1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to handle my DH wierd behaviour :(...need some advise

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pallavi99, Oct 27, 2012.

1. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

I agree with hgulla regarding the budget,you guys may visit a financial planner ,and start saving for your son's education account,retirement ,house ,and giving him extra money, may not be big amount,with no questions asked is a good idea too,don't dig the past matters,in any buisness losses and profits are common, in this case trusting the distant relatives,tell him that you are ready to forget the mistakes happened because of his overtrusting,ask him what you guys could do for your better financial future,that way he feels he has control over this issue and he may soften, take care

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Sometimes611

Sometimes611 Senior IL'ite

Agree with hgulla. Its more about the msg and doing things with consent. He is upset with you because he might be think you do not like his family enough and that you were ok having a joint account until u were not working but monetary independence now has moved u to make the decision. In some families, even distant relatives (2nd and sometimes 3rd cousins) are very close. Is his family anything like that? Trust me, sooner or later he will understand that your kids need proper education too. Your son is his too.

And at the end of the day - just decide whether you want to make it work or not. It is tough and it needs hard work. No one is denying that. But, it needs to be done anyway. So, just accept that he loves his relatives and he would like you to be his partner. Slowly, re-build the trust. Start by trying to please him and find an occasion when both of you are in relatively pleasant mood. Start by apologizing and tell him u realize u made a mistake and that it gave a wrong msg. Explain the details not in a way to justify but just as if you are presenting the facts for him to make a choice.

It is easier said than done. But try it. Good luck!

3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Actually , I do not agree that the OP should "please" him.Actually OP , it has served as a good oppurtunity to know his other side.How could he send money to his relatives without discussing with you?And calling your brother and parents for complaining is quiet annoying thing.It shows he does not have any respect and value for you.Blunt truth.He is basically not-so-good kinds.And snatching the car away from you is too much.HMmmmm...in the same IL I see men providing Green card even after they know both would be divorced and here you see a man snatching away the car (for which she contributed too) also...

There is a mistake from your end as well.Do not try to make things alright in a day.Go slow.Make him realise your importance and yearn some respect first.

2 people like this.
  4. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

Bhuvnidhi,

Everybody have their own way of expressing anger. Some are more graceful than others. I don't know if you can conclude that the way he behaves now, is his other side, I disagree on that. I think he is handling his frustration in an immature way. He was taking care of her well when things were all fine and even when she was not earning, I think that is more important here.

The main problem in any relationship is ego, someone has to let go here. I don't think OP will be stooping low by adjusting, I think basically both need to save this relationship which can go dangerously wrong if this continues on. The unfortunate victim here would their son. The money isn't the problem here anymore as I see it, the problem has turned to trust.

1 person likes this.
  5. pallavi99

pallavi99 New IL'ite

Pallavi,

Sorry to hear about what is happening to you. But I don't think that you are disclosing all the facts that had lead to this situation in your case. Few things that seem to come across when I think of your situation.

1. You said he sent money to his relatives without your knowledge. How did he do that if you had a joint account. If his intension was to hide it from you, he could have sent that money in many different ways that you will never know. The assumption is that you got to know about this when you checked the joint account.

Are you saying you did not have a clue that he was going to send money to his relatives or someone from his relatives had approached him for financial help?.....I don't think so!....

2. When you separated your account, you said he gave you money that you earned. Was this something you had asked for?....I am assuming you must have argued with him that the joint account has your hard earned money and must have asked to give it to you.

If he did give you money that means he is fair enough to give you what you have earned and eventually completely broke his trust on you.

You did mention that he gave you SOME money, looks like you were expecting that he gives you pay-check to pay-check that you have earned till date. I smell at lot of trouble here. Looks like you are more money minded than your husband.

3. Did your life-style degrade because of him giving money to others.

Did you ever thought that he might have been helped by his relatives when he needed money and he is giving back to them.

Remember families are formed by helping each other and being there for each other. Don't you think you or your children would look for someone in your relatives for help either emotional or financial whatever the case may be.

4. You said he lost money or his money got struck when he invested with his relatives. What if this was a case with a total stranger like a real estate agent in India you sold you heaven but when were done with it you realized that it was heaven. Do remember investments are risky in nature.

Did he not make any money on this investment?....Atleast the money is with his relatives and some day it will come back......not like strangers....

5. You said he has taken away the car from you and asking to spend 50% on all things.

Did you do anything further to break his trust & frustrate him besides separating the account.

