1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling by train with 3 yr old for 30 hrs

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by krozwindz, Nov 10, 2012.

1. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hello everyone
    I will be travelling AC 2 tier with my 3 year old daughter. I am worried about feeding her for the duration of the travel. SHe is used to only home cooked food like dal chawal, fish curry and etc which are roughly mashed by hand (not fine mash). While travelling i can prepare one meal and take, but i dont think all i can carry all meals. For example, i can take the lunch but how and what to feed her the whole day. I can take banana for one snack, and apple which i can grate for another snack. But other meals what else can i do? Please give me some suggestions.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krozwindz
    Rice based dishes wont last for long .... maximum 8 hrs...But does she eat chapathi? if so I suggest you carry some Khakra and few chaklis and some such also I think you can carry chapathi you need to prepare dough with milk and make chapathis and few pickles/chutney powders... Boil potatoes but dont peel the skin, potatoes in their pouch will stay longer and you may carry few of the vegetables baby usually eats at home with you of course take a small knife plate too dont forget to take sippy cup... To keep baby occupied you may take picture books or comics

After you come back please update us here how you managed what all you took...

1 person likes this.
  3. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

You can carry curd and milk separately.. and mix with rice while eating. prepare the rice just one/2 hrs before boarding the train. for snacks you can carry nuts, biscuits, etc...
    fruits and raw veggies also work well as its AC compartment.

Bottom line is - during travel dont try to stick to schedule/healthy/nutritious food - its more important that she eats.. its a matter of 30 hrs, out of which i guess she will sleep for atleast 10 hrs...

4. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

not sure if this works but try approaching the pantry guyz for help. They may be able to get few things locally when the train stops in any station. Also you can risk getting down (but take care if you are travelling alone) to buy some fresh food whenever the train stops for longer hours. Get a loaf of bread which can stay good for 2 days that too in AC compartment. Get a jam bottle and give her bread jam.

5. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

I travelled with my twins with bread, fruits, nick knacks, chapatti.. ( mind it any stations in India have stopped keeping bananas( ESP te small ones which we give kids ) since it has become very expensive ) I would suggest you carry in bulk I experienced ths recently.
    they also ate the pantry food ESP dal chawal . You can always request them for it.
    But I faced unhygienic toilets... ... On most of the travel route I was desperate to get to a hotel .
    Always carry bisleri/ aquafina ... Don't buy any other brand water ... Again look out not all stations stock these brands ..

6. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I didnt know that potatoes stay good longer when in their jackets. I have some questions and please please help
    1. I will be taking chapattis with me but she doesnt eat them as such..They need to be soaked in warm milk and softened... so i am not sure how to get warm milk..Any ideas... I was thinking may be i will carry milk powder and a flask of hot water which i can have replaced from the pantry.. Will that work..??
    2. If i carry the amul curd packets, will they be able to stay good in the ac compartment?
    3. We will be boarding at 730 pm. SO we will take her dinner with us. I will take bananas as suggested (Thank you) and biscuits and apples and chips for b'fast until lunch. She can have bread (she just takes a bite which is not enough to fill her tummy). WHat do i do for lunch? May be she can eat dal chawal from the pantry. But is there something i can prepare from home the previous day which will stay as long for an just in case scenario? Any ideas please.
    Thank you

7. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    During the train travel don't expect your child to eat the same quantities as in the house since they might be relatively idle not that they might be sitting all day but the physical activities might be restricted since its a moving train so just ensure she is eating don't force or expect the same quantity... The moving motion of the train ,people etc keep them excited so try to avoid the afternoon nap for a good sleep at night for your kiddo
    Regarding food if she likes idli they are the best bet!! So is curd rice, if your kiddo likes lemon,tamarind rice all these stay good in ac . Also if you are aware of Te remain fresh for long. yes milk powder with hot water will definitely work but has your kid liked the taste of milk with milk powder ensure that.. Some kids don't like it.
    Curd a few handy is ok but I would suggest try buying it in big stations since curd can get sour soon.
    If she likes eating veggy try taking few cucumbers, carrots , tomatoes etc make like a salad and give her.
    I travelled by train to vijayawada, Kerala from Mumbai ,,... But I sttill didnt find bananas . If you are aware of theplas they too are handy and remain fresh for a week .
    Also if your kid likes Kellogg's choco that also is a good option to have .. With warm milk. You also get warm milk in the pantry if you ask.
    Take care
    Ramya