like this.
  9. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

And.. did I read it or not?:rotfl
    If Akkamma likes your bit, I am in, else I don't know who you are. :hide:

2 people like this.
  10. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

chi ...drohi (chair)a friend in need is a frend in deed is a frend in need.......write this ten times daily.

1 person likes this.