1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Agreement- Why every wife needs one

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sdiva20, Nov 14, 2012.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Marriage Agreement- Before I get into my post, I wonder how many people have watch “The big bang theory” . For those that are not familiar, it is a comedy show with a bunch of nerdy characters and quite funny. We love the show. My favourite character - Sheldon Cooper, an obsessive- compulsive personality. Well, in the show when he decides to share his apartment with a roommate, he draws an extensive “roommate agreement”. Well, that gave me idea that maybe I should create a “Marriage Agreement”.

Well, I went ahead and drafted a comprehensive agreement. I will be honest and say was lopsided in my favor. Why not- I drafted J. He refused to sign it claiming unfairness so I had to resort to some deviousness and email it with disclaimer that if email is read, it is implied that the contents are agreed upon and totally binding.

Does any of you have any such explicit or implicit agreements with your DH? What are some spoken or unspoken rules in your marriage?

4 people like this.

2. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

lol!!! I remember the room mate agreement in the big bang theory and the prenup b/w barney and quin in how i met your mother!!!

3. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

hehe.. no rules is the rule. :)

2 people like this.
  4. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

LOL!!!!! I am a huge fan of Big Bang Theory!!! and Love Sheldon !!! but no I don't think I can draw an marriage agreement. After all its a marriage and NOT a business arrangement!!

But we do have some spoken & some unspoken agreements.

We both have to discuss & agree for big ticket items.
    Respect eachother's likes/dislikes. ( I don't drag him to chick flick & he doesn't drag me to action movies , for example)
    Have a joined front in front of kids.Don't discard each other's parenting.

and unspoken
    I do all the work & he enjoys the couch LOL!!!!! ( jking)

3 people like this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Some of the points from my agreement is:

1. H will not deprive W of the cuddling time in mornings, evenings are any time she chooses
    2. H shall wake up at the latest by 8.30Am on weekends (he loves to sleep in and I am extra energetic on weekends). If he needs to sleep later, he needs to get written approval and limit such approval to 5 times a year. Under no circumstance shall H sleep past 10.00AM.
    3. H will seek to spends quality times with W everyday
    4. H will not try to ingrate himself with (our dog) in such a manner that upsets W. (we constantly trying to win bigger share of doggy’s attention J
    5. H will not rush W in Pottery Barn, Home goods, William Sonoma or any other stores. He will endeavor to make all shopping experiences as enjoyable for W as possible. He should also happily volunteer to pay for any article that W purchases even though H may deem it silly.
    6. H shall make sure the going forward, Christmas trees are purchased the weekend after Thanksgiving. He will also agree to help with other outside decorations and lights. H shall volunteer to help with the tree decoration. He is welcome to seek doggy’s help as he is an awesome resource (last year he was late in purchasing the tree)
    7. W reserves the right to change or update the agreement with or without any further notice. H is bound by this regardless.- VERY IMPORTANT
    Must admit though- harder to implement allof these. he is constantly breakign all the rules :(

7 people like this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Last one- not fair....killing me girl

1 person likes this.
  7. apaasn

apaasn Gold IL'ite

Ha Ha,The roommate agreement is really ridiculously crazy,I love Shelly,love the show!Its too late to draft a marriage agreement for me now but i can think of some unspoken rules :

No partying in Vegas with friends without me.
    We have to eat out atleast twice during weekends.
    DH must do the dishes the day I do manicure.
    Never fight in front of kids.
    Never say anything bad about the wife to other people (in laws,other realtives,close friends included)
    Always praise my cooking skills.

Will add as I remember,thats all I can think of now.:)

7 people like this.
  8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I like 'The big bang theory' and Sheldon is my favorite too :-D

Well some of the spoken rules I presented to DH before marriage were:
    1. Unless it is horribly inedible, he should not criticize my cooking. I had no experience at that time and thought that I would be a failure. But, I turned out to be a very good cook, not only him, but even his friends like it. When I ask them for lunch/dinner, they have their own list of what I should prepare :-D
    2. He will never ever criticize me for talking on phone. I should be able to call my parents and any number of my relatives, friends whenever I want. He must not try to supervise or restrict me in any way.
    3. He should cook for me once in a while.

He has no problems with 1 & 2, but does not follow 3. He cooked for me only twice in these 2 yrs. :rant

From his side the only rule was I should give up non-vegetarian eating. Not even egg. I did that too, without complain. But recently I had some serious health issue which doctor said was only because of severe deficiency of protein. So DH panicked at that, and I'm now allowed to eat non-veg outside and he himself forces me to eat 1 egg everyday at home :-D

3 people like this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Yoour list is great- but I made my list after marriage too- inspired by Sheldon. My husband rues the day he got me into this show. Draft one (you can add as you go) and EMAIL with the "disclaimer"

2 people like this.
  10. ruknights

ruknights New IL'ite

this agreement might be use for AMY lol.. love sheldon.. if i made this list, my dh would have said go marry sheldon :D

1 person likes this.