Looks likes there is more here that you have to disclose than what you have said. All you have said so far just relates to money and that too which would come out of your pocket. That's what he is asking you to do. Looks like he wants you to realize that there is more to a relationship than money.

Remember honesty is the best policy when it comes to seeking advice. You don't want to hide facts and seek advice that will create more problems for you.

Looks like he wants you to know what it takes to spend money rather than just earn it and save it your account. It is all about responsibility.

Someone in this post said that your money is like safety net. I would ask why cannot a husband's money be a safety net for the family.

Someone in the post suggested Suze's show on financial matter. I have seen a lot of shows of her. The gist there is she always says both should spend equally and save/invest responsibly. When it comes investments there is always risk. Even Suze cannot guarantee any investment strategy that will yeild returns that will meet or exceed your expecations.

6. You also said he is now asking you take your own Medical Insurance, I am assuming you are still covered under his Medical insurance all these 9 years. Why do you think your husband should be the one who should take the Medical Insurance. I know a lot of families where the wifes have taken the Medical Insurance for the family.

7. You said your husband scares your child not to be close to you....I am assuming your child must be not more than 8 yrs old. Not sure how some body can scare a child not to think or talk to the mother....I think this is somewhat articulated by you....

If you think your child is scared to be close to you....think twice.....Your child might not be feeling the difference of not being close to mom....that's a very bad situation for you to be in.....

8. You said your husband calls your brother & parents when you have arguments....Looks like he is reaching a dead-lock situation with you and was looking for someone you trust would talk to you to resolve the dead-lock situation....

I think he was still trying to patch-up with you in this case.

Your brother or parents on the other hand might have aggravated the situation more by getting frustrated over this and not understanding the need for them to intervene.....

Who would not be frustrated, if some one talks bad about my children or sister...I would also be frustrated or mad......But one thing I would definitely think before getting frustrated is who is that person telling me about my children or sister......Hope you understand what I am trying to say here......

All in all what you have said so far is money.....nothing else......and that too the money you have to spend...You did not say your husband has bad habits, cheats on you, spends money unneccesarily.......

Looks like you have to work a lot harder to get back your Husband & Child.......By all that you have said I think you completely lost your Husband.....He might be thinking of you as person who cannot be trusted....

You will be dealing with broken trusts, broken hearts & lots of frustrations in you way up......Good luck....My prayers are with you.....I hope that things will change for you soon....Keep trying....

3 people like this.
  6. needhelp123

needhelp123 Silver IL'ite

Wow..could it be that OP H wrote this and used OP id??????

1 person likes this.
  7. DeviRadha

DeviRadha Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pallavi,

I think your husband must have posted the long message above just as needhelp123 thought. Really sad that your husband and you are locked in this argument. Assuming your husband is reading this forum, I want to write to him:

Dear Pallavi's husband,

All your points are well taken. Don't you think your wife is concerned about her own decision? She is hurting so much. You need to show some kindness. There is no right or wrong in a husband-wife relationship. Sorry if it offends you and other straight shooters on this forum. Marriage serves us better when we care for each other, particularly when our spouse is hurting. From what you have written, you are upset. Please do not be like that. You are definitely right to be angry. But, you know, we need to treat our spouses as special people. They are the ones that deserve the most understanding.

I have been reading this forum for many years and never wrote anything. I didn't even have an account. When I read Pallavi's post, I couldn't stay quiet. That is why I wrote those messages before. Many years ago I did the very exact mistake. I did not understand why my husband was caring about his parents and extended family so much. Much more than his siblings who were enjoying the family wealth right there in India. It took for me years to understand, money is not everything. My husband felt he must be there in person with his parents and others to help when they were sick or had some serious problems. Because we lived in US, he couldn't be there for them. He felt the only way he can compensate was sending some money to them when they were sick or broken. I know you are doing something similar to that. Your wife will understand that. Please do not be hard on her. There are other people in the forum who are probably angry at my point of view. I am OK with that. Between husband and wife, the general rules do not apply. Very often some of our actions (such as your wife opening a separate account) may seem like a serious mistake. In the long run, it may not be a serious one. Think about it, how does it matter if the money is in your account or her account? A husband and wife must forgive each other. Extramarital affairs and physical abuse are a whole different thing. I am not writing about those. Money is absolutely not worth fighting for when it comes to marital happiness.

So, Mr. Pallavi's husband, as a somewhat older person and Indian, I ask you, you must love Pallavi again without any reservation. The very fact that she posted this message seeking advice tells me she regrets what she did. You found it so easy to get into her IL account. That shows she is not covering her path like a manipulative person would. She is good. She wants to be little extra careful. Isn't that good for your family? So please be kind.

All the best to both of you,
    DR

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
    3 people like this.
  8. AlishaT

AlishaT Silver IL'ite

DeviRadha said it so beautifully!

Mr Pallavi's husband (if this is really who you are), you do have the right to be angry but if your wife's intension was never evil to begin with, then forgiveness should come from somewhere within you. She meant no harm. Maybe she was trying to protect your money but went too far out? Perhaps she did not realize that when you were the sole breadwinner you could not afford to spend/give money to your relatives that easily but now you are able to cuz situations have changed. Your wife has never seen this point of view of yours and you should tell her why you are giving money to your relatives. Maybe try to explain that during times of need, they came to you and your family's help and it is ur turn to show/care in ways you couldnt earlier. Be more transparent with your wife too. In this entire arguement you were wrong in not being more open with her.. If you had spoken to her prior to sending money she wouldnt have done what she did so far (extreme measures like separating bank accounts). Please dont fight guys hope it will be alright with you guys. God bless!

1 person likes this.
  9. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Assumption: a very dangerous word in relationship.

No one likes to be taken for granted. How difficult can it be to just mention, "Dear, so-and-so relative of mine needs some money for this-and-this. I'm sending it to them, because he/she helped me that time when I was in despair about................" Why to assume that she will find it out anyway, that she will be OK/NOT OK with sending? Why to assume that even if she is not OK, she won't do anything about it?

2 people like this.
  10. Jasmine83179

Jasmine83179 New IL'ite

Hi Pallavi,

I am a regular viewer of IndusLadies but I never replied to any of the threads before but I could not restrain myself after reading this thread.

When I was a kid, every time I complained about someone my parents (especially my mom) would ask me what did I do first even before listening to what I had to say about others. This had taught me a good lesson, to always question yourself before complaining about others because pointing fingers at others is easy. Try to retrospect about the things that happened between you and your husband first before thinking or saying that your husband is at fault.

If things were fine between you two before you started to work, may be you should answer yourself these questions first.

Did you or your behavior change after you started working? Did you start behaving weird? Are you the same as you were before you started working? May be you feel that you are independent now and do not care about your husband or his feelings anymore.

I have some friends who do not know the exact meaning of being independent and they think that they are independent so they can do whatever they want like leaving their husband and living by themselves i.e. literally screwed up their relationships.

When people say be independent (at least in India), they mean financially be prepared for the worst case scenario but they do not mean have your own bank account or own house.

In marriage, you can not be independent. Both spouse depend on each other for everything. There is no "me" in family, there is always "us" or "we" in family. Do you really think this way?

According to you who all are part of your family? just you, your husband and your son?

Whether you accept it or not, at least in India marriage means marriage between families and not just between two people.

Even if your intentions were right how you express it to others also matter. How did you express it?

If your husband is helping his relatives financially or whatever, it may look weird to you because I am guessing you were never in a joint family before. But for a person like me who come from a joint family it is perfectly alright to help each other within family when in need either financially or morally. After all, that's what family is for right :)

My husband is also from joint family and he helps his family (which includes his cousins) financially and I am perfectly fine with it. And I am sure he feels the same when my family is in need.

Would you not help your parents, brothers, sisters or cousins (if you have any) when in need?

And you said that he gave some money to some of his relatives when you had joint account without telling it to you. If it was a joint account why wouldn't he tell you? something does not add up. How did you find out and what did you do about it? I mean how did you exactly handle it.

I don't think getting a separate bank account was the solution for it. It would further screw up your relationship as it happened in your case.

What did you do that made he take away the car keys? You need answer us but at least you should answer yourself all these questions before you blame your husband.

When we were kids, I use to fight a lot with my siblings. So if siblings who grow up together in same environment have so many differences and have to adjust so much then you can only imagine marriage is between two people who grew up in different environments how much each have to adjust.

It is a two way street and both wife and husband have to adjust. You cannot say I will not adjust and only he has to adjust. There is a difference between thinking that you are adjusting or compromising and actually do it. So before you think or say that you are the one adjusting or compromising question yourself, am I actually doing it? when you actually do it the other person will automatically acknowledge it.

It all depends on your priorities, whether you want money or family? For some people, money is the priority and they do not care about family but for some people like me family is first. You cannot have everything.

You have to choose what is your priority and act accordingly. People like us on this forum can only advice you but you have to decide what you really want to do in your life. So I wish you good luck on what ever you decide.

One last piece of advice, please do not try to manipulate and always be honest in any relationship.